Author Topic: National politics  (Read 313392 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: National politics
« Reply #1065 on: December 17, 2019, 03:08:51 pm »
 :laugh:

Well, for some, I suppose that might be the case.  But you might know I've long been a campaigner for some form of PR to be introduced. The UK Parliament foisted it on the devolved assemblies, who had no choice in the matter, so it seems at leat reasonable t hat they now consider it for themselves.

I would not have wanted Labour to win this time around, either; not given the calibre of their leader. And Labour doesn't want PR any more than the Tories. But I believe the electorate in the UK deserves PR, otherwise we'll continue to get the absurd situation where the government always has fewer votes than the opposition. And that's not democracy - by any stretch of the imagination.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1066 on: March 20, 2020, 10:38:20 am »
AN unprecedented amount of money has been deployed to support Welsh businesses during the coronavirus pandemic.

Today, Minister for Economy, Ken Skates said the Welsh Government has £1.4 billion of support, adding the government had “never ever deployed such a figure to support Welsh businesses”.

Warning, that many businesses were hours not day away from collapse, Mr Skates also praised Welsh businesses for, in the most part, acting with compassion during these difficult times.

He said: “If you had a good business in 2019, you will have a good business in 2021.”
“Here in 2020 we have a battle in which we must all fight together.”

He also said that he believed, as Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said, that the tide against the virus could be turned in 12 weeks if everyone works together and takes advice about health and social distancing.

He asked people to act with compassion, not to hoard or panic buy, and to support shop workers and lorry drivers who are vital in getting food, of which there is enough for everyone, on to the shop shelves.

He urged businesses to be sympathetic to the metal health of employees and for everyone to be vigilant against scammers using the crisis to their advantage.   ref Pioneer

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1067 on: March 26, 2020, 09:41:47 am »
The UK Government has dropped plans that would have slashed the number of Welsh MPs by more than a quarter.

Unveiled in 2016, the proposals included cutting Wales’ representation in Westminster from 40 to 29 to allow a smaller House of Commons of 600 rather than 650 members.

But facing several hurdles – including some resistance from its own MP’s – the Government has now announced that it will not proceed with the plans, citing the extra workload that MPs now face due to Brexit.

If implemented, the plans would have seen the political map of North Wales change dramatically. The region currently returns 11 MPs to London.

But proposing to reduce this to 7, they included:

Anglesey and Arfon largely merging into a single seat.

A new constituency of North Clwyd and Gwynedd stretching from Tywyn in the southwest up to St Asaph in the northeast

South Clwyd and North Montgomeryshire running from Ruthin all the way down to Machynlleth

Proposed seat of Colwyn and Conwy taking in the resorts of Abergele, Colwyn Bay, Conwy, Llandudno, Penrhyn Bay and Rhos on Sea
https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/18335913.plans-abandoned-reduce-regions-mps-11-7/?ref=rss

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1068 on: April 07, 2020, 06:45:33 pm »
There are more important things happening at the moment but it was good to see the new Labour leader Keir Starmer giving his support to the Government at this important time in our history
Amusingly Jeremy Corbyn, delusional to the end claimed " that he was leaving the party in a position to win the 2024 general election"

But a more realistic Mr Starmer said "We've just lost four elections in a row.... we need to change"

Let's get this Coronavirus sorted out as a united front and then see what happens afterwards because when all the dust has settled we know that we needed more NHS staff and Police officers than the number we were left with after 10 years of austerity

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1069 on: April 08, 2020, 10:45:46 am »
I was pleased Starmer got it. Labour seems to go through these cycles, electing someone whom the supporters love but who doesn't have a clue and who then leads them defeats after defeat, before finally common sense takes hold and they elect someone who knows what they're doing.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1070 on: April 08, 2020, 12:27:59 pm »
To be fair Ian, many Tories voted for Corbyn to be the leader of the Labour Party knowing full well that having him as leader of the opposition would mean that they would stay in power while he remained there

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1071 on: April 08, 2020, 02:03:24 pm »
Some did, certainly Hugo, but just how many is open to question and whether it was anywhere near enough to swing the result is also debatable. I believe Momentum managed to recruit a lot of disenfranchised Militant supporters, who joined purely to put Corbyn in power.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1072 on: April 08, 2020, 11:38:55 pm »
Some did, certainly Hugo, but just how many is open to question and whether it was anywhere near enough to swing the result is also debatable. I believe Momentum managed to recruit a lot of disenfranchised Militant supporters, who joined purely to put Corbyn in power.

And I think,like Hugo,a huge number of Tories were able to join the Labour Party during their leadership election period and then voted for Corbyn, because he had the longest odds with the bookies. Stupid Membership rules equates to stupid results. Now at least the Islington cabal's days are done and hopefully we can get back to some sensible, nay, credible opposition.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1073 on: April 10, 2020, 05:35:05 pm »
The Government quite rightly are asking people to work from home if that is at all possible but I didn't realise until I read the Daily Mirror today that MP's can claim an extra £10,000.00 for working from home.
We are all in it together seems to be the anthem of the Government but they are only words so how many MP's will claim this knowing that the other people who work from home will not have that extra £10K to fall back on?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1074 on: May 06, 2020, 10:45:29 am »
The Welsh Assembly becomes the Welsh Parliament: Everything you need to know.

FROM today, the National Assembly for Wales is known as the Welsh Parliament, or Senedd Cymru.

The name change is to reflect the Senedd’s “constitutional status” as a national parliament, equipped with “full law-making powers”.

Why now?

The decision to change the name was passed in the Senedd and Elections (Wales) Act, becoming law in January 2020.

The date of May 6, 2020 is written into the Act and was chosen to mark one year before the 2021 Senedd Elections.

more  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18429534.welsh-assembly-becomes-welsh-parliament-everything-need-know/

Offline Hugo

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1076 on: September 19, 2020, 10:33:53 am »
Raab's bodyguard would be as much use as a chocolate tea pot after this lapse of memory

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/police-protection-officer-travelling-dominic-18961456

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1077 on: October 04, 2020, 03:54:27 pm »
It's an insult to Wales and another Tory gaff

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-54407676

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1078 on: October 16, 2020, 12:47:55 pm »
Honesty and integrity are words that have been banded about too often this year and somehow seem to have lost their meaning.
Take for instance Dominic Cummings who traveled to the family home in Durham during lockdown although he did it with "integrity"
That family farm has been subject to a probe by the Valuation Agency Office Durham County as the family are liable to pay Council Tax on all the properties there but it will not be backdated.
This means that years of unpaid taxes on two homes will be written off.     Instead new charges for the properties will start this month

When the Valuation Office investigates fraud like this they normally backdate the money lost and add penalties and interest to the sum but for some inexplicable reason they haven't done it in the Cummings case.
Integrity and honesty don't feature in this Tory's vocabulary.        One rule for them and another for everyone else   

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1079 on: October 16, 2020, 01:25:38 pm »
Agreed, I have probably lost interest now, but I cannot think of one politician I would have confidence in.