Author Topic: National politics  (Read 313486 times)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Re: National politics
« Reply #960 on: May 19, 2018, 11:24:29 am »
What I find so hurtful and galling is that this sordid conduct of supporting terrorists and antisemitism is endemic in the Labour Party, which was founded to fight all the social ills of this country.

Kier Hardy's work, MacDonald's energy, Attlee, Bevan, the list is endless, to Smith and David Miliband, their work to pave a better society is belittled by the conduct of McDonnell, Watson, Corbyn and the congenital idiot that is Abbott. I'm not suggesting that the deluded half-wits in the Conservative party are much better, mad May and Johnson, and don't get me started on miss-spelt Hunt.

But it's because I so strongly believe in the social principles of the founding of the Labour Party, and the the difference that it has made to the country over the past 125 years, that I am so saddened that today, the Labour Party is a self serving travesty of what it should actually be. 
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #961 on: May 19, 2018, 01:41:57 pm »
..and just at the very time we needed a strong and effective opposition.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #962 on: January 21, 2019, 11:45:39 am »
Sounds like a good idea

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #963 on: February 20, 2019, 10:04:48 am »
As the split in the Labour Party deepens, I am shocked to see the extent to which anti Jewish racism has permeated it. I am amazed as to why anyone would wish to be a member of such an organisation.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #964 on: February 20, 2019, 10:44:04 am »
Yes; before long they'll be as bad as the Tories :-) 

We're in a mess. Both the Tory party and the Labour party are tearing themselves apart, although the Tories are currently in the lead, I suspect, and winning on points.

I don't think Labour is anti Semitic in any real sense. I do however, believe JC has tacitly enabled the nastier elements on the party (and there are as many of those as there are in the Tories) to be more openly nasty than previously.  At this moment in time (which doesn't exist, but that's another story) I couldn't bring myself to vote for either of the two big parties. I can't remeber a time when the UK was in such a state of disarray.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Hugo

« Reply #965 on: February 20, 2019, 11:51:05 am »
I'm inclined to agree with you Ian,  and the two parties are in a right mess.    Jeremy Corbyn is not a leader, he's been a protester all his life and has voted against Labour policies more often than any Conservative has.    He's done more damage to the Labour Party than anything the Conservatives have ever done and if a General Election was to take place soon who in their right mind would vote for a party lead by Cobyn, McDonnell and Diane Abbott.
They have as much chance of getting into power as Screaming Lord Sutch and the Monster Raving Loony Party had all those years ago.
I saw David Milliband on TV this week and just wish that someone like him could return to politics and get Labour back on track

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #966 on: February 20, 2019, 02:39:49 pm »
It's going to be a complete trainwreck and will be fascinating to watch.
I think my quote (above) from a few years ago when Corbyn got elected as Labour Leader was remarkably accurate....

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #967 on: February 20, 2019, 04:08:27 pm »
Very worrying for those who have been life long Labour supporters, too.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #968 on: February 20, 2019, 07:23:11 pm »
Hugo I agree we were brought up to vote labour but as you say how could we vote for them when these idiots are in the way, as you say if David Milliband would have been the leader he'd have been stronger against this weak government.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #969 on: February 20, 2019, 10:33:24 pm »
We were brought up to vote Labour because the party was for the benefit of the majority unlike the Conservatives which only look after their own interests.
I remember your Dad telling me that when it came to voting time he always got the Conservative taxi to take him to the Polling booth.   It wasn't because he was voting for the Tories, but that way he would take up the seat of  someone who intended to vote Tory.
The Labour leaders we have now really hold Communist views but stand for Labour as they know that they wouldn't be elected to Parliament if the represented the Communist Party
Interestingly, the Communist Party for the first time ever didn't have any candidates at the last General Election and the reason they gave was that they share the same views that Corbyn was expressing

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #970 on: February 21, 2019, 10:11:31 am »
Anyone who seriously believes that any of the main political parties is interested in bettering the lives of ordinary working people is definitely deluded. 90% of Politicians are interested only in furthering their own careers and lining their own pockets at taxpayers expense. The Labour Party is there to fool people into a false hope of thinking the system can be changed. As Johnny Rotten once said, “Ever get the feeling you’ve been cheated?”.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #971 on: February 21, 2019, 10:43:36 am »
I think politicians comprise - very roughly - two groups: Grabbers and Sharers. Our society's very complex, and no mater which party gains power not a lot changes in the wider scheme of things.  This could be changed if we were to adopt PR for the entire country.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #972 on: February 21, 2019, 12:24:29 pm »
I think politicians comprise - very roughly - two groups: Grabbers and Sharers. Our society's very complex, and no mater which party gains power not a lot changes in the wider scheme of things.  This could be changed if we were to adopt PR for the entire country.
How about we scrap Parliament and just have an online voting system for all citizens to use?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #973 on: February 21, 2019, 03:17:35 pm »
Yesss...we tried that with the Referendum and look what happened :-)   

We elect politicians to take the decisions that we can't because we can't access all the relevant data easily and quickly.  If they make a pig's ear of it, we sack them at the next election.  It's a highly imperfect system but as Churchill said "democracy is the worst form of Government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time".

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #974 on: February 22, 2019, 10:17:57 am »
I think that, just like the political classes, you’re maybe scared of letting ordinary people express their wishes and views - but it is their money that the Government spends and they are entitled to have a view that should be listened to.