The Local > Times Past

Llandudno Pier & Pavilion - Old Photos & Memories

<< < (2/53) > >>

Fester:
No.... but a very nice lady came into my kiosk recently,  saying she was the daughter of the very man who MADE that silhouette,  and she wanted to come into the kiosk that he used to own ... for sentimental reasons.

Merddin Emrys:
I'll bring my silhouette back into that kiosk sometime, its not been in Llandudno since 1966 until today!  D)  (can't remember when your opening hours are now!  :) )

Nemesis:
Yes I've got one--- I'll dig it out!

DaveR:
I always recall the name Richardson as doing the Silhouettes?

"In 1960 William Richardson left his native Potteries for Llandudno when he was 37 and became a star tourist attraction in his adopted town.

The former student of Burslem School of Art made his name doing quick-sketch portraits of visitors in his tiny studio on the pier, completing a charcoal drawing in 15 minutes.

When I met him nearly 20 years ago, William told me he'd drawn around 30,000 people and couldn't remember one dissatisfied customer in more than 30 years.

His sitters included two Prime Ministers, Harold Wilson and Margaret Thatcher. Both were in Llandudno in the days when party conferences were held at the resort.

William recalled another visitor who told him she'd been recommended to go to him by her neighbour – in Peru!"

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/news/Resort-cut/article-1116827-detail/article.html

Merddin Emrys:
Looks like there were several different artists!

Captain Oakley is a well known artist/silhouettist who started work before World War I, and continued for many years afterwards. He travelled all over the British Isles, making regular appearances in Edinburgh and on Llandudno Pier. He cut both bust-length and full length silhouettes, and his work is always easy to recognise, being either signed or stamped on the front.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/honda.burns/parlour/p40_c20.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version