Author Topic: Ludo's Photos & Drawings Thread  (Read 15257 times)

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
Re: Ludo's Photos & Drawings Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 02:23:03 pm »
I recall that shortly after the promenade had been resurfaced, a charity ' Pram Race ' was refused permission to use the Prom. on the grounds that the would ' damage ' the surface. So a couple of horses pulling bus would have no chance.   ;D
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Ludo

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 02:32:50 pm »
Well, with a little web 'surfin' safari' I see that the Omnibus in question was originally a London horse drawn Omnibus - the forerunners of the Routemasters etc. Perhaps an enterprising Londoner had a go at reintroducing them as a green transport initiative!.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=llandudno+horse-drawn+omnibus&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1423&bih=882&tbm=isch&tbnid=7xMxbbrKs0bW8M:&imgrefurl=http://explow.com/London_General_Omnibus_Company&docid=orBbxHstWDHbaM&imgurl=http://gb.fotolibra.com/images/previews/400240-london-horse-drawn-omnibus.jpeg&w=624&h=398&ei=4tHyT6ibCKqd0AWhoPS4Cg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=741&sig=109034528895757459873&page=1&tbnh=154&tbnw=218&start=0&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:78&tx=125&ty=68

EEK! that's a crazy long URL. Dave - could you please explain how I can link a URL to a one word place holder? - so much neater and nicer to look at...
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 02:43:32 pm »
Try:

http://tinyurl.com/ 

££$

Offline Ludo

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 03:12:21 pm »
Interesting - thanks Bri!

Offline Ludo

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 02:46:47 pm »
I am often asked by my friends and colleagues here in The Netherlands 'What do you miss most about your homeland?'. Well, there seems to be a little bit more every year, but at first I would always say: the mountains (obviously), really good traditional fish and chips (amazingly it is not possible to find over here), and speaking freely in my native language. We have a 'city farm' very near our house and all day I hear the sound of goats bleating and a particularly noisy cockerell who depending on the weather, can shatter a glass at a thousand paces.

So, added to my list of missed things must be the sound of Larus argentatus or the Herring gull. Living far inland I never hear them and after a long period of time when I do hear them whilst working by the beach or on holiday, they take me back instantly to my early years in Llandudno. Thus on my last visit I was reminded of Richard Bach's fable Jonathan Livingston Seagull, by some particularly bold specimens and after looking at the photographs when I came back home, I decided to make this tribute to them (click the RSPB sound link for best effect):

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 03:47:31 pm »
OMG-- Don't think that you would miss them as much if you heard them at the moment-- A night's sleep would be good! This morning they were creating at 3am and I have been bombed twice in the last week as I walked past a garden where two were guarding a baby. I managed to dodge behind a gatepost, so they came in lower and had a pop at the dog. The second episode later the same day nearly got my OH, he didn't dodge quickly enough!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 04:05:23 pm »
last one for now - and then I'll leave you all in peace for a bit and carry on with my work this afternoon. This is a blast from the past - 1980 to be precise. My Dad took these pictures of a horse drawn Omnibus operating from the Pier entrance, and the advert is from the Advertiser I think.
This rings a very vague bell... It's still a good idea, actually, but perhaps better suited to going along the Prom itself, rather than the road.
The cyclists might not like that!  ;D

Although I stand to be corrected, I believe that horse riding is allowed on the Promenade.  :cyclist40: :cyclist40:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ludo

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 04:27:22 pm »
OMG-- Don't think that you would miss them as much if you heard them at the moment-- A night's sleep would be good! This morning they were creating at 3am and I have been bombed twice in the last week as I walked past a garden where two were guarding a baby. I managed to dodge behind a gatepost, so they came in lower and had a pop at the dog. The second episode later the same day nearly got my OH, he didn't dodge quickly enough!

Tee Hee - yes I am sure you are right Nemesis, I can imagine if you had to live with them every day it would be more like 'Jonathan Livingston Hassle'.  I still love them though. I feel the same way about our cockerel actually, who is as I type this going for the world record in 'crows per minute'. It is great waking up in the morning with the sound of nature (even if it is a rambunctious cockerel), but I must admit to having daydreams about roasted chickens on plates sometimes - chef's hats on the legs and all the trimmings and all...

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 02:52:20 pm »
How different it is living by the German Ocean. Grey brown seas and gulls - but not Herring Gulls so no perpetual cries; and how I miss them.

Whenever we've made the journey from east to west coast, the atmosphere begins to change to a softer, kinder ambience as we leave Chester and the welcoming squereeches as we come over Craigside hill bring goosepimples. The wet buffeting wind off the Irish sea is also a favourite that isn't quite replicated elsewhere and when someone in flat, featureless old Norfolk complains about squally rain I always tell them I love it because it reminds me of home.

Hiraeth!

Mike.
Micox

Offline Ludo

Y Ddraig Goch ar daith...
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 04:14:22 pm »
The Nijmegen 4 Days Walk  came to an end yesterday with the spectacular finale to the festival which saw 40,000 walkers from all over the world limping to the finishing line after four days and 200 kilometers of gruelling marching. I was very proud to see Y Ddraig Goch flying high above the crowds - near the front of the column - some of the guys were from Llangollen  $walesflag$

Offline hollins

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2012, 07:17:13 pm »
It's a small world!
Did you do the whole 200 kilometers Ludo?

Offline Ludo

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2012, 10:27:44 pm »
Hi Hollins! - No, I didn't take part this year - perhaps next year...

Offline Ludo

Blades: Suppliers of the famous 'Megaprints' (Regd.)
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 06:50:40 am »
Rooting through a dusty box of old family photographs the other day, I found that I have a number of old photoprint wallets from Blades the Chemists in Llandudno. They were the photographic service we always used to get our family 'snaps' printed. Blades was an old fashioned chemist shop with shelves up to the rafters with rows of mysterious jars of fantastic shapes containing liquids of an amazing variety of colours.

As a boy, I always thought of it as a really strange, frighteningly fascinating place, where my parents used to take me after I had been ill to buy a barleysuger lollipop. They had mysterious medicinal qualities which completed the recovery process and ensured that you never had the same illness ever again - or so I thought in my little world.

So, I thought I would post this example of one of their photographic wallets here. As you can see they were really well made with real stitched seams and heavy duty card. So well made in fact that they have survived to this day in relatively good condition after 60 years of use.

Finally, I would urge all photographers on here to pay particular attention to the 'Useful Suggestions' on the back page - I found them very useful indeed as a photography refresher course, and my snapshots have improved considerably as a result. Item #10 on the list was particularly interesting to me, as my trusty Coronet Anastigmat  camera has recently developed a fault with the bellows. It has been a very reliable camera through the years and well worth the 48/- However, having phoned Blades at the telephone number on the cover of the wallet yesterday, I could not get an answer - perhaps they are closed at weekends now...

Offline Paddy

Re: Blades: Suppliers of the famous 'Megaprints' (Regd.)
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 06:58:37 am »
However, having phoned Blades at the telephone number on the cover of the wallet yesterday, I could not get an answer - perhaps they are closed at weekends now...

Loce it.  _))*

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 07:02:29 am »
However, having phoned Blades at the telephone number on the cover of the wallet yesterday, I could not get an answer - perhaps they are closed at weekends now...

I wonder if Craigydonian knows the answer.  $cool$