Author Topic: National politics  (Read 313750 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: National politics
« Reply #1155 on: May 10, 2022, 12:27:21 pm »
Plans to increase the number of politicians in the Senedd by more than half have been unveiled.

It would mean the Welsh Parliament going up to 96 members, a rise of 36.

There have been calls to expand the Senedd to cope with its increasing workload, and it would be the first change in size since it opened in 1999.

The plans, which include proposals to boost the number of women elected, have been set out by Labour and Plaid Cymru, although Conservatives are opposed.

It had previously been estimated in 2020 that another 30 Members of the Senedd (MSs) would cost an extra £12m.      &shake&

But the Welsh Liberal Democrats said the proposals fell short of a democracy "fit for Wales" and accused the parties of rushing them out.

Meanwhile Conservative Welsh Secretary Simon Hart criticised how much it may potentially cost.         &shake&

The plans will need to be agreed by two-thirds of the Welsh Parliament, but with Labour and Plaid having the numbers to get the plan through the Senedd, it is highly likely to happen.

cont https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-61392204

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1156 on: May 25, 2022, 08:04:42 pm »
[smg id=4166]

RIP Sue Grey...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1157 on: June 11, 2022, 01:09:51 pm »
Boris' ideas seem to get barmier by the day.  First the bridge from the UK to Ireland ( now scrapped )       

Then transporting the illegal migrants to Rwanda for their asylum applications to be processed   (  over 10,000 illegal migrants entered the UK in 2022?  )

Now raising the age from 18 to 21 for people to buy cigarettes   ( People can go into the Armed Services and get married at 18 so it's a bit insulting to those young people who may be affected if the law was to go through )

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing the results of the two by-elections that are going to be held in the UK later in June

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Welsh National politics
« Reply #1158 on: July 04, 2022, 10:35:40 am »
Proposals to reform the Senedd have been overwhelmingly adopted by Welsh Labour at a special recall conference.

The conference in Cardiff Bay agreed with plans that will see the number of Senedd members increase from 60 to 96.

Members backed the move by 75.64%, with 24.36% voting against the proposals.

However, the method by which Senedd members would be elected had sparked controversy amongst the party.

The ?closed list system? had been opposed by some Labour branches, while it had also been discounted by an expert panel that examined potential electoral reform back in 2017.

Any change to the Senedd's electoral system need to be backed by two thirds of members. Mark Drakeford had agreed the package of proposals with Plaid Cymru. The changes are intended to be made in time for the next Senedd election in 2026.

It is likely to dramatically change the face of Welsh politics ? marking Welsh elections as markedly different from those held in the other countries of the UK and from how those of the first 23 years of Welsh devolution were conducted.

cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/20253305.welsh-labour-overwhelmingly-agrees-senedd-expansion-plans/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1159 on: July 06, 2022, 10:31:07 pm »
There were 42 resignations ( up to half an hour ago anyway )  and Michael Gove AKA  "The Snake"  sacked
Ah well.  just another day at the office

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62073049

Boris Johnson met Russian oligarch Lebedev without aides  and later made his son a member of the House of Lords :o

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62068421

Offline Helig

« Reply #1160 on: July 07, 2022, 11:44:35 am »
I reckon much more corruption will be discovered when he has departed, the sooner the better. I suggest a one way ticket to North Korea for Boris.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1161 on: July 07, 2022, 06:29:27 pm »
The seventh of July should become a public holiday. Today is when the Eton educated, practised liar, brazen charlatan and utterly dishonest flim-flam man was subject to a long overdue removal. He should never have been elected but that?s a matter for the consciences of Tory party members everywhere. But for the moment?enjoy.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1162 on: July 07, 2022, 07:11:51 pm »

Offline BrianP

« Reply #1163 on: July 07, 2022, 09:25:51 pm »
I am sick of members of the public, stating that Boris has done so many good things as our PM. The facts are Brexit was a shambles, track and trace cost a fortune and was not fit for purpose and 20, 000 people died in Care Homes, when hospitals were emptied without testing for Covid. If that is success, I would hate failure.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1164 on: July 08, 2022, 02:09:07 pm »
You are correct in everything you have said about Boris and you could have added a lot more on to that list as well.    Billions of pounds have been wasted on PPE fraud and cronyism and I seem to remember Boris' younger brother Jo was either in or going in to a firm that supplied PPE's to the NHS
181,000 Covid deaths and his contempt for the rule of law will not be forgotten by the majority of UK people as well as the fact that he lied to the Queen, to Parliament and to the people of the UK.        He is a compulsive liar and that's not a legacy to be proud of

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1165 on: July 08, 2022, 03:22:01 pm »
Hugo have you seen the invoice for the refurb of the flat. It?s shocking over ?200 K,  that will be dirty money 😡

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1166 on: July 08, 2022, 05:22:10 pm »
It leaves a bad taste thinking about that refurbishment Norman  and doesn't say much for Boris' taste in design either.

Just a thought and I'm surprised that the journalists didn't ask it   Just who paid for the suitcase full of booze that they bought for the Party at No 10?        It couldn't have been the taxpayers,  could it?

Offline BrianP

« Reply #1167 on: July 08, 2022, 05:53:09 pm »
Boris wants to have a Wedding at Chequers, who does he think will pay for it?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1168 on: July 08, 2022, 11:18:48 pm »
Boris Johnson forced to move wedding party from Chequers after backlash from taxpayers
The pair married in May last year during the coronavirus pandemic, however due to restrictions on numbers it was a limited celebration
Perhaps the celebrations will now not go ahead seeing that he will have to pay for it himself

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-wedding-chequers-carrie-27428959

Offline Helig

« Reply #1169 on: July 09, 2022, 10:12:55 am »
I went to have my hair cut yesterday and Linzi, my hairdresser, was talking about the shenanigans over Boris's departure. We were discussing his finances and I told her that he claims he cannot live on his Prime Minister's salary of c?185,000 per year. She wondered why he needed so much money and we speculated it could be for child maintenance. It would be interesting to know how much that costs him. In a newspaper article he was described as "sexually incontinent". That just about sums it up. He has no morals, no integrity and no control.