Author Topic: National politics  (Read 313453 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: National politics
« Reply #735 on: May 07, 2017, 09:15:25 am »
The Unions can only blame themselves for electing  Ed Milliband and Jeremy Corbyn but Corbyn has done more harm to the Labour Party than any Tory could ever inflict on it.
He has voted against Labour more often than any Tory ever has and I just hope that as soon as he resigns Labour may have a better chance of recovery in the future

Offline Hugo

« Reply #736 on: May 07, 2017, 11:20:01 am »
It says a lot when MP's don't want their own leader to visit their constituency prior to the General Election

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39826375

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #737 on: May 08, 2017, 08:33:53 am »
The Unions can only blame themselves for electing  Ed Milliband and Jeremy Corbyn but Corbyn has done more harm to the Labour Party than any Tory could ever inflict on it.
He has voted against Labour more often than any Tory ever has and I just hope that as soon as he resigns Labour may have a better chance of recovery in the future

If the Labour vote collapses at the General election it will be interesting to see if he does, indeed, stand down. It wouldn't in the least surprise me if he didn't, quoting the 'vast numbers of ordinary members' who voted him as leader.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #738 on: May 08, 2017, 09:39:37 am »
Many years ago when I first started voting,  I was told by an older person about some MP's in the Labour Party.      These MP'S  had more in common with the Communist Party, but because they knew that they would never be elected into Parliament representing that Party they chose to stand as  Labour candidates and express their true political views once they had become an MP.
If Labour lose the election then Corbyn should do the decent thing and resign before he does irreparable damage to the Labour Party

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #739 on: May 08, 2017, 11:12:45 am »

If the Labour vote collapses at the General election it will be interesting to see if he does, indeed, stand down. It wouldn't in the least surprise me if he didn't, quoting the 'vast numbers of ordinary members' who voted him as leader.

Sadly, I could not agree more, it will be an interesting - if depressing, time. I think that it is sad that history never gave the two people who I believe would have changed this country for the better, John Smith and David Miliband, an opportunity to lead the Labour Party in to government.

Hugo, I'm sure you are correct with your anecdote, and I'd also guess that there are as many closet fascists as there are communists. 

Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #740 on: May 08, 2017, 01:50:19 pm »

Sadly, I could not agree more, it will be an interesting - if depressing, time. I think that it is sad that history never gave the two people who I believe would have changed this country for the better, John Smith and David Miliband, an opportunity to lead the Labour Party in to government.

Hugo, I'm sure you are correct with your anecdote, and I'd also guess that there are as many closet fascists as there are communists. 

Cheer up, Tony Blair is talking of a comeback!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #741 on: May 09, 2017, 07:02:36 pm »
Try to catch BBC news tonight.  Excellent bit in which they show the headlines of the DFM in 2010 and now, in 2017. They're both concerned with the proposed energy cap. When Milliband proposed it the DFM called it Marxist, but now KJMay is saying it, the same idea's apparently a great idea. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Hugo

« Reply #742 on: May 10, 2017, 10:30:25 pm »
The draft document includes plans to nationalise the energy firms and the railways

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39877439

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #743 on: May 12, 2017, 11:11:47 am »
The draft document includes plans to nationalise the energy firms and the railways

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39877439
Is it 1974 again?  :laugh:

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #744 on: May 12, 2017, 11:17:10 am »
It's very depressing...

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #745 on: May 15, 2017, 03:37:35 pm »

Hang on a minute! There was no 'block' voting from Unions. It was one man one vote. However non members of the Labour party could vote as members of the union.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #746 on: May 15, 2017, 05:45:13 pm »
You are correct of course but then it makes you wonder how so many voted for a pair of losers.     &shake&

It seems that there is worse to come and I just hope that the Labour Party won't now be confined to the political wilderness like they were when the other no hoper Michael Foot was the leader of the party

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/08/jeremy-corbyn-vows-stay-labour-leader-no-matter-election-result/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_em

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #747 on: May 18, 2017, 01:01:54 pm »
Wow

The Torys manifesto has gone down like a lead balloon. Even the 'top rated' comments on the Daily Mail are laying into it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4517736/May-unveils-tough-love-manifesto-vowing-shore-care.html#comments

Is there a chance they are trying to lose this election on purpose?

I can't see any other logic for her or her party's behaviour over this campaign.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #748 on: May 18, 2017, 02:01:40 pm »
You've forgotten that anything the DFM disapproves of will bring millions to her side.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #749 on: May 18, 2017, 04:21:40 pm »
It's not the paper that is disapproving the journalists are blowing her trumpet. It's the readers, even the staunchest Tories are disgusted with this.