Author Topic: Llandudno Pier & Pavilion - Old Photos & Memories  (Read 152649 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Llandudno Pier & Pavilion - Old Photos & Memories
« Reply #210 on: August 16, 2018, 09:47:40 pm »
Look at the beautiful clothing and buildings in this unspoilt era...
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Llandudno.......... Pier & Pavilion - Old Photos & Memories
« Reply #211 on: June 03, 2019, 09:39:05 am »
These pictures of Llandudno in all its glory are bound to make you feel nostalgic
Step back in time with these vintage photos of the North Wales seaside town.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/gallery/pictures-llandudno-glory-bound-make-16358135

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #212 on: June 03, 2019, 12:43:21 pm »
On the photo of the earliest land train it says this:

"Plans for land trains in Llandudno, like this one pictured in February 1991, ran out of steam, but in later years a similar venture seems to be more successful"

Actually, it was the Police who refused it permission to go along Gloddaeth Avenue, thus dooming the project from the outset. Strangely, they changed their mind with the subsequent application.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #213 on: June 03, 2019, 01:23:03 pm »
At the moment I am thinking of dooming the project, for years the land train rang a bell to get attention, slightly annoying, but you get used to it, now I believe they are using the horn of the vehicle, numerous times throughout the day   $angry$   bring back the bell $good$

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #214 on: June 04, 2019, 11:59:53 am »
At the moment I am thinking of dooming the project, for years the land train rang a bell to get attention, slightly annoying, but you get used to it, now I believe they are using the horn of the vehicle, numerous times throughout the day   $angry$   bring back the bell $good$

It is only the driver of the Blue train that insists on tooting his horn at every opportunity, so I walked over and had a quiet word and things have now got a lot better.  clappinghappy
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #215 on: June 04, 2019, 02:28:54 pm »
It is only the driver of the Blue train that insists on tooting his horn at every opportunity, so I walked over and had a quiet word and things have now got a lot better.  clappinghappy

Many thanks B.,   &well&    A quiet word was probably best, it was beginning to get very annoying, I have been indoors today with the rain, and have not heard anything,      so fingers crossed.

Offline SteveH

Re: Llandudno and Pier & Pavilion - Summer 2016
« Reply #216 on: August 16, 2019, 01:34:32 pm »
Not times past .... Yet          A pleasant collection of photos in slide show form, of the Llandudno area over the summer of 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PqXFiq1fKo

Offline SteveH

« Reply #217 on: October 02, 2019, 01:31:51 pm »
Have received an offer this morning in the post, a local firm I think ? which I thought worth sharing .............

"Old Postcards of Llandudno Calendar.
About the Old Postcards of Llandudno Calendars
What size are they? The calendars are A4 in size, with 13 leaves (one per month plus a cover). They are wire-bound at the top with a hanging loop and are supplied in a protective cellophane sleeve.

Are they bilingual? Yes. Months, days of the week and public holidays are in English and Welsh.

Can I buy the calendars in shops? No, these calendars are only available through this website or by ordering via telephone (01492 818618) or via email.

When will my calendar(s) be delivered? Orders will be sent out the week beginning 21 October 2019. If you live within the LL30 postcode, we will be in touch before that date to offer you a delivery day. Otherwise, Royal Mail's estimated delivery times are 1-2 working days for UK, 3-5 working days for Europe and 6-7 working days for the rest of the world.

I have some other questions... Please feel free to get in touch via email or leave a message on our enquiry line, 01492 818618, and we will be in touch as quickly as possible.  "                  http://www.opolc.co.uk/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #218 on: December 07, 2019, 10:07:31 am »
An eagle eyed fan noticed this 1853 picture in a recent episode of Coronation St.     https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/coronation-streets-secret-nod-llandudno-17377994

1853 print of Llandudno which appeared in Monday Nights Coronation Street

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #219 on: December 07, 2019, 02:21:59 pm »
1853?

This was a Llandudno in 1852.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #220 on: December 07, 2019, 03:02:08 pm »
Quite a difference, Bri.I had another look at the artist, and found that the picture is already in the Forum's gallery, with a date of 1860,
(which can be enlarged for closer detail.)   The lady who spotted the picture, is also questioning the date.
Posted by     DaveR   September 28, 2004, 03:16:22 PM  http://www.threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=653
Width × Height   900 × 664
Filesize   245 KB
Filename   Llandudno Promenade in 1860 Colour.jpg

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #221 on: December 07, 2019, 05:28:56 pm »
Thank you, SteveH.

The Baths Hotel over on the right did not open until 1855.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #222 on: December 08, 2019, 10:11:29 am »
Bri, looking for info. on Llandudno 1850's I found another Forum reference from 2011, about the 1851 census, which might bring back memories.
http://www.threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1290.0.html

Offline Rolli

« Reply #223 on: July 12, 2020, 11:42:47 am »
Clive Massey and the person posting last as Qilliam Richardson's Nephew.... I Hope this message connects with you both. My late Mother was his Cousin. I met him a great deal in the 70's whilst working in Llandudno and only knew of his relationship to my family then. Maybe an opportunity to chat via e mail.

Offline Ianc2003

« Reply #224 on: October 31, 2020, 12:36:53 pm »
I am posting as a new user in the hope that someone will recognise any of the people in this picture, taken on the pier with presumably the rest of the pier staff at that time. the gentleman in the front row second from right is possibly my wife’s grandfather John Owen who was the second mate of the pier. Or assistant pier master. He could be approx 40 in the picture meaning the picture was 1910-1920. Does anyone know who any of the other people could be or the date of the picture