Author Topic: National politics  (Read 313345 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: National politics
« Reply #990 on: June 14, 2019, 09:30:34 am »
The government is planning to increase VAT on renewable energy installations to 20%. Coal etc will still get 5%.

So much for the 'climate emergency'.

Sign the petition here: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/260903
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #991 on: June 14, 2019, 09:43:18 am »
Nothing like a bit of encouragement,.............. and that's it "nothing."

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #992 on: June 15, 2019, 02:27:53 pm »
Does any Forum member have any property overseas that I could rent for the rest of my life?

Because if that idiotic, dangerous buffoon Boris Johnson becomes Prime Minister, I’m seriously out of here!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #993 on: June 15, 2019, 05:38:19 pm »
Why are the contenders for leadership of the Blue party being paraded in front of the whole nation on tv when the only people with a vote are Tory party members ?
It is not as if they have an overall majority .
Do the Democratic Unionists still have any say in all this or are they going to be ignored ?

Getting beyond a joke now!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #994 on: July 07, 2019, 04:39:29 pm »
Boris Johnson's backers seem to have done a good job by giving him a low profile. possibly to ensure that he doesn't put his foot in it and make more gaffs      He's done his best to avoid a head to head with Jeremy Hunt, but now there will be one on Tuesday night on ITV at 8.00 pm but what's the point as all the votes will already be in!

One interesting thing I read in the paper on Friday was about Boris' time in office as Lord Mayor of London.      In housing development nowadays developers are expected to include an element of "affordable housing"       The billionaire Reuben  brothers were proposing to build 207 luxury flats and a 150 room boutique hotel at Millbank Tower  London.

Planners had suggested a £57 million "financial contribution in mitigation is an appropriate alternative"  to affordable homes at the site.
Westminster Council accepted the " maximum reasonable amount of affordable housing in this instance is zero"  and did not request any compensation.

How on earth do they get away with this type of thing.     We are all in this together was a famous Tory quote, somehow I don't think so.    &shake&

This week Boris revealed that he has accepted £50K  in donations from  James Reuben!         The latest filings of MP'S register of interests reveal Boris has been given £235,500.00  by wealthy donors from June 18th to July 1st

Offline mull

« Reply #995 on: July 07, 2019, 06:54:59 pm »
I find it annoying that people keep referring to him as Boris.
There is a reason for this it sounds nicer than adding a surname as all the other contenders had been addressed.

God help us we really are now a 3rd world country and I can only see it getting worse.
I did not vote for Scottish Independence last time round but next time  ??? . Got to get away from this Brexit mess.

Offline Helig

« Reply #996 on: July 08, 2019, 09:25:41 am »
I have noticed that Boris's private life isn't being covered in the press that much, except for the latest incident over the row at his girl friend's home. I am sure the security services are trying to undermine him as there is no doubt he presents a security risk. The reports suggest that he has fathered numerous illegitimate children and cannot keep his pants up.

Boris was a member of the notorious Bullingdon Club when he was at Oxford. They appear to have been some sort of Hooray Henry yobbos.

What worries me is the fact he is so pally with Trump. They have a sort of of love in together and they both seem to think highly of one another. That rings alarm bells as could it mean that Boris will do as Trump wants and not question him? In view of the fact Trump is so unreliable, plus he seems keen to provoke nuclear war, does it mean vote Boris, get Trump?

Helig

Offline Hugo

« Reply #997 on: July 08, 2019, 11:39:52 am »
Another allegation was that the British Intelligence Service withheld certain information from Boris when he was the Foreign Secretary as he simply couldn't be trusted not to blurt out the information when he went on one of his rants

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #998 on: July 23, 2019, 09:38:56 pm »
I’m thinking that Boris Johnson is destined to become one of the shortest term Prime Ministers in British history.
I foresee him getting nowhere renegotiating any type of Brexit deal, not before the deadline at least.
I then predict a vote of no confidence, as parliament block his no deal version of Brexit.
An early general election, followed by him, and most other leading current politicians consigned to the dustbin of history.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #999 on: July 24, 2019, 08:40:30 am »
We can but hope...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DVT

« Reply #1000 on: July 24, 2019, 08:52:25 am »
What SHOULD happen is for every MP to get behind Boris and MAKE IT WORK.

That didn't happen for Theresa May, and she was (arguably) more popular

The electorate were given the choice - the vote was to come out.

I have to admit that I thought that coming out simply meant stop paying the "subs" and use the money for our own things (such as NHS) and to be self-governing and free to negotiate deals around the world.  If I want to stop being a member of a club then all I have to do is cancel my direct debit for the subscription.  If only things had been that simple!

I forsee the next election resulting in a three-way split, so who knows what will happen to us then .

I also think the media (press and social) do absolutely nothing to help the situation - concentrating more on little oddities in the lives of the people at the top, instead of concentrating on the important issues and policies that affect us all.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1001 on: July 24, 2019, 09:26:30 am »
Another referendum has to be held. That's really the only answer. So many lies were told by the Brexit campaigners during the first one, and the time elapsed means around 2.2m more people are now eligible to vote all make leaving now an immoral decision. If there's a massive majority in favour of leaving, then the argument is won.  But I continue to wonder why the Brexiters are running so scared of another referendum.

Meanwhile, if we had a half-decent opposition, then they could force an general election.  However, now both Labour and Tory parties are run by people who make Donald Trump look intelligent.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: National politics............... WALES
« Reply #1002 on: July 26, 2019, 01:27:48 pm »
Wales' free bus pass age to rise from 60 to state pension age

The age people become eligible for free bus passes in Wales is to rise from 60 to the state pension age, under Welsh Government plans.

Ministers are concerned about the rising cost of the pass, with 880,000 people expected to be eligible by 2021.
Transport Minister Ken Skates confirmed the move, to be introduced gradually, will be included in a proposed new law.

The Older People's Commissioner said she was concerned about the potential impact on the most vulnerable.
Details of when the changes will be introduced remain sketchy. The pass, introduced in 2002, entitles users to free bus travel.

The state pension age for men and women is 65, but will rise to 67 by 2028.

Cont...........  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-49098325

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1003 on: August 02, 2019, 08:48:32 am »
The Brecon and Radnorshire election was revealing in several ways.  B & R has long been a LibDem seat, and was occupied by the Tories only relatively recently. The worrying factor for labour, however, is that they'd never polled with fewer than 5000 until this one, when it was a miserable 1680. 

Quite apart from the glaringly obvious observation that JC really, really needs to go - or at least develop some policies - the same bloke the electorate ousted for having committed a criminal offence with his expenses (described by the Tory party chairman as 'a mistake') still managed to get 12000+ votes.  Still, I suppose if we're happy to vote criminals into parliament they will at least fit in rather well.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1004 on: August 02, 2019, 03:08:34 pm »
Like thousands of others I received this e-mail regarding the free TV Licence for the over 75's

"Prime Minister Boris Johnson has got your message loud and clear after we handed in our petition at the door of 10 Downing Street yesterday.
A massive 634,334 of you signed the petition and we now await a response.
As Prime Minister, Boris Johnson has the power and authority to immediately make the decision to keep the free TV licence for all over 75's. We really hope we have done enough to make him listen to us.
We’ve made sure the government can’t ignore us by projecting our campaign message onto the front of Parliament and the Treasury too. 

I’ll let you know as soon as we hear anything, so please keep your eye on your inbox."

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next two years      $hands$