Author Topic: Questions about places  (Read 115091 times)

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
Re: The Baths
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2011, 06:28:56 pm »
No there's no pier in my photo but the Baths look sort of the same although it's a different angle.  More from the side .  Where did this jetty/pier come ashore?  Looks like half way up Happy Valley Road much further along than the side entrance of todays pier so maybe it wouldn't show on my photo. because it was behind the photographer>?  Hmmmm.

Maybe the photographer is stood on the Pier?

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
Re: The Baths
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2011, 11:42:54 am »
Yes good point I studied it and you could be right.  The tide is out so it's a bit difficult to work out how high the photographer was.

Offline GwynHughes

• have a big interest in local history
    • soccerscrapbook
Re: Marl woods
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2011, 12:58:52 am »
I too am interested in this area , recently started to investigate the military aircrash of an Avro Anson came there into the bog area on the 15th Feb 1944 ...if you do find anything or info ....please let me know .
Gwyn
ogh23 -

Offline dogstail

Field in Llanrhos
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2011, 08:47:32 pm »
Every year as I'm goin into Llandudno, passing through Llanrhos there is a field opposite the Robertsons Research place looks like its growing corn.  I just wondered if anyone knew what it actually was, as I see them planting the seeds, and then a few months pass and it is maybe 6ft high?

Offline Yorkie

Re: Field in Llanrhos
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2011, 09:12:15 pm »
Never looked closely myself but it may be Fodder Maize - grown just for livestock feed.   Z**
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline dwsi

« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2011, 09:17:29 pm »
It's forage maize grown for silage to feed livestock. It's usually harvested in the beginning of October http://bit.ly/vGOL5Y

Offline dogstail

« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2011, 09:58:24 pm »
Thank you!  $good$

Offline seamist

« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2011, 07:51:01 pm »
A victorian walled garden.

Offline dogstail

Re: All about the Great Orme
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2012, 06:49:02 pm »
When I was a kid growing up on the Orme that was Aunty Vi's house. She was married to a builder (called Chocky I think)who owned a few houses on that row including both houses either side

Was his son called "Chocky" also? I remember a "Chocky" who married Lorraine King.

eddies lorraine?

Offline SCMP

« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2012, 05:58:38 pm »
I was around that area a little while back and took a few photos.
SCMP

Offline SCMP

« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2012, 06:00:42 pm »
You can just see the steps at the top, Victorian maybe?
SCMP

Offline jennie.ross

Re: All about the Great Orme
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2012, 07:52:00 pm »
Hi - Chocy was my Mum's Cousin.  My Grand-mother owned no5 Ty'n y Coed Road.She also owned no 4 no 3 and no 2 - choccy owned no 1, no 6 no 7 and no 8 I think.  Originally my Great Grandfather owned the whole Terrace and The Quarry at the Top, the Bungalow at the end and also a pair of semis called Ty Newydd and Bryn Awelon but when he died the property was divided between his Children My GrandMother, Chocky's Father and another son called Dante.  I often wonder what happened to Joy - as children we were very close

Offline richardfaz

North East Penrhyn Bay buildings/walls/ruins?
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2012, 04:59:49 pm »
I'm a newcomer to the area. My wife and I were walking to Angel Bay, and noticed the old "ruins?" on the cliffside at the end of Penrhyn Bay.

Does anyone know the history of these ruins - were they buildings, perhaps sea-walls or something completely different?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: North East Penrhyn Bay buildings/walls/ruins?
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2012, 05:02:22 pm »
There are a combination of the remains of old Quarry Buildings and the Coastal Artillery Base that existed there during WWII.

Offline Jack

Re: North East Penrhyn Bay buildings/walls/ruins?
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2012, 05:52:18 pm »
Most are relics of the limestone quarry workings rather than the coastal artillery school, the quarries stopped working in the early 1930s and the military requisitioned the land from Mostyn Estates in the early 1940s after the School of Coastal Artillery re-located from Shoeburyness in Essex to the Great Orme.  The Little Orme was used as a practice camp away from the main 'school' on the Great Orme.  I don't think men were billetted on the Little Orme.  The Royal Artillery sent regiments there to be trained in the use of coastal artillery, searchlights and wireless.  After the war, virtually everything was removed from the Little Orme except the concrete plinths on which nissen huts and artillery stood.  It was different on the Great Orme and there is a brilliant thread elsewhere on the forum about that.