Author Topic: Questions about places  (Read 114999 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Questions about places
« Reply #165 on: January 30, 2013, 07:42:45 pm »
The modern guests want to come by their own Car and park outside the Hotel they are staying at. Every time one of them gets a Parking Ticket they say to hell with Llandudno and won’t come back, just like the people who get tickets in Venue Cymru car park on a winters evening. The answer to empty beds is to get a Council that gives a S*** about the towns visitors and provides for their needs.
I completely agree.  $good$

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2013, 07:43:19 pm »
I wonder if any of these hotels that are suffering from lack of business could do with a visit from Alex Polizzi?    ;)

A very mean spirited and bigoted comment, from someone who obviously has no knowledge of the hard work and investment put in by the Hospitality sector of this town. Try reading the reviews on Trip Advisor before you post any further inane comments.
Shame on you.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #167 on: January 30, 2013, 07:50:46 pm »
Looks like it's time to organise another match....

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #168 on: January 30, 2013, 08:44:59 pm »
i agree with all you say blongb they have ruined our once lovely town as you say people come for short stays to get away from the city life, but with the stupidity of parking [fines ] people won,t come back, welcome to llandudno the sign says  don,t think.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #169 on: January 30, 2013, 10:47:20 pm »
I wonder if any of these hotels that are suffering from lack of business could do with a visit from Alex Polizzi?    ;)

A very mean spirited and bigoted comment, from someone who obviously has no knowledge of the hard work and investment put in by the Hospitality sector of this town. Try reading the reviews on Trip Advisor before you post any further inane comments.
Shame on you.

When we moved to Llandudno we bought a Guest House/Hotel which we ran very successfully!

So you see I am not without experience!   Non of my comments referred expressly to your enterprise, but there are others who think that running a Hotel or Guest house is easy and you and I know it is not.  I have expressed my opinion which I do not regard as bigoted or mean spirited.  I do not care an awful lot for the information contained in Trip Advisor having had a different experience to that expected from their comments.

It does seem that every time I cast an opinion on this Forum I receive criticism from one or other quarter, so maybe the time has come for me to just put links to the papers, news items and other web sites.   Enjoy!

Goodnight!

P.s.   or maybe I could test out the theory as to where the best local Forum lies!
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #170 on: January 30, 2013, 11:46:19 pm »
hi Yorkie, we know you would never leave us but if you do find a better forum than this let me know and good luck you'll need it

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: January 31, 2013, 07:30:17 am »
In 1992 (I think) the Llandudno Heritage Trust, along with others, commissioned a report into the Resort's future. The steering was done by David Hughes, of the Home Front Experience. The report looked at every aspect of Llandudno and eventually came out with three things: firstly, they thought the Great Orme was the most valuable asset the town possessed. Secondly, they considered that long terms plans with regard to the promenade and West shore needed to be commissioned and studied. Thirdly, they noted that the lack of parking was one of the main obstacles to the target demographic staying in Llandudno.  Llandudno, they reasoned, has maintained the Victorian concept very carefully and and seen its heyday in the 1950s. These twin characteristics meant that nostalgia was the most significant force driving off-season visiting, but that very asset meant the target demographic was ageing, and thus more dependent on their car.

One interesting idea, BTW, was to create new, multi-storey car parks but site them behind the façade of unused hotels.  So, for instance, a new car park could be built on the Clarence site, but it would still appear - to all intents and purposes - to be the Clarence hotel.  Another option is to devise an efficient off-site parking system, perhaps similar to what the Grand used to have.  Suppose, for example, that eight smaller hotels on the front came together to lease a piece of land somewhere else in town.  Those same hotels could then employ - between them - say, 3 drivers, who would park and retrieve cars for the guests.

There are no simple answers to the car parking issue, and it's unlikely to improve in the short term. On a typical working day, for instance, St Mary's Road is heaving from dawn to dusk with those working in the town.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #172 on: January 31, 2013, 08:02:27 am »
P.s.   or maybe I could test out the theory as to where the best local Forum lies!
I don't think there are any other local Forums, to be honest.

There's one or two North Wales based ones like this one:
http://www.gogledd.com/forum/index.php
...but they have over 1,500 members and no-one has posted since the start of November!

Or their Llandudno Forum: http://www.gogledd.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1
....with a couple of posts a year.

By contrast, we have over 10,000 unique visitors a month and over 1,000 posts even in a quiet month. That's why we're No.1, Kimosabi.  ;)

$3towns$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: January 31, 2013, 08:03:54 am »
One interesting idea, BTW, was to create new, multi-storey car parks but site them behind the façade of unused hotels.  So, for instance, a new car park could be built on the Clarence site, but it would still appear - to all intents and purposes - to be the Clarence hotel. 
That is an interesting idea, I like it. I believe the topic of a multi-storey car park came up at a Council Meeting and was approved several years ago. But nothing ever happened, of course!

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #174 on: January 31, 2013, 08:26:16 am »
Mostyn Broadway Coach Park would make a very good multi-storey car park.

Coaches could then possibly use the facilities at the town’s newly-refurbished railway station.
 or the coach layby outside the pier gates

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #175 on: January 31, 2013, 08:28:00 am »

Coaches could then possibly use the facilities at the town’s newly-refurbished railway station.
Again, not a bad idea. The Coach Park would be ideal for a multi-storey car park.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #176 on: January 31, 2013, 08:56:00 am »

or the coach layby outside the pier gates

A few original plans.

1) To make the Station site a transport hub to receive coaches, have a large car park and a Tourist Office/ Visitor Reception.

2) To Make the Coach Park in Mostyn Broadway either into a Department Store with Parking included or a multi-storey, but land considered too valuable for just a car park.

3) To make the old School in Trinity Avenue into a Multi=storey car park.

4) To have a Park and Ride operating from Bodafon Fields using Trams to ferry into town.  Dead before it started due to the logistics of being unable to cope with the numbers at peak times.

5)  To make the Town Hall car park into a multi-storey car park

6) A "secure" coach park was provided at Builder Street  but as we all know many coaches are still illegally parked around the Town which has a blanket ban on coach parking as in the On Street Parking Order.

Plus a few others none of which have seen any action for almost 20 years.

ASDA and the Retail Parks were supposed to provide general parking but since the advent of the time limits such is no longer of use to Holiday-makers.

Parking on Marine Drive near the Toll Gate has only evolved over the past few years and due to the increasing use the yellow lines were put in to preserve the first hundred yards or so.  Anyone who wants their cars bombarded with rocks thrown by some people from the top are welcome to park as far as I am concerned!

The Lease on Maelgwyn Road car park expired some time ago and is now operating on borrowed time so there is another nail in the coffin.

As has been said by some, everyone wants to drive into Town and park IMMEDIATELY outside the place they are visiting.  So much of the problem must lie with their attitude.  The number of Disabled (Blue Badge) parking bays in any parking area are designated by Law, and most Badge holders (including myself) do not abuse their privilege as they can lose their entitlement and also be subject to a hefty fine.  Of course there are people who use someone else's Badge or a forged or stolen one.  The new plastic one may stop that.

Not much else to say now, so I'll SHUT UP! ££$

:P :P :P

Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #177 on: January 31, 2013, 09:00:53 am »

She would be very welcome-- and I'm sure Blongbob would say the same.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #178 on: January 31, 2013, 09:03:07 am »

She would be very welcome-- and I'm sure Blongbob would say the same.

There is certainly nothing wrong with getting a new appraisal of one's business from someone with experience and knowledge.   ;)
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #179 on: January 31, 2013, 09:06:24 am »
Can't imagine that she is reviewing at the moment, she has a baby due in March !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.