Author Topic: Llandudno Pier & Pavilion - Old Photos & Memories  (Read 155046 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno Pier - Old Photos & Memories
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2012, 04:48:11 pm »
does it have smelly stuff inside by any chance?
Yes, the owner can be a bit peevish at times but he is usually very pleasant.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2012, 05:20:37 pm »
he,s a very nice man a very nice man indeed

Offline dwsi

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2012, 06:08:39 pm »
does the owner star in dodgy videos filmed by a local photographer? 'gone with the wind' is the most recent one i can think of  _))*

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2012, 06:19:39 pm »
 L0L L0L

The Sandman  ;D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2012, 09:35:51 pm »
Peevish eh?  Is that your 'word of the week' Dave?   (what's wrong with generically? ha ha  ;) ;))

Looking at the kiosk as it was in 2006, it appears to be in much better external condition than it is now.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2012, 09:39:37 pm »
I believe its been in a half painted state for well over a year, along with various other bits of the pier that are half finished. Odd way to treat a Listed structure!

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2012, 09:57:48 am »
Had to hunt out our marriage certificate for some forms today (was written on tablets of stone ! ;D) and came across this pic of my paternal grandparents on Llandudno pier. Aside from the fact that Granny looks to have the most dreadful hat on I could imagine that this was in the 1950s. They used to come down from Liverpool on the St Tudno, after a train journey from Yorkshire. I still have Grandpa's walking stick, too short to use, but a nice memory!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2012, 01:23:19 pm »
I believe its been in a half painted state for well over a year, along with various other bits of the pier that are half finished. Odd way to treat a Listed structure!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2012, 01:28:40 pm »
looks like some of the better parts  :twoface:

The condition is shocking, is there any legal way of enforcing maintenance ?

Offline martin

« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2012, 01:37:29 pm »
It is a worry, I was on it last week, and being on crutches, you tend to take notice of the ground, on a constant look out for holes, kerbs, and every ones favourite, Richard the Thirds.  Anyway, during my walk I was shocked at how many rotten floor boards are, I thought at the time, the owners will have difficulty finding the money to repair/replace those.  :(

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2012, 01:42:39 pm »
Now it is relatively quiet on the pier, I would have thought it would be the ideal time to carry out the repairs and painting jobs.

It is surprising how often the repairs and painting jobs are carried out on the pier in the summer when it is busy.

It makes no sense to me.

I know one the former full-time painters employed by the Pier Company but he got laid off a while back now.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2012, 01:43:04 pm »
How long before we are discussing the pier in the eyesores section? A very sad state of affairs!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2012, 03:22:07 pm »
When I worked on the Pier, there was a full time Deck Crew (about 4 men) employed to carry out routine maintenance like painting, deck board repairs etc. Now, there is a Maintenance Manager and no staff. Cutting back on routine maintenance may seem like a good cost saving move but it means that small problems turn into large problems relatively quickly. Without regular painting, the wooden areas soon start to let in water and the process of rotting begins.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2012, 03:45:03 pm »
I totally agree.

I cannot understand why no maintenance is currently being carried out in the areas where there are kiddies’ attractions during the summer season which have now been put away for the winter.

I would have thought now is probably the only time any maintenance work can be carried out in those areas.

I am also surprised you say there is only one manager left as I often see one male manager and one female manager.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2012, 05:00:44 pm »
dave don,t know when you were on the crew but their were about 8 of us and the hard work was in the winter, i  walk down there now and if they are not carefull it will cost too much ,[look at colwyn bay pier]