Author Topic: The Musical Career & Memories of Stan Ryder  (Read 5107 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
The Musical Career & Memories of Stan Ryder
« on: October 01, 2010, 09:40:05 pm »
RIP - STANLEY GORDON RYDER 1919 - 1998 - THE MUSICAL CAREER AND MEMOIRS OF STAN RYDER[

Stan Ryder, (Stanley Gordon Ryder), was born 9 a.m. on the 19th September, 1919, at the village of Unsworth, near Bury, (Greater Manchester), and christened at St. George’s Church, Unsworth.\r\n\r\nLater the family moved to 123, Lily Hill Street, Whitefield, and, after a short time to 62, Nipper Lane, Whitefield. From this last address, music lessons were commenced. I was regarded as a child prodigy in music, and, over the years developed into a pianist, organist and piano-accordion player of distinction. I hope the Diplomas, LLCM, ALCM, and ATCL, (Certificate of Special merit for the Trinity College of Music). This outstanding talent in music began to show at the early age of five years, when I chose to beat away with my hands on a tall stool. I was so persistent with this activity, my parents decided the best course was to buy a piano, and this eventually came about. My lessons commenced at the rate of one shilling per week with a Mr Arthur Wilcock, who used to visit pupils over that period, with a single call each time. Good progress was made, but, after twelve months, Mr Wilcock decided a higher standard of tuition was needed.\r\n\r\nThe next person chosen for my instruction was a Dr. Walker Crossley, FRCO, who had a high reputation in his profession. He resided at Dales Lodge, Dales Lane, Whitefield, (Greater Manchester). My parents had moved from Unsworth by that time, and it meant travelling to Dr. Crossley’s House. His fee was 4/- per week for our hour. (£2.2s.0d per quarter). Dr. Crossley also taught the Theory of Music, and Harmony, etc., in preparation for examinations, which were graded up to the diploma stage. This proved to be a financial strain on my parents, (Harry & Florence). My father worked as a Loom overseer, and my mother as a calico-weaver, both connected with the cotton industry. At that time I attended Whitefield Council School, (Higher Lane). This entailed about a half hour’s walk. School commencing at 9 a.m. and finishing at 4 p.m. I left school at 14 years of age, and was first employed on a milk round, along with my father who had entered the milk business. It then transpired that I suffered a nervous stress, and as obliged to give up evening school, in order to concentrate on music studies. In due course, the milk business was sold, and a grocery business was undertaken in Chesham, Bury. By that time great strides had been made with music lessons. I had passed most of the local examinations, and was nearing the diploma stage. It was in that area that I made my debut on the amateur stage with Chesham Minstrels. This was good training for I was required to accompany singers for the first time.

By the age of 18, I gained the Diploma ALCM, followed by the Diploma LLCM at the age of 20. Also I received the Certificate of Special Merit for passing all the Theory of Music examinations for the Trinity College of Music. After these successes, and still under the tuition of Dr. Crossley, I commenced lessons on the organ at St. Thomas Church, Radcliffe, near Manchester. It is interesting to note that this as a William Hill 3-Manual Organ, which came from the Nave in York Minster. It had been installed in York Minster in 1863 and placed in St. Thomas Church, Radcliffe in 1904. Studies were then commenced for the Organ Diploma, ARCO, but, unfortunately, were interrupted and discontinued by my war service in the Anti-Aircraft Section of the Royal Artillery, which lasted from 29th July. 1940 to July, 1946.

As the war progressed, there was not much time for music, as I was engaged on combat duties, firstly, anti-aircraft guns, at Holme Lane, Oxton, Birkenhead, during which time heavy air raids were encountered. The guns were moved around from time to time, they even went to Burro Head, Scotland, to be used for firing practice. After serving two years in England, the Regiment 93rd/289 Battery was dispatched to the Middle East. Prior to this move, we proceeded to Havant and Yeovil, before embarking on the troopship ‘Stratheden’, which sailed from the Clyde on 19th January, 1943. Within one day, auditions were held for the formation of a concert party, in order to provide entertainment for the large number of troops accommodated on the ship. 12 people were chosen, together with a Ships Band, and, at the audition, I played the Warsaw Concerto. This was the piece that was played every day during the voyage. The ports called at were Freetown, February 13th, Durban, February 25th Aden, April 11th Bombay, March 19th. 3 days leave was granted at Durban, and there was a change of ships at Bombay. We sailed from Bombay to Basra and Port Tewfiq, arriving March 29th and April 27th, 1943 respectively. We had now entered the Suez Canal Zone: having arrived in the ship called ‘Yoma’. Now stationed in the Western Desert, such places were covered as Mersa Matruh, Tobruk, and Alexandria, with another brought down on September 17th.

At that time the guns were constantly on the move changing positions all the time. September 21st saw more German casualties, and on September 29th a move was made near to Cairo to defend the Airport Heliopolis. A move was made to the Suez Canal on October 24th, and on October 26th, an enemy plane was sighted but out of range. A stalemate seemed to develop at that stage, as the war was turning in the Allies favour; air raids gradually disappeared, and the Regiment was moved to Syria, by way of Palestine. A strenuous journey through the mountains brought us to Syria on November 14th, with a short stay at Aleppo. Leave was granted to Baalbec and Beirut, and during that leave I was invited to play with an orchestra in the Kit-Kat Club., Beirut. My performance must have impressed the army authorities in the entertainment field, as I was posted to the Royal Artillery Base Depot, Heliopolis, near Cairo on the 4th July, 1944. I was then attached to the Entertainment Section of the Army Welfare. My duties were with the Royal Artillery Dance Band, Cairo Forces Network and a Concert Party called ‘Musicians in Uniform’. Another programme broadcast was ‘Keyboard Time’, where I was able to play my own solos. A further Revue broadcast was ‘Sound Waves’, and also ‘Your Company is Requested’, with Ronnie Corlett, (Tenor), and Muriel Clark, (Soprano), together with Easton Brothers.

A new programme was introduced on October 12th, called ‘Especially for You’, with Kay Langford. I was also called upon to play the organ for a Harvest Festival service in St. Barnabas Church, Heliopolis, and, furthermore, I was presented to Anthony Eden, (who was then Foreign Secretary), on the occasion of his making a broadcast speech, from the Studio of Cairo Forces Network. Several of the artists broadcasting at the time formed a Concert Party, called ‘Yulesmaile’, and appeared at places such as the Y.W.C.A., Church of Scotland Hall, Garrison Theatre, etc. Approaching Christmas in November and December, 1944, arrangements were made for an all male pantomime for the troops, and an orchestra was formed, half of which were Italian prisoners-of-war, mostly violinists and guitarists. In the orchestra, I had the honour of filling the position of pianist-conductor, and the show opened on December 24th at the Base Depot Camp Theatre, followed by a tour of Cairo and surrounding districts, including a hospital. By mid-January, 1945, I had returned to the Royal Artillery Dance Band, which played for various dances within the area.

This continued until November 3rd when I joined a Revue called ‘Gin and It’ (on Tour). This terminated on December 15th, from which date I had several engagements as a solo-artist. As the release programme was now underway, many of the entertainment artists were in process of being released from the forces. I, myself, now had served five and a half years, and with only a few months remaining, my own release was uppermost in my mind during that period.\r\n\r\nOn December 21st, a number of us were surprised to find ourselves on the move to a Transit Camp at Aswan. This was a considerable distance from Cairo, incorporating South Suez and the Sudan. Our journey was broken for a short while at Luxor Temples and we finally arrived at Aswan on December 24th, with hectic preparations for Christmas Day. An E.N.S.A. party arrived for our entertainment. It was then a matter of awaiting repatriation, which took six months before further developments. A piano-accordion was provided by army welfare to allow me to play for entertainment in the meantime. Repatriation finally commenced on 29th July, 1946, with a train journey from Aswan to Port Alexandria, and from there by troopship to Toulon in the South of France. We crossed France by Rail to the Port of Calais, then across the English Channel to Dover. We were ‘kitted-out’ at Reading, and supplied with our ‘Demob suits’ at Oldham, in Lancashire. A long journey and an eventful military career then ended at my home address, 12 Moseley Avenue, Bury.\r\n\r\nOn my return to civilian life, I obtained employment at the Air Ministry, Heywood, Lancashire. Although this was a daytime occupation, engagements were fulfilled as a pianist and organist also. A small group was formed, known as the ‘Star Trio’, consisting of piano (Stan Ryder), saxophone (George Hopkinson), and drums (Jimmy Armstead). The equipment, including the drum outfit, was transported by a motor-cycle and side-car, owned by George.

We appeared in Clubs and Dance Halls, and I was also appointed organist as St. John’s Mission Church, Seedfield, Bury. I commenced having pupils of my own, giving lessons for piano and theory of music, entering them for exams connected to the London College of Music, In 1958 I played piano in the orchestra for the musical ‘Brigadoon’ presented by the St. Andrews Operatic Society, this was performed for 1 week at St. Andrews School Radcliffe near Manchester, I also played for the Oliver School of Dancing in Heywood Lancs.\r\n\r\nI ought to mention that my former tutor, namely Dr. Grossley, passed away on 15th March, 1945, at the age of 62, which of course, was during my war service. In consequence, my further organ tuition was given by Mr A. Mounford, FRCO, who lived at The Drive, Seedfield, Bury. Lessons were given on the organ of St John’s Mission Church. At that time, electronic organs were being installed in many Hotels and Clubs in the Manchester area, especially by the famous organ firm SWANS. I was invited by them to demonstrate some of their organs, and this led to quite a successful run throughout the forties and fifties. During April, 1959, I ‘took the plunge’ and decided to turn professional, and soon I became organist with Bertram’s Mills Famous Circus Band, who were touring Lincolnshire. After three months, I carried out a summer season as pianist at Square’s Gate Holiday Camp, Blackpool. As a familiar ‘red-coat’ I needed to be a good all-rounder in serving the holiday-makers. I was sports organiser, and involved bowls, table tennis, darts and even football.

The Christmas period I was engaged in Pantomime at the Theatre Royal Orchestra, Huddersfield, under the direction of Johnny Rockett from December 24th 1959 to January 23rd 1960. I filled a similar capacity with Pontins Holiday Camp at Weymouth, (Ossmington Bay). This was followed by a winter season at the Rialto Bingo Club, Coventry, and appearances in some Yorkshire Clubs in the Doncaster area. During the Christmas period of 1960 I was on a Hammond Organ at a fisherman’s club in Grimsby, Lincolnshire, playing for top line artists.\r\n\r\nFor the 1961 season, I moved to the Embassy, Skegness, where I was engaged by the Council for two performances a day, 10.45 a.m. and 2.45 p.m. On Wednesday evenings, there was an open-air show by the lake, with fireworks. Also scheduled for Thursday evening a dance at the Derbyshire Miners’ Holiday Camp, (piano and drums), Sunday evening, a celebrity Concert with a ‘Star’ Name, occasionally an appearance with the piano-accordion, along with the pianist Florence Andrews at the Sun Castle. This was a very eventful season with ‘big-name’ bands at the Embassy on Saturday evenings: these were Joe Loss, Acker Bilk, Temperance Seven, Joe Loss and his band was televised for the Embassy, Skegness. Further noteworthy events were the appearance of Pat Phoenix, a Coronation Street Star at the time, the switching on of the illuminations, riding down the promenade in a landau.\r\n\r\nThe following season, 1962, still found me in Skegness, but at the Arcadia Theatre, again with a Circus, but indoors. This went under the name of Walter Lucans, and performances were twice daily. A Compton Organ was used, along with percussion. In go between seasons, engagements were procured through the medium of an Agency in Manchester, who booked me to play for a pantomime season at Stockton Hippodrome and Bridlington Spa, the panto was Cinderella starring Donna Douglas as ‘Cinders’, this was a run of 6 weeks. 1963 brought the beginning of a very extended period at one venue, the Open-Air Theatre, Happy Valley North Wales.

This show was led by Scottish comedian, by the name of Alex Munro, a popular and accomplished entertainer. At first there were three performances a day, but these were subsequently reduced to twice daily, and finally once daily. I functioned both as pianist and organist. Evening shows were held in the Llandudno Town Hall for a few years, and later to be held in the Pier Pavilion and Grand Theatre. The last show to be held in the Grand Theatre was on 5th October, 1980. We were then left without a theatre, and it meant some ‘end-of-season’ shows were taken to the Gaiety, Rhyl, and Preston Guild Hall and Victoria Hall, Halifax. A full summer season of evening shows were performed at the Coliseum, Rhyl, with Sheps Banjo Boys. Alex Munro was also responsible for pantomimes being featured at all three theatres in the town of Llandudno, namely, the Arcadia, Pier Pavilion, and the Astra. In the latter, a cinema organ was to be found, and I took advantage of this by playing in the interval, much to my delight. I was also invited to play two cinema organs in Liverpool, one at The Mayfair Aiburth and The Classic Crosby, both Compton organs, I also went to Harrogate, Yorkshire to play a Wurlitzer organ at Dale Hall Hampswaite, a small village outside Harrogate. This was for an audience of Cinema Organ Society members.

On another date I played a Christie Cinema Organ at The Leeds Road Garden Centre, Pannal, Harrogate, this recital was put on video for sale to cinema organ audiences. These unforgettable shows at the Happy Valley Theatre came to an end at the close of the 1983 season. I did have a break from the Happy Valley Theatre during seasons 1973 and 1974 playing at Sun Valley Holiday Camp, Rhuddlan nr. Rhyl. This entailed playing for Dancing and Talent Contests with Drummer Jack Smith the camp organiser, who, like myself, also came from Bury. So it was from one valley to another. I have since played as solo performer in local Hotels, (Llandudno and Colwyn Bay). In Llandudno I played at The Esplanade, Marlborough, Southcliffe and St. Kilda and in Colwyn Bay, Greenlaws where I did a broadcast on radio with my father Harry Ryder, we were interviewed by Alan Barham, BBC presenter, followed by 2 songs sung by Harry and accompanied by myself on the organ. I must mention here we did a broadcast from Happy Valley Theatre, in the Summer Season of 1977, and I played the organ on BBC TV in 1967 demonstrating the organ playing for the show ‘Back to the 80s’. I was playing various shows for charity including Llandudno Operatic Society for 3 consecutive years 1985/6/7. I was on piano with orchestra for the show (1 week). This entailed many months of rehearsals for which I was again on piano, the shows performed in those 3 years were ‘The Student Prince’ (1985), ‘Bless the Bride” (1986), and ‘Finian’s Rainbow’ (1987). During this period I played at the Old Peoples Centre, and the Endeavour Club, Llandudno Hospital. I played the piano, organ, piano-accordion, and gave impersonations of pianists Russ Conway, Charlie Kunz, Winifred Atwell, and Semprini. I also conducted a Name-That-Tune competition, request items, etc., also playing for dancing.

I am at present, organist at the English Presbyterian Church, Llandudno Junction. During the Summer of 1991, I played for a show called ‘Bless em All’ a back to the 40s revue, starring Effie Star, Maggie Leon, both having done much entertainment in the past, Maggie was following in father’s footsteps as he was a singer touring the halls as Al Leon in the group known as The Big Brass Six, if a cinema organ was available Al made use of it by playing with the band. This revue included songs and monologues from the war days. I myself dressed in army uniform. The accompaniment for the show was just a piano, dare I say it, (NAFFI), Effie Star took this role of a land army girl and Maggie Leon as red cross nurse and tea-urn lady, the show ran a short summer season at the Church House, Rhos-on-Sea. On a visit to a sale of work held in the schoolroom of Rhos-on-Sea United Reformed Church, I met a musician, who had served in the Middle East with the forces during the Second World War at the same time as me. He had been stationed in Palestine for several years, and, as a drummed, he led the dance band, a seven-piece combination, including two Christian Arabs on alto and tenor saxophone belonging to HEADQUARTERS, British Forces in Palestine and Trans-Jordan. This came out in the course of conversation, so I informed him that I also led a military dance band in Egypt of a larger size, built up partly from Italian prisoners of war. We both thought this was a most remarkable co-incidence, and that we should learn of it in a chance meeting.

The drummer, whose name was Archie Gallon, was about the same age as myself, and had a similar lengthy experience in playing for entertainment and dancing. He expressed a desire to play for dancing once again, so I negotiated the inclusion of a drummer with my organ-playing at the Esplanade Hotel in Llandudno. This led to regular weekly engagements over two summer seasons, and I can confidently state they were a great success. This was so evident from the reactions of dancers and listeners alike. We gave ourselves the name of ‘The Rhythm Revellers’ which was always displayed prominently on a stand in front of us, while we were playing. We both gave each other solo work, with myself excelling in such pieces as the Warsaw Concerto, impersonations of Russ Conway, Charlie Kunz and Winifred Atwell, whilst Archie, on drums really ‘went to town’ with his version of the ‘St Louis Blues’, played in a military style, as introduced in wartime by the Glenn Miller Orchestra. The tuneable tom-toms were much in evidence with the stressed rhythm. All these items were very firm favourites all round. I also organised a few competitions, mostly guessing, for which there were small prizes for the winners. These always cause much fun and laughter.

On the 10th March 1990 Archie and myself played for the New Decade Revue at The United Reform School, Rhos-on-Sea near Colwyn Bay. This was produced by Hazel Browne. Artists included Gerald Littlewood (Baritone) Danny Marteil with Modern Songs, the Town Hall’s Hazel Brown and Hilda Sharpe, Harmony Duo, Maggie Leon, comedy and old tyme songs, plus Pearl Shaw Dancing Troupe, music provided by myself on piano and Archie Gallon Drums.\r\n\r\nArchie is also regular percussionist for the Conway Theatrical Society with their Annual Pantomime in Conway Civic Hall. I must confess we are both very proud of our long careers, and thoroughly enjoy playing together. We have developed a perfect understanding, and have never any doubt as to what the other is going to do with our variations. Also, as I often point out, we specialise in ‘finishing together’ and I mean with the music, of course. It may seem conceited but we never feel any need for rehearsals, and we are both of the same opinion in this respect.\r\n\r\nWe have also for the last 5 years been playing for the Song and Dance Festival connected with the Townswomen’s Guild, we play for the section known as Colwyn Coffee Morning Guild, directed by Hazel Brown. These performances are given in The Theatre Colwyn every November, we have also made a recording for The Talking Newspaper for the Blind (Aberconwy Area).In conclusion, I would like to refer to the wonderful encouragement I have received from Gracie Fields in the 70’s, The message she have me on a postcard from Capri was KEEP GIVING PLEASURE TO OTHERS WITH YOUR MUSIC. This I endeavour to do, and I hope to do so for many years to come… STAN