Author Topic: Questions about places  (Read 114992 times)

Offline mull

• Management board member
Re: Questions about places
« Reply #180 on: January 31, 2013, 09:11:03 am »
Note report into the resorts future was requested in 1992.

Not a lot has happend in the past 20 years .

I now only visit about once a year to see family and it is sad to see how the place is running down.
Seems to be a lack of pride.

Only thing left is the scenery.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #181 on: January 31, 2013, 09:25:47 am »
Note report into the resorts future was requested in 1992.

Not a lot has happend in the past 20 years .

I now only visit about once a year to see family and it is sad to see how the place is running down.
Seems to be a lack of pride.

Only thing left is the scenery.
You're right. The private sector (in the form of businesses like hotels) do their best to make their part of Llandudno look attractive, but the dead hand of CCBC is stifling their efforts, with a lack of civic pride, a lack of imagination, a lack of enthusiasm and a lack of innovative ideas.  &shake&

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #182 on: January 31, 2013, 11:25:00 am »
You're right. The private sector (in the form of businesses like hotels) do their best to make their part of Llandudno look attractive, but the dead hand of CCBC is stifling their efforts, with a lack of civic pride, a lack of imagination, a lack of enthusiasm and a lack of innovative ideas.  &shake&

The only answer to the apathy of the Councils (CCBC and Llandudno) is for the people who care to get themselves on the Councils or to seriously lobby their Ward Councillors.  Lets see more demonstrations such as have been, and will be, held in respect of Llandudno Hospital.  Why not have a Rates Revolt?

Ah!   Shut up Yorkie - you just talk a load of rubbish!  ZXZ 
And why not, many others do! $good$

And before BlongB says anything - I was on the Town Council but along with Wrex we never got support and it was just like pe*ing into the wind!
 $uk $uk $uk

Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #183 on: January 31, 2013, 12:36:21 pm »
You're right. The private sector (in the form of businesses like hotels) do their best to make their part of Llandudno look attractive, but the dead hand of CCBC is stifling their efforts, with a lack of civic pride, a lack of imagination, a lack of enthusiasm and a lack of innovative ideas. 

I agree.  It was envisaged that private companies would build the multi-storey car parks but thus far- nothing.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #184 on: January 31, 2013, 07:50:42 pm »
                  During a recent pub discussion about Llandudno and District many years ago it seemed that I was the only person present to remember three items from the late 1940's / early 50's, and I am wondering if any "senior" Forum members can verify their existence.
           1)- A  small narrow-gauge passenger-carrying railway (similar to the one that runs by St. John's Church during the Extravaganza) which used to run just below the Summit Complex (then Randy's Bar) on the northern side of the hillside overlooking St Tudno's Church. It used to run round the hill to below where the Cablecar terminus is now then reverse round to the start again above  where the car park is now and you can still see the trackbed where it was cut into the hillside.
           2)- A large aluminium caravan which was used as a cafe, known as the "Silver Canteen" and was situated in a quarry-type layby below the inclines on Conwy Mountain on the left of the old Conwy-Penmaenmawr road (long before the present A55) just beyond where the Conwy sawmills are now, and was very popular with bikers and lorry-drivers.
           3)- A mechanical elephant on the Pier which could carry kids, was operated by a man who used to control it by a control panel situated behind it's left ear, and used to run it from in front of the Pavilion down to the "Bumping Boats" and back. I think there was one on Colwyn Bay Prom as well (or was it  the same one!) and I think I have seen photos of it there on this Forum.
            Hopefully some knowledgable Forum member will remember some or all of these items and confirm that I am not losing my memory or at least some of my rapidly-disappearing credibility!
                                                                                                                      $thanx$

Offline mull

« Reply #185 on: January 31, 2013, 10:20:53 pm »
No memory of 1 or 2 but my wife remembers the elephant at Colwyn Bay.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #186 on: February 01, 2013, 04:45:27 pm »
It's alright Gwynant your not going mad!

I only remember the elephant. Where the Golden Goose is now at the entrance to Llandudno pier there used to be a small pond with boats on that you could bump in to.  Very exciting!  Then to the left nearest the Pavilon was a green painted  thatched cottage.  The elephant lived in there.  You got on a seat on the top and he walked down the pier as far as the book stall.  I don't remember the controls behind the ear but will take your word for it.
We used to get excited when we were occassionally taken down in to Tucsons Arcade which was a slope behind the pond.  Those were the days!

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #187 on: February 01, 2013, 05:08:55 pm »
must be gettin old as i remember the 3, and them water boats on the pier were brill bring them back

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #188 on: February 01, 2013, 10:03:47 pm »
must be gettin old as i remember the 3, and them water boats on the pier were brill bring them back

She'll kill me if she finds out, my O.H. used to work on the boats during week-ends and school holidays. When they finished see worked in the little ice-cream shop at the back of the pier pavilion
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #189 on: February 01, 2013, 10:36:20 pm »
                I'm relieved that some members remember the Elephant, but confirmation of the miniature railway at the summit (the track of which still can plainly be seen from above on Google maps, running from the Crazy Golf round the hill), and the Silver Canteen are still bugging me. Although I did talk to someone tonight in the pub, who thinks he can remember all three items, but he had been in there a few hours. Norman 08, when you said you could remember the 3, did you mean all 3 or just No.3?

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #190 on: February 02, 2013, 11:09:14 am »
If I see Ethel Roberts I'll ask her.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #191 on: February 02, 2013, 11:28:17 am »
should be some pics on here somewhere of the mini train up the summit

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #192 on: February 02, 2013, 12:41:22 pm »

If I see Ethel Roberts I'll ask her.
              Thanks for that Llechwedd, what Ethel doesn't know about the Orme isn't worth knowing!    $thanx$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: February 02, 2013, 03:53:54 pm »
I can't see the train in this photo, unless I'm missing something?

[smg id=2542]

Offline ed jones

« Reply #194 on: February 02, 2013, 04:16:20 pm »
Gwynant, I'm pretty sure thet there was a miniature railway up at the summit, I can just about remember it. I think it ran from the right hand side of Randy's place, round the back for a couple of hundred yards or so.
I never went on it but  I do remember it (I think). Us lads used to play football on the Waun, just by the second tram station (it was the only flat bit of grass in the area). When we got fed up we would all go off down the copper mines,  up the summit or all over the Orme like mountain goats. Makes me shudder when I see the places we used to get to. WWW
Just watched the rugby, oh eck!!! >:(