Author Topic: Ludo's Photos & Drawings Thread  (Read 15260 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Ludo's Photos & Drawings Thread
« on: July 02, 2012, 10:45:17 am »
A thread for Ludo to post his excellent photos and drawings in. Other members are, of course, free to comment here also.  $good$

Offline Ludo

Re: Ludo's Photos & Drawings Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 11:31:30 am »
Well thank you Dave and the team!. I will try and do it justice with some interesting stuff. Perhaps I can post things as I find them and then see if you think things need to be moved to a more specific thread - I'll leave it all up to you, but yes - I'm inspired already to go rooting through my boxes and storeroom to see what I can find....
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Offline Ludo

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 01:00:24 pm »
Ok - let's kick things off with the theme of our treasured forum - the three towns of Conwy, Llandudno AND Colwyn Bay. I hate to say it, but I retain copyright on these so please let me know if you ever want to use any of them (although why anyone would is beyond me now). These are drawings I made in my sketch book back in the 1980s and where memory allows, I will try to tell you a bit about each one:

First is this drawing of Llandudno pier. The eagle-eyed will see which of the photos I posted earlier this drawing is based on. It was made purely for my pleasure, but it ended up in some brochure or other a couple of years later I think.

This one is from the same sketch book and is of Castell Conwy from Deganwy. It was used in lots of things - even ended up on the front of the Castell Conwy 'Castle Class' Crosville open topper!. I still have some limited edition prints left of these drawings if anyone is interested - no? - thought not....

...and completing the 3 Towns trio, is this sketch of Bae Colwyn Pier - sadly neglected I see now as are most of the UKs piers. Which is what makes Llandudno pier so special. It is now one of the best examples of a Victorian pier in the whole of the UK (Brighton Palace pier has been so hacked about it is not in the same class). I worry more and more that Llandudno pier will some black day fall prey to the same dark deeds as befell Hastings, Brighton West pier and Southend. Maybe we should have some kind of watch system to keep it safe - it really is that valuable...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 01:12:30 pm »
Excellent! How long would something like the drawing of Llandudno Pier take you to do?

Offline Ludo

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 01:14:02 pm »
Continuing the three towns theme (well two of them anyway), here are another couple of pages from my 1983 sketch book: The first is actually a drawing of my nephew enjoying the services of Olwen Burroughs' charges on the sandy Llandudno beach beside the silvery sea - he has never seen this drawing so I really hope he likes it!.

This one is self explanatory really - it's small, it's very small, it is in Conwy it's the.... smallest house in Great Britain

Offline Ludo

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 01:16:36 pm »
Excellent! How long would something like the drawing of Llandudno Pier take you to do?

That style is actually really quick - and great fun to do!. I never really bother about getting things exactly right - it gives more 'life' to the drawing if you can see it is drawn by a human... if I remember correctly it was about three hours.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 01:30:48 pm »
Truly amazing. &well&

Offline Ludo

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 01:31:59 pm »
While flicking through my sketch books guess what I found - a page with a drawing of the exact camera equipment including my beloved Canon AT1, which I used to make the photos I posted earlier from 1981 - vis a vis: http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,261.msg48028/topicseen.html#msg48028.

Now I realise this is a ridiculous level of detail, but I thought I would share, as I now have my own thread and all  :D

Offline Ludo

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 01:33:48 pm »

Offline Ludo

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 01:51:18 pm »
Changing the subject a bit and going back to what I said earlier about making a Sketch Up 3D drawing of the Football Ground, I downloaded the Grand Hotel and Pier model and made a few screenshots from different angles to show you a little bit of what I mean. It's not a particularly good model this, and there is a curious figure jumping into the sea! (maybe this was the artist driven to desperate measures by the complexity of the task). Anyway here are the pics - there is actually an amazing 3D drawing of Llanfairpwll railway station in the 3D Warehouse - but that's another story....

He or she must have run out of patience half way through the drawing as it is legless towards the end of the pier. Funny that, I seem to remember that people were mostly legless at the other end - in the Dolphin Bar!

and this is the one with the chap taking a long walk off a short pier:

Offline Ludo

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 02:46:13 pm »
last one for now - and then I'll leave you all in peace for a bit and carry on with my work this afternoon. This is a blast from the past - 1980 to be precise. My Dad took these pictures of a horse drawn Omnibus operating from the Pier entrance, and the advert is from the Advertiser I think. Does anyone remember this venture? - I wonder what happened to it in the end. It seems to have an Alice theme, maybe it was ahead of its time, or perhaps it was a cunningly disguised time machine bringing curious time travellers from the Victorian era to rescue Llandudno from future decay...

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 04:53:42 pm »
Excellent Ludo and really very interesting. Please do keep "rooting"!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 10:08:36 am »
Bell ringer has said it all! Excellent, keep them coming!  D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 10:15:56 am »
last one for now - and then I'll leave you all in peace for a bit and carry on with my work this afternoon. This is a blast from the past - 1980 to be precise. My Dad took these pictures of a horse drawn Omnibus operating from the Pier entrance, and the advert is from the Advertiser I think. Does anyone remember this venture? - I wonder what happened to it in the end. It seems to have an Alice theme, maybe it was ahead of its time, or perhaps it was a cunningly disguised time machine bringing curious time travellers from the Victorian era to rescue Llandudno from future decay...
This rings a very vague bell... It's still a good idea, actually, but perhaps better suited to going along the Prom itself, rather than the road.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 11:29:41 am »
The cyclists might not like that!  ;D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas