Author Topic: Llandudno Pier & Pavilion - Old Photos & Memories  (Read 152692 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: Llandudno pier - payment onto it
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 11:59:35 am »
 :)

Offline Trojan

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2011, 12:13:44 pm »
Alica Cimatti and Olive used to "man" the kiosk further down the pier so that people coming on from happy Valley Road had too.  They were certainly still there when I worked on the pier which was late 70's.

The building next to the Happy Valley Road pier gates was once a shop run by the Cimatti family.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2011, 12:39:19 pm »
somewhere I have a picture of me on the boats, no idea where it is though :laugh:

Is that you in the pic?

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2011, 04:12:59 pm »
some of  the rowing boats, in the ariel photo, were owned by Tony 'Stargazer ' and he named them after celestial objects. Venus, Mars, Aries, etc. He was known as 'Stargazer' because of his interest in astronomy.
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2011, 11:13:36 pm »
I like rowing boats... and canoes, I always did,

There should be a boating lake in Llandudno, somewhere.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2011, 12:48:00 am »
some of  the rowing boats, in the ariel photo, were owned by Tony 'Stargazer ' and he named them after celestial objects. Venus, Mars, Aries, etc. He was known as 'Stargazer' because of his interest in astronomy.

Didn't Ted-yr-Ogof own some too Quiggs?

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2011, 10:45:10 am »
Alica and Olive were in a kiosk with a gate further down the pier probably nearer to Fester not the fishing shop on Happy Valley Road.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2011, 03:42:50 pm »
Yes Trojan, Ted Yr Ogof had rowing boats as well, during the summer holidays we helped to take and fetch the boats from their moorings to the jetties for the tourists to hire. If bad weather was forecast we helped to drag the boats up onto the promanade
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2011, 05:00:54 pm »
There should be a boating lake in Llandudno, somewhere.

Don't left the 'elf an' safety boys hear you say that!   Boats, and water - together?  They could write a whole 'elf 'n safety book on that subject!    WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2011, 08:26:42 pm »
I knew I had one of those photos somewhere! This was August 1959

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2011, 09:11:37 pm »
Alica and Olive were in a kiosk with a gate further down the pier probably nearer to Fester not the fishing shop on Happy Valley Road.
It was just past the first set of kiosks heading down the pier, there was a small plastic kiosk like you'd have in a car park and a barrier across the pier.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2011, 06:50:57 am »

Maybe so, but the Cimatti family did run a business from the fishing shop on Happy Valley Road. Sometime in the 1930's I believe Llech.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2011, 07:07:26 am »
Yes Trojan, Ted Yr Ogof had rowing boats as well, during the summer holidays we helped to take and fetch the boats from their moorings to the jetties for the tourists to hire. If bad weather was forecast we helped to drag the boats up onto the promanade

That's a coincidence, my Dad used to do the same.  :)

When he was courting my Mother, Ted borrowed him a rowing boat so he could take her for a 'trip around the bay'. Of course, he wanted to impress my Mother, so decided to row out beyond the pier head toward Pidgeons.
Suddeny they were both startled by a loud deep horn as the IOM steamer Manxman came into view around Pen Trwyn.

My Mother said my Dad's face was a picture as he attempted to turn the rowing boat around, then rowed back into the bay as if he was in the Cambridge/Oxford boat race.  :laugh:

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2011, 03:10:47 pm »
Re dodgem boats on the pier. My old man, as one of his myriad jobs, used to manage these at one time - they were part of Tucsons amusements which were mainly underneath the pier head (he also worked down there and he used to let me have a free go on those clowns heads that turned back and forth where you put a ping pong ball in their mouths and got a prize if it landed in the right channel where the ball came out of the back of the clowns' necks. I think he worked it so I never got a prize.

I've got a photo of him and Jock Leslie arm in arm on the pier in the snow in the 1947 winter. I'll dig it out and post it here when I've got more time.

Ted didn't have anything to do with the boats on the pier - his ran from the beach.

Father also had a lot to do with Bob Kerr and the Osborne Hotel and garage (around the back opposite the first cop shop), especially driving taxis and I don't know if there was any connection with Tucsons there.
Micox

Offline Trojan

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2011, 04:37:30 am »
Another pic of the dodgem boats, or bumper boats as they're sometimes called.