Author Topic: Questions about places  (Read 115080 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: Questions about places
« Reply #285 on: September 02, 2013, 06:57:09 pm »
If you are able to check the street index's of Conwy to confirm my Dad was a Jackdaw

I've searched the RSPB website but unfortunately he's not listed.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #286 on: September 02, 2013, 07:33:34 pm »
Chris -  I'm sure Hugo will find more info for you but in the meantime, I have located a H Ward, labourer, who was living at 4 Roosevelt Terrace, Llandudno Junction in 1929.  He probably had died by 1939 as the householder is then listed as Mrs H Ward.

Offline wardeworld

« Reply #287 on: September 02, 2013, 10:40:02 pm »
Thanks Cam - That is the right one because i have a copy of death certificate Harry died in 1926 at the young age of 39 from my understanding he was working at llandudno Jct on the railway
and had some kind of accident and lost an arm which eventually led to his death

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #288 on: September 03, 2013, 04:58:53 pm »
Hugo
If you are able to check the street index's of Conwy to confirm my Dad was a Jackdaw -

I went to the Conwy Archives and had a look at two Street Indexes.   The 1922 didn't have Harry Ward in Berry Street so he must have moved to the Junction by then.

The 1914 Street Index did have Harry Ward in it living at No 34 Berry Street and Harry's occupation was a gardener.

So Chris you are indeed a Jackdaw but only just!   The cottage was the very last one near the town walls and it has since been demolished and replaced by this these  modern houses or flats.  The photo was taken today and your Taid's cottage would have been next to the steps and the walls, so very little privacy in the back garden

Offline wardeworld

« Reply #289 on: September 03, 2013, 05:54:38 pm »
Many thanks Hugo and a picture as well ! Harry was a gardener a bodlondeb until the first world war but don't think he ever returned to it because he joined the railway early 1920's

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #290 on: September 03, 2013, 06:19:16 pm »
The cottage was the very last one near the town walls and it has since been demolished and replaced by this these  modern houses or flats.   

Hugo, those new mews houses were built after the Territorial Army Drill Hall was demolished in 2003.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #291 on: September 03, 2013, 10:18:25 pm »
The cottage was the very last one near the town walls and it has since been demolished and replaced by this these  modern houses or flats.   

Hugo, those new mews houses were built after the Territorial Army Drill Hall was demolished in 2003.

Thanks Bri,  I bet there is a photo somewhere of Chris's Taid's old cottage before the demolition occurred.

Sorry Chris, but I meant that your Dad was a Jackdaw and not yourself.     :-[

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #292 on: November 05, 2013, 08:34:44 am »
Off to Grasmere in january for a few nights staying at the Daffodil hotel,anybody been to the village or hotel.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #293 on: November 05, 2013, 08:44:23 am »
It is a big old fashioned building and here is what they say about themselves.

The Daffodil Hotel and Spa offers contemporary luxury on the shores of Grasmere water, located in the heart of The Lake District and just a short walk into Grasmere village. A full English breakfast is served each morning and free Wi-Fi is available throughout.

Rooms at The Daffodil Hotel and Spa are stylish and spacious, each with a flat-screen TV and media panel, en suite bathroom with complimentary Molton Brown toiletries, luxury crisp cotton linen, ironing facilities and still bottled water.

Guests staying at The Daffodil can also indulge in the hotel’s luxury spa complete with Germaine De Capuccini therapies and products, a 10m thermal pool, steam room, sauna and tepidarium.

The restaurant at The Daffodil serves a traditional British menu with a modern twist. The dining room enjoys a lake view, as does the Sitting Room where afternoon tea is served. In addition the property has a beautiful terrace for enjoying the finer weather.

The hotel is ideally situated on the A591 as you enter Grasmere which allows easy access to the popular Lake District towns of Keswick 13 miles to the north and Ambleside 4 miles to the south.

I like the Lake District  as it has some fabulous scenery and some excellent driving roads!   :D
Enjoy!
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline mull

« Reply #294 on: November 05, 2013, 09:03:27 am »
Regular visitors to Grasmere and stay at Bridge House Hotel, highly re comended.
Good base for touring around. If you enjoy easy walking get hold of a copy of booklet " Nowt but scenery " .
Hope you enjoy your stay.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #295 on: November 05, 2013, 09:46:52 am »
Grasmere is a lovely village-- stayed near there a few times in different places. Skelwith Bridge Hotel-- Highfield House in Hawkshead and The Old Vicarage in Ambleside to name a few of them
The only tip I can offer is take warm clothes if you are venturing outside. It is perishing up there in winter !
Just as an aside-- once lost a clutch over Hardknott !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #296 on: July 08, 2014, 08:47:47 am »
                 I have a pass from Llandudno Town Hall to enable me to have free entry to the Marine Drive for access to the Great Orme Cemetery to visit relative's graves. Does that pass cover free parking at the Summit Complex as apparently the purchase of a ticket at the Tollgate is valid for parking there and must be displayed when you park there?

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #297 on: July 08, 2014, 08:50:48 am »
I recently purchased the Annual Pass for £15 from the Town Hall and it covers me to park at the Summit.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #298 on: July 08, 2014, 09:05:41 am »
                 I have a pass from Llandudno Town Hall to enable me to have free entry to the Marine Drive for access to the Great Orme Cemetery to visit relative's graves. Does that pass cover free parking at the Summit Complex as apparently the purchase of a ticket at the Tollgate is valid for parking there and must be displayed when you park there?

I think you will find that the Cemetery Pass only covers visits to the departed.  The two passes are different colours.    Z**
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #299 on: July 08, 2014, 09:14:23 am »
           Thanks for your prompt and informative replies Bri and Yorkie, much appreciated.