Author Topic: The Great Orme  (Read 218251 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: The Great Orme
« Reply #555 on: January 24, 2017, 12:42:28 pm »
Especially the green stuff ...... $fan$

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #556 on: January 24, 2017, 08:28:47 pm »
I remember that flocks of sheep used to end up in Happy Valley, happily munching all of the plants!

Wasn't that why they re-did the cattle grid?.................And made it easier for them to get down from the Orme? :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #557 on: July 13, 2017, 11:09:31 am »
Ewe rams farmer's dog off Great Orme into the sea
Dan Jones, of the National Trust Wales' Parc Farm, thought his dog, whose rescue was caught on camera, was 'a goner' after cliff fall.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/ewe-rams-farmers-dog-great-13322549

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #558 on: July 13, 2017, 12:35:35 pm »
It's 'Shearing', not 'Sheering'.. for God's sake.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #559 on: July 13, 2017, 02:23:49 pm »
Exactly the point I made about editing.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #560 on: September 27, 2017, 05:54:18 pm »
'Legendary' Great Orme Royal Welsh goat Lance Corporal Shenkin II has died
Described as a 'total poser' who 'loved a crowd', the goat was a figurehead for the battalion.

The Kashmiri goat who originally hailed from the Royal Herd at the Great Orme in Llandudno, passed away on Tuesday at the age of seven.

The Queen has been informed of the goat’s passing by letter, and has been asked to give permission for The Royal Welsh to select a new goat from the Great Orme in Llandudno.

The process of finding Shenkin’s successor will start soon, but in the meantime, Llywelyn, the Regimental Mascot for 1st Battalion The Royal Welsh, will take over duties.

The royal goat herd was originally obtained from Mohammad Shah Qajar, Shah of Persia from 1834 to 1848. He presented the animals to Queen Victoria as a gift in 1837 upon her accession to the throne.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/royal-welsh-goat-shenkin-dies-13684262

Offline SteveH

« Reply #561 on: March 07, 2018, 04:56:02 pm »
The Royal Welsh has a new mascot - Siencyn (Shenkin) IV. The Army said they had some difficulties in getting the right goat who was found high up on the Great Orme, Llandudno but in the end their perseverence paid off. refDP

Offline Hugo

« Reply #562 on: March 07, 2018, 05:08:21 pm »
I saw them trying to get Siencyn the first time and I could see why they were determined to get him as he stood out from the others.

Offline Dwyforite

« Reply #563 on: March 08, 2018, 12:50:20 am »
poor kid press ganged into service,i thought that was illegal now

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #564 on: March 08, 2018, 08:16:30 am »
 _))* _))* _))* _))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #565 on: March 08, 2018, 09:03:52 am »
poor kid press ganged into service,i thought that was illegal now

Hope the poor beast is happy in his new life.......................after all he is a wild creature. ! :(
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #566 on: March 08, 2018, 09:36:55 am »
At least he'll smell a bit better Nemesis.      ;D

Offline Dwyforite

« Reply #567 on: March 10, 2018, 12:36:45 am »
years of square bashing to look forward to instead of looking down on to Llandudno on a summers morning,what a s**t

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #568 on: March 11, 2018, 08:46:58 am »
  I not really happy about the removal of one of the goats from the Orme so that it can be “trained” to adapt to living with humans in our environment.
  I am not a devoted anti cruelty to animals person. However I doubt anyone could argue that this goat is better off away from any other goats. As fas as I know it also seems surprising that the previous goat died aged 7 years whilst their normall life span living in their herd is 14 years. A coincidence? Makes you wonder.
  I not sure where I read this opinion fairly recently. He/she wrote “why don’t the army leave the live goats alone and go and buy a toy goat to lead their parades?”  I am inclined to agree

Offline SteveH

« Reply #569 on: July 27, 2018, 02:32:46 pm »
Message from  Dan Jones, Great Orme shepherd.

Hi everyone – I hope you’re all coping with this heatwave. It’s made for some challenges up here on the farm. We’ve had cases of some sheep straying into residential areas recently and I’d just like to assure all my neighbours that I’m on the case!
Part of my role is to heft a brand new flock to the Orme, which is still in progress. This year it’s particularly challenging because the hot, dry weather has burnt much of the grasses and the sheep are making for the fresher grasses further down the hillside. To help manage this I am supplementing their feed and have taken on more staff to help with the hefting.
As an area open to public it’s hard to completely stop livestock up here straying, but Parc Farm landowners the National Trust are working with other partners on the Orme at ways to try and minimise any disturbance to local people.
Some people have raised concerns about ticks from livestock. I can assure everyone that all of my sheep have been treated for ticks twice this year and will be treated again in a couple of weeks. Veterinary advice is that this routine keeps our Parc Farm flock tick-free (and we have seen no ticks on sheep or handlers here at the farm.) Unfortunately ticks are around in the countryside and there has been an increase nationwide this year, so check out the advice from the National Trust website https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/fea…/ticks-and-lyme-disease or the NHS advice on what to look out for and how to deal with it https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/lyme-disease
I really appreciate everyone’s co-operation and if anyone wants to discuss anything do get in touch with me here on Facebook.