Author Topic: Questions about places  (Read 114961 times)

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
Re: Questions about places
« Reply #270 on: August 22, 2013, 04:29:12 pm »
Looking at the 1929 Directory, Gorse Bank is on Morfa Drive, the entry follows the one for Dr Garretts  Childrens Convalescent home  and sanatorium which is listed as two properties  - Min-y-Don  and Holmfield -  This was set up in the 1910's and consisted of several properties  (up to 5) known collectively as Dr Garrets, - There are no entries for Morfa House or Holliewood house on this road in 1929 so it could be that by then  they formed part of the Dr Garretts complex. There is a Morfa View, a Morfa Gardens House and a Morfa Cottage  on the same road.

There is a lot of info on the internet about Dr Garrets which might help you and there is a collection of photos held at the Archives in Lloyd Street Llandudno

Offline wardeworld

« Reply #271 on: August 22, 2013, 10:07:00 pm »
Many thanks least have a rough idea where it was

Offline wardeworld

« Reply #272 on: August 23, 2013, 08:56:37 am »
On rechecking the census return not sure of the spelling of Holliewood - looks like begins Hol and ends wood but the are poss a couple of letters in between that can not work out -  Morfa house must have been a considerable building which i guess Dr Garret's took over: it is listed in 1911 as with 24 rooms by looking at the the other residents a boarding house even a school with people from France Switzerland & Germany listed as students  Thanks for your help in putting one part of the family in a location now on to the hard bit sort out Davies of Gyffin -  No peace for the wicked

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #273 on: August 23, 2013, 10:07:18 am »
I worked at Dr Garretts for a short time in the 1970's the main house was a very fine building and in a lot of the rooms original features like wood panelling and carved fireplaces were still intact.

The 1929 directory includes Gyffin if you would like me to look up a name for you

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #274 on: August 23, 2013, 10:20:50 am »
Thanks Cambrian,  is it likely to still be there or do you know if it has gone with all the development that has happened in that area?
Dr Garretts closed in 1989, it is now a housing development named 'Dr Garretts Drive'.
http://goo.gl/maps/N4Cp5

A lot of information and some photos can be seen here:
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/wales/archive/bbc-north-west-wales-conwy-dr-garretts-childrens-home-history.pdf

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #275 on: August 23, 2013, 11:43:30 am »
It looks so different now

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #276 on: August 23, 2013, 09:57:07 pm »
Gorse Bank is still there at No 36 Morfa Drive Conwy so Morfa House should be No 38 if it is still there.   

Offline Paulakelsall

« Reply #277 on: August 26, 2013, 09:39:56 pm »
I believe at least two of the large detached houses on Morfa Drive were split to form semi detached houses at some point in the past. It would follow that the properties would require renaming. I am sorry I do not know the old/new names or numbering.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #278 on: August 27, 2013, 03:47:18 pm »
I had a look in Morfa Drive today and Gorse Bank (No36)  is still there but Morfa House isn't.   It must have been demolished to make way for the new housing estate.
Gorse Bank is the older property on the left of the photo and the new house at No 38 is roughly where Morfa House would have been. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #279 on: August 28, 2013, 04:47:07 pm »
I was in the Archives and had a look at the 1922 Street Index for Conwy and the building was listed as Morfa Guest House and the breadwinner was Miss Howarth Walker. On the other side of this property were Holmfield and then Holmwood.
In the 1922 Street Index Morfa House was still run by Miss Howarth Walker but next door was now called Min Y Don Childrens Convalescent Home and Sanatorium run by Thos. James Galloway Garrett.
After reading Suepp's postings,  I read a bit about Dr Garrett's home and all the good work that he had done so it's only fitting that he had a street named in his honour.

Offline wardeworld

« Reply #280 on: August 28, 2013, 07:31:25 pm »
Many thanks for the update &pics

Offline Hugo

« Reply #281 on: August 28, 2013, 10:22:14 pm »
You're very welcome Chris.   If you need any help on here regarding the Davies side just post on here as those Street Indexes can be an easy way of getting info on addresses.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #282 on: September 01, 2013, 05:49:40 pm »
I was reading Chris Draper's book " walks from Conwy" and came across an article that may be of interest.   It said that when you reach the large semi detached Victorian house (must be Gorse Bank)  there used to be 6 large semi detached houses at the end of the row. In 1916 Dr Garrett bought the one at the far end called Min Y Don and then with the help of the Manchester board of Guardians he then bought the other five houses and ran them as an extension of his Convalescent home.
The home was closed on 31st January 1989 put up for sale and was subsequently demolished and a new estate of houses built, Morfa House would have been one of the six houses that were demolished.

Offline wardeworld

« Reply #283 on: September 01, 2013, 11:11:53 pm »
Hugo
If you are able to check the street index's of Conwy to confirm my Dad was a Jackdaw - Hannah Parry Married my Grandfather Harry Ward in Feb 1914 and lived in Berry St Conwy where they had my Farther Ivor in Mar 1915 they all moved to Junction in the early 1920,s Your help would be much appreciated but no rush

Chris

Offline Hugo

« Reply #284 on: September 01, 2013, 11:19:59 pm »
Chris,  all being well I'm going to the Archives on Tuesday 3rd Sept and I'll have a look then and see what I can find,
I know that they have a 1914 Street Index and a 1922 one so I'll have a look at them both