Author Topic: E - Readers: Kindle, iPads and others  (Read 18236 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: E - Readers: Kindle, iPads and others
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2013, 08:44:37 am »
I presume that everyone knows that if they own both an iPhone and iPad and / or have a Mac computer running 10.8 that all texts are free?

One particularly useful Ap is Face Time where you can see and speak to someone anywhere in the World free of charge.   My Daughter is off to Africa for 3 months and this will be the regular mode of keeping in touch.
 >>>
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2013, 09:03:48 am »
I haven't used that, yet.  How does it compare with Skype?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2013, 12:13:55 pm »
    At last, at last, I have at long last found Ian making an incorrect assumption.
    "I presume that everyone knows etc etc"
     Well I did'nt!!!   Mike

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2013, 12:19:30 pm »
 _))* _))* _))*

So you're now rushing out to get an iPhone?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2013, 03:02:30 pm »
I presume that everyone knows that if they own both an iPhone and iPad and / or have a Mac computer running 10.8 that all texts are free?

I've had iPhones for a few years now & only found out a couple of days ago why some text messages are blue instead of green. It's a handy way of knowing which contacts have iPhones (as long as they have iMessage switched on)
Valar Morghulis

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2013, 03:07:04 pm »
My (lucky) Son has been at the CES in Las Vegas for the whole week and I'm waiting 'till he gets back to hear about all the latest gadgetry.  Some of it never fails to amaze me and probably many others too.
 :>:>
Cicero

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2013, 03:18:30 pm »
My (lucky) Son has been at the CES in Las Vegas for the whole week and I'm waiting 'till he gets back to hear about all the latest gadgetry.  Some of it never fails to amaze me and probably many others too.
 :>:>

The big things this year seem to be 4K televisions, smartphones (no surprise there) and The Internet Of Things.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2013, 04:34:23 pm »
We have just bought a Samsung Smart tv, a 40" led 3D set, it replaces the old CRT 26" set which we bought new 8 years ago! The picture and sound quality is excellent and the 3D is amazing! We also bought a 3D blue ray player to go with it, tonight we have the 3D Avatar film to watch (not seen it before!)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2013, 06:05:05 pm »
We have just bought a Samsung Smart tv, a 40" led 3D set, it replaces the old CRT 26" set which we bought new 8 years ago! The picture and sound quality is excellent and the 3D is amazing! We also bought a 3D blue ray player to go with it, tonight we have the 3D Avatar film to watch (not seen it before!)

They seem to be concentrating on Ultra Hi-Def (4K) as the future of televisions for the time being instead of 3D, as the take-up has been disappointing. The ultimate goal is 8K which is thought to be the limit of the human eye, I think the thought process is that 8K will be of such a high definition that it will give a 3D effect without the need of glasses.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2013, 06:15:38 pm »
I think the thought process is that 8K will be of such a high definition that it will give a 3D effect without the need of glasses.

One problem has always been that all 3-D systems are in fact simulations,. and can't work that well. And having to wear glasses tends to rule it out for most folk.  Full colour holography might be one way forward, allied to retina-def displays to afford an experience similar to reality.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2013, 08:24:03 pm »
Televisions are my Son's speciality so I will certainly get the latest on what's available (or will be) in that field.  :rage:
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2013, 09:24:45 pm »

I've had iPhones for a few years now & only found out a couple of days ago why some text messages are blue instead of green. It's a handy way of knowing which contacts have iPhones (as long as they have iMessage switched on)

I have just downloaded an update to my iphone, and yes.... suddenly some texts are green and some are blue.
But I still don't know why?  Please enlighten me.
By the way, texts to the same person are a mixture of green and blue?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2013, 05:09:34 am »
Ones in green are text messages, ones in blue are messages delivered though Apple's iMessage service - you'll note those ones will say 'delivered' underneath them when you send one, so you know when they have arrived at the other person's phone. iMessages will only be used when both people have an iPhone.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2013, 07:00:23 am »
you'll note those ones will say 'delivered' underneath them when you send one, so you know when they have arrived

And if you both have read receipts turned on in preferences, then you'll see not only when the other party has received it but when they have actually read it. Nifty.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2013, 10:51:54 am »
Apple Computers announced today that it has developed
a computer chip that can store and play high fidelity
music inside women's breast implants.

The iTit will cost between $499.00 and $699.00
depending on speaker size.

This is considered to be a major breakthrough because
women have always complained about men staring