Author Topic: Llandudno Pier & Pavilion - Old Photos & Memories  (Read 156048 times)

Offline mull

• Management board member
Re: Llandudno Pier - Old Photos & Memories
« Reply #135 on: February 27, 2014, 09:13:40 am »
Probably taken about 1700 hours.
St Tudno arriving from Menai Bridge on return to Liverpool.
St Seiriol at anchor having arrived about 1630hours on an afternoon excursion from Liverpool. Will return to Liverpool at 1830 hours arriving back at 2100 hours.
Happy memories of 1950/60s , just time for high tea in Paynes Cafe with music from a string trio on stage. Must be getting old.

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2014, 04:19:18 pm »
I remember a great (well to a youngster) Ghost Train that went under the Pier Pavilion in the early 1970s. Sadly a few years later it had closed down and was replaced by some radio-controlled boats where you used to get on/off the ghost train cars.

On the subject of the Pier Pavilion I take it if the current 'hole' was cleared it would go down some considerable distance?

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2014, 07:36:49 pm »

On the subject of the Pier Pavilion I take it if the current 'hole' was cleared it would go down some considerable distance?

The old Bathhouse swimming pool is somewhere there at the bottom OM. If you go down any further it might just fill up with salt water once again.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2014, 08:48:37 pm »
  Going back I suppose around 75 years (thats a long time) I remember being taken by my Mum and Dad onto the pier and after a short distance there were either steps or a slope downwards on the left and underneath a building. I assume that must have been the Pavilion. I remember looking down the slope and seeing a dark interior lit up by flashing lights and a loud noise. I guess they were arcade machines of some sort with music.
  I also remember my Dad saying to my Mum "I guess that is what hell must look like.".

Offline Hugo

« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2014, 10:15:10 pm »
That sounds more like the Tuscon Amusement Arcade that ran down a slope and maybe a few steps and was underneath the Pavillion.    I spent many happy hours there as a teenager.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: April 22, 2014, 09:37:31 am »
I've been down into the Pavilion site a few times. There's about 4-5 foot of debris, that's all. You can see the tiling for the old swimming pool in certain parts of the site, think I stuck photos of them on here at some point in the past.

EDIT: Here's my post with the photos on:
http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,61.msg36882.html#msg36882

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2014, 08:51:01 pm »
A few more photos from 2011 of the depths of the Pavilion site:

Offline Genie

« Reply #142 on: June 20, 2014, 11:26:35 pm »
Hi everyone. I have just joined and to be honest have never been on a forum before, so expect mistakes!
I spent many a happy day in Llandudno on holiday as a child and it is truly a lovely place, full of memories.
The reason I am here is to see if anyone has any photos or memories of the Tuson/Tuscon amusement arcade.
 My Nan used to run/manage it along with her Husband. Studying the family history she might have been called Barbara Morgan or Sutton. Her Husband was called Nick Sutton.
 I only have a vague memory of the place and recall the dodgems at the top end, a change kiosk which I think was on the right hand side and possibly a rifle range.
 Nan was also "Famous" for feeding stray cats in Happy Valley.

Can anybody help?
Gene Genie

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: June 24, 2014, 11:06:28 am »
Interesting video showing Winston Churchill speaking at the Pavilion in 1948. Lots of shots of the pier, pavilion etc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCvhx-efRzw

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #144 on: July 08, 2014, 07:37:21 pm »
Hi everybody,   just joined, have been reading all the sections ,very interesting,  I did'nt know where to start , but after reading the above subject I remembered something from my past, so I thought I would ask the question does anybody remember a film made in Llandudno in 1951?.      I recalled my mum and dad telling me that I was in a film, with them walking on the prom.     The film was The Card with Alec guinness, I reviewed this film, no luck, I think we were extra extras, however I did find some old photos taken on the beach and the pier,  which I'll post , hoping I'm not repeating a subject.   Great site,looking forward to your comments.      SteveH.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #145 on: July 08, 2014, 08:08:56 pm »
Welcome, SteveH.

I think it may have been 1952 but I suppose you know that is Petula Clark in your photograph.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #146 on: July 08, 2014, 10:13:08 pm »
Hi. Bri.     Thanks for the welcome,      yes I knew it was P.C. ,  the other lady is Glynis Johns , in case there is any confusion over the poster, the film was called The Card  in the U.K. and The Promoter in the U.S.    Regards  SteveH.

Offline hollins

« Reply #147 on: July 09, 2014, 08:24:38 am »
Hope you enjoy this forum SteveH. I wish more new people would post things. It would keep it fresh rather than just the few regulars posting.
I didn't know anything about that film so found it interesting and loved the photos.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #148 on: July 09, 2014, 10:11:15 am »
Hi Hollins, Thanks for the welcome, and your comments, glad you found them interesting,    Regards SteveH.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #149 on: July 09, 2014, 11:03:44 am »
Hello All,     Regarding the subject old films, made in Llandudno I noticed that a few others had also been made here, as I am not sure about downloading material, anyone interested, can google search "Films shot in Llandudno" I found it informative.                 Regards  SteveH.