Author Topic: National politics  (Read 313351 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: National politics
« Reply #975 on: February 22, 2019, 03:48:11 pm »
Views, fine; that's not the issue. But your suggestion was somewhat more stringent than that. Running the country by continuous plebiscite is what you seemed to be suggesting, Dave, and I would hate to see where that would take us.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #976 on: February 26, 2019, 12:41:48 pm »
May to offer MP's no deal Brexit vote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47373996

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #977 on: March 01, 2019, 10:12:21 am »
Views, fine; that's not the issue. But your suggestion was somewhat more stringent than that. Running the country by continuous plebiscite is what you seemed to be suggesting, Dave, and I would hate to see where that would take us.
But why do you imagine your views have more validity than anyone else’s? In a democracy, we are all equal, surely?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #978 on: March 01, 2019, 11:04:57 am »
But why do you imagine your views have more validity than anyone else’s? In a democracy, we are all equal, surely?

I don't; and I don't think they are, any more than you do  :-)  I simply lack easy access to the information  needed on which to base decisions of national importance.  We may have a very low opinion of MPs (not always warranted) but they're the ones we pay to make the right decisions, based on the vast amounts of information  their staff and the civil service can access.  Or do you believe we don't need information on which to base these decisions?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #979 on: March 06, 2019, 12:33:50 pm »
I think politicians comprise - very roughly - two groups: Grabbers and Sharers. Our society's very complex, and no mater which party gains power not a lot changes in the wider scheme of things.  This could be changed if we were to adopt PR for the entire country.
How about we scrap Parliament and just have an online voting system for all citizens to use?

For exactly the same reason as if you needed your Gas boiler fixing you wouldn't send an online vote out to everyone in your town on how it should be done and then go ahead with the popular answer.

It would blow up

Much like the country will with Brexit.

The answer is always get an expert to do it. Like it or not Parliamentarians are our experts in politics.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #980 on: March 06, 2019, 04:45:35 pm »
I agree with BTR  leave it to the politicians like this one she's brilliant, vote Labour

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #981 on: March 06, 2019, 05:44:03 pm »
 Brilliant Hugo  ;D

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #982 on: March 08, 2019, 04:28:53 pm »
But is it original?  It was used on an American Democrat politician last year…

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #983 on: March 08, 2019, 08:31:03 pm »
 :)
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #984 on: March 12, 2019, 10:26:23 am »
I think politicians comprise - very roughly - two groups: Grabbers and Sharers. Our society's very complex, and no mater which party gains power not a lot changes in the wider scheme of things.  This could be changed if we were to adopt PR for the entire country.
How about we scrap Parliament and just have an online voting system for all citizens to use?

For exactly the same reason as if you needed your Gas boiler fixing you wouldn't send an online vote out to everyone in your town on how it should be done and then go ahead with the popular answer.

It would blow up

Much like the country will with Brexit.

The answer is always get an expert to do it. Like it or not Parliamentarians are our experts in politics.
If you honestly believe the majority of MPs are experts in anything other than submitting expense claims, then I am afraid you are deluded. By way of evidence, I refer you to the local MP. Does anyone ever see him in Llandudno?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #985 on: March 20, 2019, 09:39:10 pm »
Theresa May said this tonight, as she addressed the people of Britain.

The PM said it was "now time for MPs to decide" whether they wanted to leave with her deal, no deal or whether they chose not to leave at all - the latter she warned could cause "irreparable damage to public trust" in politicians

I disagree on her final point, that damage was done long, long ago.  It really can’t get any worse.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #986 on: March 21, 2019, 12:04:39 am »
They should never of taken those matches off Gye Fox

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #987 on: March 21, 2019, 12:34:41 am »
They should never of taken those matches off Gye Fox

I assume you mean Guy Fawkes?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #988 on: March 21, 2019, 08:56:24 am »
Theresa May said this tonight, as she addressed the people of Britain.

The PM said it was "now time for MPs to decide" whether they wanted to leave with her deal, no deal or whether they chose not to leave at all - the latter she warned could cause "irreparable damage to public trust" in politicians

I disagree on her final point, that damage was done long, long ago.  It really can’t get any worse.

$donald$

So true, so very, very true.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #989 on: March 21, 2019, 10:18:10 pm »
thats him Fester i forgot you came from yorkshire but my way of spelling it is a lot quicker