Author Topic: Genealogy - Llandudno early families  (Read 40369 times)

Offline mikeh

Looking for William Henry Jones info
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 11:40:02 am »
Mike has asked me to remove this post as a relative mentioned is still alive.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 06:09:00 pm by DaveR »

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
Re: Genealogy - Llandudno early families
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 04:19:21 pm »
welcome to the forum, I've got a 1929 directory in which there are several  W.H.Jones' but without knowing  the occupation it would be difficult to identify your relation, there is an A Jones at 16 Council Street which is listed as "Apartments".  Llandudno Junction Listings are similarly vague. I have a couple of 1930's holiday guides which I will check for the Guest house, sorry not to be of more help!

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 06:57:58 pm »
That 1929 Street Index of yours is very handy Suepp, it saves a trip to the Archives!      I was there on Monday and had a look at the Street Indexes for 1925,1929 and 1939 but there are a number of W H Jones' in it so it is impossible to say which one is the person we are looking for.  What is good about the street indexes is that they list the main breadwinners alphabetically and make it easier to find them unless their name happens to be Jones!   ???
There was a W H Jones living at No 1 Oxford Road Llandudno (which is around the corner to Council Street)  but without more to go on I couldn't tell if this was the person Mikeh is looking for.
No trace of Charles Edward Jones in any of the indexes either.

Offline mikeh

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 01:38:14 pm »
Thankyou for being so helpful.
I've checked on my copy of my nain's (Gwladys Thomas) wedding certificate and it says that they were married at Minera Parish Church 1923 and William Henry Jones was a BUILDER aged 24, his father's name is Thomas Jones and he was also a builder from 17 Council st, Llanrhos, Llandudno.

Blodwen Thomas married Charles E Jones in 1927 at Conway.
Laura Thomas who lived with them was a daughter of Gwladys and Blodwen's brother Thomas Thomas, Laura lived in Llandudno Junction all her life even after her aunt blodwen and uncle charlie died.
Hope this extra bit of info helps.

$thanx$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 03:17:44 pm »
Both W H Jones and C E Jones should be in the 1929 Street Indexes given the details you have supplied Mikeh.  Was Charles a builder too?
17 Council Street  Llanrhos may actually be 17 Council Street Llandudno as it is in the Parish of Llanrhos ( or Eglwysrhos in Welsh)  as a lot of the early records refer to the Parish rather than the town.
There is a village called Llanrhos nearby but I don't know of any Council Street there now.
The Council Street in Llandudno has been renamed Norman Road for some reason.    I'm not sure when I'm going to the Archives next but I'll look again then.
It's a longshot but Micox did a fantastic family tree that he put on a previous forum (now deleted) and I think he was related to a Jones family who originated from Isaac and Miriam Jones nicknamed Yr Ogof as they lived on a cave on the Orme (prior to 1877)    If your relative is from an old Llandudno family then he could be related although there are hundreds of Jones' in the town.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 04:23:13 pm »
There's a Mrs R Jones (Apartments) at 17 Council Street. In the alphabetical listings one of the WH Jones' are listed as Builders but there is a W Jones Labourer at Elvira, 4 Pleasant Street which is  listed as "Apartments" in the Street Section and there is a W Jones & Sons Builders, Contractors and Undertakers at Gogarth Works, 7 James Street with the Residential address for the same person as "Bryn Aber"in Lloyd Street, The street address states his occupation as "Plasterer"

There again there are also  W Jones' listed with no occupation stated!  As for Laura do you have a surname? or the name of her husband if she was married, or even   the approximate year she was born, as after 1912 mothers maiden names are often listed on Birth entries

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 05:34:44 pm »
I don't recognise those Joneses as my small chunk of that variety but I'll keep the possibility open.

What I am annoyed at is the removal of my original Stallard/Jones entries on this forum. As I remember I started the genealogy forum and did a lot of work to give it substance. I also approached it with the knowledge that all the entries (by some who are now dead) could be a contribution to Llandudno's social history. Now my work and the hard work of many others seems to have been just thrown into the rubbish bin out of hand.

Somewhat of a disincentive to contribute further to this forum.  $smack$
Micox

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 05:52:27 pm »
I think you're thinking of the Llandudno Local forum, Micox. This is a completely different forum, with different owners, we would never dream of throwing relevant posts away.

We do have a copy of the old Forum database (kindly supplied by Kindways) and have tried to retrieve posts from the old forum but it's very difficult to do and many posts are missing due to the various problems the old forum had. Nobody lost more posts than myself on the old forums (Llandudno and Colwyn Bay Locals), representing many hours of research etc.

Both Ian and I have have contributed many hours in setting up this new forum, not to mention several hundred pounds of our money in order to provide a service for the local community.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 06:32:09 pm »
Nobody lost more posts than myself on the old forums

I did.  :(

Yorkie

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 06:45:26 pm »
So did I . . . . . .  >>>

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2011, 07:05:52 pm »
I've posted below my Llandudno family branches. My Gt Grandparents John and Ann Jones moved to Llandudno from Welshpool in the early 1870s and their children permeated every corner of the town. The second list is my family on my mother's side, my Nain's children - just one of the well known Llandudno branches:

Descendants of Jones, John
1.   Jones, John (b. 1837 - Llanfair Caereinion)
sp. Jones, Ann (b. 1836 - Llanwyddelan)
2.   Jones, Evan (b. 1859 - Welshpool, Montgomeryshire)
2.   Jones, Jack (b. 1861 - Welshpool, Montgomeryshire)
2.   Jones, Sarah Jane (b. 1863 - Welshpool, Montgomeryshire)
2.   Jones, Anne (b. 1865 - Welshpool, Montgomeryshire)
2.   Jones, Lucy (b. 1867 - Welshpool, Montgomeryshire)
2.   Jones, Rose (b. 12 July 1869 - Welshpool, Montgomeryshire, d. 2 April 1972 - 6 Cwm Place, Llandudno)
sp. Stallard, Frederick (b. 9 February 1865 - Sandhill Street, Commercial Brow, Newton, Cheshire, d. 12 November 1935 - Llandudno)
2.   Jones, Mary (b. 1871 - Welshpool, Montgomeryshire)
sp. Ogo), John Jones (Jack yr (b. - Llandudno)
2.   Jones, Maggie (b. 1873 - Welshpool, Montgomeryshire)
sp. , Griffith Hughes
sp. , Hughes
2.   Jones, Elizabeth (Betty) (b. 1874 - Welshpool, d. 1910)
sp. Beaumont, George (b. 1869 - Ludlow, d. 1949)

Descendants of Jones, Rose
1.   Jones, Rose (b. 12 July 1869 - Welshpool, Montgomeryshire, d. 2 April 1972 - 6 Cwm Place, Llandudno)
sp. Stallard, Frederick (b. 9 February 1865 - Sandhill Street, Commercial Brow, Newton, Cheshire, d. 12 November 1935 - Llandudno)
2.   Stallard, Charles (b. 1889)
sp. Hobson, Leah
2.   Stallard, Mollie (b. 1891 - Llandudno, d. 1947 - Llandudno)
sp. Goodey, Len (b. - London, d. )
2.   Stallard, Jack (b. 1893, d. 1919 - Llandudno)
2.   Stallard, Bob (b. 1894 - Llandudno, d. 1930 - Llandudno)
sp. , Sally
2.   Stallard, Norah Anne Trilby (Tillie) (b. 1896 - Llandudno)
sp. Charlton, ? (d. between 1914 and 1918)
sp. Hughes, Joe (d. - Llandudno)
2.   Stallard, Fred (1) (b. 1898 - Llandudno, d. 1978 - Llandudno)
sp. Beaumont, Rose (b. 1903 - Liverpool, d. 1987 - Llandudno)
2.   (Mellie), May Elizabeth Stallard (b. 1900 - Llandudno)
sp. Edwards, Harry
sp. Duckenfield, Jim
2.   Stallard, Rose (b. 1903 - Llandudno)
sp. , Fred
sp. Humphreys, (bos'n Cox)
2.   (Nell), Ellen Stallard (b. 1905 - Llandudno, d. 2000 - Llandudno)
sp. Pritchard, Clifford Bradley (b. 1900 - Wrexham, d. 1 January 1976 - Llandudno)
2.   Stallard, Lucy (b. between 1906 and 1907 - Llandudno, d. 2001 - Llandudno)
sp. Lewis, Albert
2.   Stallard, Marguerite (b. 25 December 1910 - Alexandra Road, Llandudno, N.Wales, d. 17 September 1969 - 17 Cwm Place, Llandudno)
sp. Cox, John (1) (b. 21 March 1910 - Penrhynside, N. Wales, d. 21 January 1994 - Bungay, Suffolk)

Heddwch.

Mike.  <:<:<:<
Micox

Offline Sara

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 10:39:25 pm »
There's a Mrs R Jones (Apartments) at 17 Council Street. In the alphabetical listings one of the WH Jones' are listed as Builders but there is a W Jones Labourer at Elvira, 4 Pleasant Street which is  listed as "Apartments" in the Street Section and there is a W Jones & Sons Builders, Contractors and Undertakers at Gogarth Works, 7 James Street with the Residential address for the same person as "Bryn Aber"in Lloyd Street, The street address states his occupation as "Plasterer"

There again there are also  W Jones' listed with no occupation stated!  As for Laura do you have a surname? or the name of her husband if she was married, or even   the approximate year she was born, as after 1912 mothers maiden names are often listed on Birth entries

The W.Jones of Gogarth Works 7 James Street was my great great grandfather. He married Jane Hughes daughter of Richard Hughes of Anglesey. William Jones had four sons Richard, Gwilym, John Tudno (my great grandfather) and Joseph.

Offline karenjadejoy

Re: Welcome!
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 07:17:10 pm »
Hello,
i guess is this is where i intro myself.......

I have been reading around this forum for a while,  looking into Llandudno and trying to find out bits and pieces of info.
My grandmother was born in Llandudno in 1900; Margaret Anne pearl Hughes (another Hughes !!! plus Owens!! when one goes back a bit)

Margaret married my grandfather there  a Harry Southworth.
Harry's Father - john "jack" Southworth played in the pavilion Orchestra for thirty years in the summer seasons. along with at least one brother Tom. during the early 1900s

i have gleaned much interesting info reading the threads here, and have been reminded of bits and pieces from my own childhood visits to Llandudno and memories (my grandparents emigrated to waunfawr,  caernarfon, though i grew up in Liverpool :) )

Thus i have a few names and places which i am trying to get an overall picture of,  how they lived who or what they were etc etc
look forward to connecting with you all.
Karen

Offline Hugo

Re: Re: Welcome!
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 09:01:41 pm »
Welcome to the forum karenjadejoy and I hope you can get the answers to any request you may make for info on here.
I presume that this is your G Grandfather Jack Southworth who must have been a very talented and versatile character:-

" THE career of gentleman centre-forward Jack Southworth carried a remarkable symmetry.

In 139 appearances for Blackburn Rovers, Blackburn Olympic and Everton, he scored 139 goals.

He won three England caps - and scored three goals, and in his second - and sadly - final season for Everton he had completed nine matches and scored nine goals, when injury cruelly ended his career.

But over the Christmas period of 1893, the player dubbed ``the prince of dribblers'' by one newspaper substantially bumped up his ratio.

After two goals at Sheffield United and one at Blackburn earlier in the month, Southworth returned to the Toffees' new Goodison home and scored four in an 8-1 annihilation of Sheffield Wednesday.
Off the pitch Southworth proved just as talented as he had been on it.

In 1910 he became a member of the Pier Pavilion orchestra at Llandudno where he played the tuba. Later he joined the BBC Northern Orchestra.

He was also a scratch golfer, an expert billiards and snooker player and a crown green bowler who won several tournaments after the age of 80.

He died a couple of months short of his 90th birthday in 1956 at his daughter's home in Wavertree, still the proud possessor of Everton's individual scoring record. "

Offline karenjadejoy

Re: Re: Welcome!
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2014, 03:38:10 pm »
Welcome to the forum karenjadejoy and I hope you can get the answers to any request you may make for info on here.
I presume that this is your G Grandfather Jack Southworth who must have been a very talented and versatile character:-

" THE career of gentleman centre-forward Jack Southworth carried a remarkable symmetry.

He died a couple of months short of his 90th birthday in 1956 at his daughter's home in Wavertree, still the proud possessor of Everton's individual scoring record. "

hi hugo, norman thanks for the welcome
thats the man !!!

i believe he and his family (my grandfather and his sister) used to stay in Rose cottage, and he used to play golf at the old 18 link course on the summit of the orme.

thanks i do enjoy this forum   i have found odd bits and pieces and just moments of interest to read.