Author Topic: Questions about places  (Read 114962 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: All about the Great Orme
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2011, 06:26:09 pm »
Wellies, hard hat and a mask needed I think! ;D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2011, 07:26:20 pm »
It looks just like the inside of my house, at the moment... :'( :weeping: :weeping:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2011, 11:37:50 pm »
When I was a kid growing up on the Orme that was Aunty Vi's house. She was married to a builder (called Chocky I think)who owned a few houses on that row including both houses either side. Their daughter Joy moved into the house on the left of the picture (no 7). Aunti Vi was a bible basher and used to hold a kids club called Squash (because you got an orange drink) which was a bit like Sunday School but my dad, being the atheist he is, wouldn't let me attend. They eventually divorced and Chocky moved to the detached house at the top of the road opposite the small quarry before you get to Anglesea Road. It's very sad to see how run down the property has become.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2011, 10:57:19 am »
The Roberts family.  I used to work with Joy in the Records office in the hospital.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2011, 05:06:56 pm »
When I was a kid growing up on the Orme that was Aunty Vi's house. She was married to a builder (called Chocky I think)who owned a few houses on that row including both houses either side

Was his son called "Chocky" also? I remember a "Chocky" who married Lorraine King.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2011, 05:24:39 pm »
 no his son was called david  and  Bill [ chocky] owns quite a bit of property along there he also built a small place at the back of that house , oh the great times

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2011, 05:55:44 pm »
Did Bill ever have something to do with Llandudno FC when it was where the old Asda was Norman?

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2011, 06:23:05 pm »
 not sure about that one bri ,but i,m sure bill and your dad  would have worked together  they were both grafters in the building trade

Offline Ormewalker

Questions about places
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2011, 12:33:51 am »
Does anyone have any idea  what the remains of an old building are in Marl woods situated roughly between the entrance up to Bodysgallen Hall, off the A470 and the Marl Hall roundabout. We used to play there as kids and I can remember what seemed  to be a leat running  from a dried up pond and then along side an overgrown trackway up to a derelict building, curiously not made from local limestone,  which  then joined up to what is now Marl stream, I can remember seeing  what looked like old metal parts of a water wheel,( which where still there about 3-4 years ago). I can't find any reference on any old maps of a mill having stood here, anybody out there who could enlighten me?   ;)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 05:12:38 pm by Ian »

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2011, 05:05:39 pm »
Knew Chocky well. He was a good lad. When I was helping Mel run the London (Roy was 'convalescing') in the mid 70s, we used to have bottles of milk behind the bar for him. He used to drink whisky and milk - said it was good for his ulcers.  Z**
Micox

Offline clubsie

Conwy Castle
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2011, 03:00:16 pm »
My mother now aged 73, remembers going to Conwy Castle around 1948 when she was 10 years old, and meeting her uncle Tom Roberts possibly in his fifties. Apparently he was the caretaker of the castle (?), and showed both her and her sister Gwen an archway made from a whale's jawbone. Although it would be considered vandalism by some, he carved both his niece's initials into the bone archway. Does anyone remember her uncle Tom, or the archway and where it may be now if it still exists?

Offline Jack

Friar Dale, Augusta Street
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2011, 03:32:41 pm »
I was forwarded the following email the other day and wondered if anyone with one of those old directories could see if there was a 'Friar Dale' on Augusta Street sometime during the WW2 years?  Many thanks.

"I was sorting through my postcard collection and I was looking at one which my grandad had sent to my Mum & Dad in 1944 from Llandudno. Dad said grandad was staying there for convalescence. On the card he had put the address where he was staying and it said Friar Dale, Augusta St. We tried to find it while we were in Llandudno."

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
Penrhyn Slate Quarry
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2011, 02:13:52 pm »
I was surprised and delighted to see a flat bed lorry in Gresham Street, City of London on Monday afternoon delivering packs of slates to the Guildhall.  "Made in Wales", Penrhyn slate quarries, Bethesda printed on the wrappers.
I didn't know that the quarries were still in use.  Does anyone know who owns them now?  Not hopefully the Pennants of Penrhyn Castle

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Penrhyn Slate Quarry
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2011, 02:22:56 pm »
In 2007 it was purchased by Kevin Lagan (an Irish businessman who is the owner and chairman of the Lagan Group) and renamed Welsh Slate Ltd. Kevin Lagan and his son Peter (MD of Lagan Building Solutions Ltd) are now directors of Welsh Slate Ltd which also includes the Oakley quarry in Blaenau Ffestiniog, the Cwt Y Bugail quarry and the Pen Yr Orsedd quarry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrhyn_Quarry
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
Re: Penrhyn Slate Quarry
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2011, 12:23:31 pm »
Thanks so much for tjhis Merddyn