Author Topic: E - Readers: Kindle, iPads and others  (Read 18207 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
E - Readers: Kindle, iPads and others
« on: June 25, 2012, 12:38:40 am »
I have been wanting to buy Mrs Fester a Kindle thingy for a while, as she is an avid reader...

My daughter works in a shop, and electrical bargains come her way from time to time, so she has been on the lookout...

Now, she tells me that a few items called ''kobo ereader touch'' are available, but she is unsure whether they will fit the bill.
They don't seem to have any free books with them.

Has any Forum member had any experience of one of these?  Is it worth purchasing?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 10:51:57 am by Ian »
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
Re: Whats this then?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 01:27:32 am »
I've not got one personally but it seems to get a good press as a credible alternative to the Kindle. Unlike the earlier models it doesn't come pre-loaded with 100 free books but these and many more are all available from the Kobostore which claims to stock over a million free titles in it's millions of eBooks that are available to download via Wi-Fi.
As it reads PDF you can also obtain titles from other sources, handy if you're into Torrenting etc...
If the deal is good enough it seems like it could be worth purchasing if you want a bit more flexibility than the Kindle.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 07:16:58 am »
I thought of getting a Kindle or another reader but in the end I am using my Samsung Android phone.  Very light, very portable and the only drawback, if one can call it such, is less words per page.  I don't find this any problem.  I'm only signed up to Kindle at present but there are other apps available to use other e-book suppliers. 
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 08:31:35 am »
I was given a Kindle by my OH at Christmas. The idea is fine and Yes there are free books to be had via, in my case, Amazon of which I have had quite a number. Alot of the free titles are quite obscure, so I sent for a CD containing umpteen thousand free books of which I have used some.
To me, if you are like my OH and read certain authors as soon as their books are available in paperback, the books themselves are cheaper in the supermarkets.
I think alot depends on what you like to read.
You can scroll through Amazon for Kindle's book list and see what is on offer, but if you can get these for a Kobo I wouldn't know-- is there a question and answer part in the web site for the Kobo? If they are compatible it could be worth investigating.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 09:15:47 am »
Review here:
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/gadgets/portable-video/portable-media-players-recorders/kobo-ereader-touch-1037152/review

I tend to read books on the ipad or iphone. Reading books on the iphone's small screen is surprisingly easy.  ;)

Offline Bri Roberts

Re: E - Readers: Kindle, iPads and others
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 11:21:40 am »
My missus researched the Kobo and the Kindle at the beginning of this year and she eventually purchased the Kindle I suspect mainly because of its reputation.

As the price of a Kobo has recently dropped, if Val had to make the same decision today I feel the outcome could be completely different.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 11:56:43 pm »
Thanks to all....

I must have been very drunk when I asked that question, (after the England footy match) because I do not remember asking the question at all..... and I was getting prepared to ask it tonight!!  Z**

Job done!
Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 09:14:47 am »
I must have been very drunk when I asked that question
That might explain why it made more sense than most of your postings...  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 09:20:28 pm »
I can't comment on other types of ebook readers but I've fairly recently invested in a kindle and it's brilliant for travelling.  I used to set off on a train journey with a fat paperback and then decide that it wouldn't be enough to see me home as well.  That usually meant a visit to a station bookstore, where they often have "buy one get one half price" offers - and it would be wasteful to buy just one book, wouldn't it?  Now I can just load up the kindle instead of arriving for an overnight stay looking as if I've got enough luggage for a month. 

There are some quite good deals on classic authors on kindle.  I had been planning to use the kindle just for travelling but it's a bit too convenient to get another book as soon as one is finished ...

I've also got a few books on my android phone (another new toy and one which I'm still getting to grips with).  The books are OK to read on the phone but the battery life of the kindle is so much better - an important consideration for me when travelling, as otherwise I'd have to carry a back up paperback! 

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 11:03:48 pm »
It's been a while since this subject was explored.
During which time many new e-readers have come onto the market. (Nook, Kindle Fire etc)

Now, unless someone tells me otherwise, I think I will invest in a Kindle, as there seems to be some good deals on Amazon in the run up to Xmas.
It will be a prezzie for Mrs Fester as she is an avid reader, and I am sick of the amount of old books filling up the house.
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 07:09:35 am »
It seems that it all depends on her eventual use for the device, Fester. If she's happy simply reading, then the Kindle will be fine. There are, it seems, two reasons for buying the iPad however: first is the quarter of a million apps available for the thing - far more than any other platform, and secondly the sheer quality of the display and the build. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 08:28:36 am »
Old books?? Pass them down to the Hope House shop in Lloyd Street-- we are very short !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 11:03:21 am »
Whatever the device, I'm told you can download thousands of books free if you know where to look.  :twoface:

Have to admit, I do miss the feel and smell of a new book, though.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 02:42:59 pm »
Old books?? Pass them down to the Hope House shop in Lloyd Street-- we are very short !

Will do Nem.
You will need to build an extension for the load that will be coming your way.
Fester...

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 03:52:46 pm »
There is also St. David's Hospice who would appreciate any donations of old books.   $thanx$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero