Author Topic: National politics  (Read 313476 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: E.S.O.L. & The Life in the UK test.
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 12:13:40 pm »
Is that real, or am I just being gullible...........it has been known............couldn't resist doing the test, got 83% two questions wrong.  )*)&
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
National politics
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 05:18:50 pm »
It was headline news on both BBC and ITV, took up at least ten minutes.Unfortunately I had never heard of him and I cannot even remember his name from 24 hours ago. But I found this news unbelievably depressing. He has resigned because he publicly stated that, in his opinion, a lot of [people in this country "had never had it so good." Mainly because interest rates are at record lows.
 I am not interested in what he thinks, its not that that depressed me.  It is the fact that this person, presumably educated (he is or was an adviser to our Prime Minister) thought he could get away with a remark like this. Has he got no common sense whatsoever?  Worse, as the resignation storm gathered he "withdrew" his statement.  So what?  He presumaby believed what he said 24 hours ago.  He might at least stick with what he said. Did the people who control this country tell him he had better retract what he said and "they" will forget all about it.
  So, not only is he incredibly stupid, he is also incredibly dishonest,  AND HE IS ONE OF THE PEOPLE RUNNING OUR LIVES                 Pass the soapbox
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 03:15:40 pm by Ian »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Yesterdays resignation by a top Tory
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 07:47:27 pm »
When you go round any shopping centre and see the amount of money being spent, then you could hardly disagree with him. Even on the poorest housing estates, you see people with the latest designer clothes and expensive mobile phones. Given the amount of money expended on the Welfare State, there should be no such thing as poverty these days.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 09:01:06 pm »
Hello Dave,  I did'nt say I disagreed with him.   I didnt say either way.    I just am astonished that someone like him could say something like that and not expect a backlash.   Then---when the backlash came, as sure as eggs are eggs it would, he retracts it (under pressure???). Either way,in my mind he is either,or both, an idiot or a coward. And the likes of him are controlling us.  Mike

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 09:42:09 pm »
I see what you mean. Well, there's no correlation between being a politician and being clever!

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2010, 02:12:49 pm »
Tact and diplomacy don't always go hand in hand with Politicians but he should have tried to justify his comments before resigning like that.    Times are tough for certain people but it can't be that bad if millions of people are still  trying to get into this country.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2010, 02:40:13 pm »
I've just taken the test and I'm expecting a knock on the dor very soon! Goodbye my friends.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Re: National politics
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2010, 05:11:14 pm »
On the topic of what people in "high" places say and how they say it, I happened to catch part of the Politics Show at lunchtime. It was the Welsh part and Edwina Hart was being interviewed in her current role as Welsh Health Minister at the WAG. I have never liked this woman since she became the Finance Minister in the earlier days of the Welsh Assembly and came over as an arrogant individual who just didn't appear to listen to anyone.

Anyway back to my point in making this post - she was asked a question about the current state of Welsh hospitals and the Welsh National Health Service. Her response started by her saying that "MY National Health Service would ..................."

MY NATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE? Both my wife and I picked up on it and expressed  surprise to each other.

How dare she refer to it as "MY" NATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE - it is OUR HEALTH SERVICE and she is merely a servant of the people and cannot claim to OWN our Health Service. :rage:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 05:20:44 pm by Bellringer »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2010, 05:17:01 pm »
She is indeed a servant of the people, and many local and national politicians, not to mention council staff, would do well to remember that.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2010, 09:11:18 pm »
I've just taken the test and I'm expecting a knock on the dor very soon! Goodbye my friends.

There's two "O's" in door Paddy.  L0L

Offline Paddy

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 11:07:53 am »

Thanks for that Trojan. The "O" on my keyboard is broken so sometimes it doesn't wrk.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Amazing statement by a Politician
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 06:31:20 pm »
How about this five word statement  "A SMALL HANDFULL OF BILLIONS."    You deep thinkers might care to tell me if they think this is even possible.  It was said by someone in the Irish rescue discussion, its on Page 3 of todays Dail Mail, somewhere. Mike

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 08:09:24 pm »
I think its about this time that we should be thanking our lucky stars that the previous Labour Govt did not get their own way by making the UK join the Euro. William Hague was spot on about it being a potential disaster.

Yorkie

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 09:15:15 pm »
Did anyone else see the program tonight on Muslim Schools?   Beware the enemy within!   $uk

Offline Trojan

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2010, 08:27:54 pm »

Thanks for that Trojan. The "O" on my keyboard is broken so sometimes it doesn't wrk.

Try using the Zero key. To the untrained eye it looks the same 0, o, O.