Author Topic: Questions about places  (Read 115207 times)

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
Re: Questions about places
« Reply #150 on: January 17, 2013, 09:07:03 pm »
windsor garage  alan jones off the orme his dad had it then i,m sure

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #151 on: January 17, 2013, 11:10:27 pm »
Can anybody help me with this one?Gwynant started me off with a photo of my dads' old boat The Welsh Maid. Way back in the distant mists of time 'When I were a lad' All the boats operating from the beach used to get our fuel from a garage at the top of Vardre lane at the back of Upper Mostyn Street, does anybody remember the name of it? Help Gwynant, do you remember struggling along to the beach with a five gallon jerrycan of fuel in each hand pretending they weren't heavy.
               Ed, I remember lugging 5 gallon cans up  to Windsor Garage for TVO (Tractor Vapourising Oil?),which was like paraffin and I seem to remember the boats used to run on it once they were started up on petrol and then switched over to TVO as it was cheaper. Also we used to get petrol from Kelly's Garage which used to have pumps outside their showrooms where Kavern Records were in later years. As I remember the trick was not to be around when any of the boats needed refuelling otherwise you ended up with muscles like Popeye! It was even worse at low tide when you had to lug them down the long jetty by the pier.
                                                                                               $good$

Offline ed jones

« Reply #152 on: January 18, 2013, 03:20:49 pm »
Chris, was it Windsor garage in Vardre Lane? Yea T.V.O. that was the stuff, that was until dad got that big Gardner diesel fitted in the Maid. As I remember it the tank was up forrad and it was about 20,000.000 gallons capacity, well it seemed like that much but to be fair he did collect it in the van but we did have to carry it down from the top of the steps and couldn't  spill a drop of it cos of the orrible smell might upset the passengers. Do you remember Chris HARRISON who worked for Sammy LLOYD on the Sunbeam? I seem to remember he had a cart to collect his fuel in, wuss!!! Z**

Offline ed jones

« Reply #153 on: January 20, 2013, 03:27:13 pm »
norman08, thanks for that. Brain now fully engaged it was the Windsor. $thanx$

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #154 on: January 29, 2013, 08:39:52 pm »
The Windsor Garage is no more  :(  Soon to reopen for guests of the Empire Hotel to have undercover Parking  :D
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: January 29, 2013, 08:41:50 pm »
The Windsor Garage is no more  :(  Soon to reopen for guests of the Empire Hotel to have undercover Parking  :D
Interesting. Parking is a big problem at the Empire.

Offline Blongb

« Reply #156 on: January 29, 2013, 08:53:56 pm »

Not just for the Empire, it affects Hotels all along the latter part of North Parade, Church Walks and Hill Terrace. We could just get by in busy periods by using Marine Drive just after the Toll Gate. I must have upset someone in the Council because they have now put yellow lines along the stretch we used. It’s as if our Council has a Death Wish and won’t be happy until we are all put out of business. If you think I’m joking just ask why 78 Hotels / B & B’s / Guesthouses are up for sale
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:54:35 pm by DaveR »

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #157 on: January 29, 2013, 09:26:51 pm »
In fairness to the Council one must remember that the majority, if not all, of the hotels were built before the motor car was the main form of transport for holiday makers.  Every railway carriage and charabanc has been replaced by 25 cars, so it is no wonder there is a shortage of space.

Much parking space has also been lost due to back-yard building which is in evidence particularly on sea front properties.

You can't blame the Council for everything.   ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #158 on: January 29, 2013, 09:53:41 pm »

Not just for the Empire, it affects Hotels all along the latter part of North Parade, Church Walks and Hill Terrace. We could just get by in busy periods by using Marine Drive just after the Toll Gate. I must have upset someone in the Council because they have now put yellow lines along the stretch we used. It’s as if our Council has a Death Wish and won’t be happy until we are all put out of business. If you think I’m joking just ask why 78 Hotels / B & B’s / Guesthouses are up for sale

And more to come I should imagine if everywhere is as quiet as it was last year.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blongb

« Reply #159 on: January 30, 2013, 02:47:17 pm »
In fairness to the Council one must remember that the majority, if not all, of the hotels were built before the motor car was the main form of transport for holiday makers.  Every railway carriage and charabanc has been replaced by 25 cars, so it is no wonder there is a shortage of space.

Much parking space has also been lost due to back-yard building which is in evidence particularly on sea front properties.

You can't blame the Council for everything.   ZXZ

I'm sorry to disagree with you Yorkie but we obviously don't live on the same Planet. Since we took over our place in August 1997, at a very modest estimate at least 250 free car parking spaces around Prince Edward Square, South and North Parade, Happy Valley Road, Happy Valley Gardens and Marine Drive been removed. Pay and display Parking had been introduced and the amount of free disabled parking places that has been allocated is truly beyond belief (especially as they can park for free on double yellow lines anywhere in the town as it is) I stand by what I said the Council has a deliberate vendetta against free parking and the businesses that depend on it. It’s also my firmly held belief they have a very deliberate policy of getting rid of as much Parking as they can for whatever totally misguided green agenda they are currently following.  79 Hotels / B & B’s / Guesthouses up for sale and rising.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2013, 03:08:51 pm »
To agree with you Blongb on the subject of parking-- the locals who parked on the prom for free now park further into town where there are no restrictions and go to work leaving their cars for the day. Thus people like your guests have no where to park until afer 5pm.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #161 on: January 30, 2013, 04:13:26 pm »

I'm sorry to disagree with you Yorkie but we obviously don't live on the same Planet. Since we took over our place in August 1997, at a very modest estimate at least 250 free car parking spaces around Prince Edward Square, South and North Parade, Happy Valley Road, Happy Valley Gardens and Marine Drive been removed. Pay and display Parking had been introduced and the amount of free disabled parking places that has been allocated is truly beyond belief (especially as they can park for free on double yellow lines anywhere in the town as it is) I stand by what I said the Council has a deliberate vendetta against free parking and the businesses that depend on it. It’s also my firmly held belief they have a very deliberate policy of getting rid of as much Parking as they can for whatever totally misguided green agenda they are currently following.  79 Hotels / B & B’s / Guesthouses up for sale and rising.

Point one, I do live on the same Planet and have have done for three score years and ten, plus a few.

Secondly, where there were ever 250 free parking paces in the vicinity of Prince Edward Square, I don't know.  That is just b.s.

Thirdly the idea of P & D parking is not primarily to create revenue but to make the best use of the available spaces.  Many spaces were taken up when there was very little control or policing by hotel residents parking all day, to the detriment of other businesses in the town.   The decision to adopt P & D around the town was not taken lightly and was only done after extensive research.
As I mentioned in another post some time ago, The Grand had an arrangement with CCBC to use the Maelgwyn Road Car Park for their guests, for which they and their guests paid.  And that was certainly in operation in 1991.   On-road charging has only been with us for a few years and certainly since the road lay out of the Prince Edward Square area was completed.

Llandudno is living, or surviving, with the same problems as are experienced by other Victorian resorts.  Have a look round and ask yourself what the town has to offer the holidaymaker, not with regard to parking, but with other amenities such as entertainment especially during bad weather.  Also consider that more and more people are holidaying abroad for decent weather and better value for money, and the answer to empty beds becomes apparent.

Finally if we can accommodate all the cars and traffic during the Extravaganza it can't be that bad.
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #162 on: January 30, 2013, 06:02:12 pm »
Parking on the promenade is very reasonably priced.

At present you can park anywhere on the prom at noon for £1 and stay parked in the same place until 10am the next day.

That is from the Grand Hotel right along to Venue Cymru Arena.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #163 on: January 30, 2013, 07:00:34 pm »
I wonder if any of these hotels that are suffering from lack of business could do with a visit from Alex Polizzi?    ;)
Cicero

Offline Blongb

« Reply #164 on: January 30, 2013, 07:31:21 pm »

Point one, I do live on the same Planet and have have done for three score years and ten, plus a few.

Secondly, where there were ever 250 free parking paces in the vicinity of Prince Edward Square, I don't know.  That is just b.s.

Thirdly the idea of P & D parking is not primarily to create revenue but to make the best use of the available spaces.  Many spaces were taken up when there was very little control or policing by hotel residents parking all day, to the detriment of other businesses in the town.   The decision to adopt P & D around the town was not taken lightly and was only done after extensive research.
As I mentioned in another post some time ago, The Grand had an arrangement with CCBC to use the Maelgwyn Road Car Park for their guests, for which they and their guests paid.  And that was certainly in operation in 1991.   On-road charging has only been with us for a few years and certainly since the road lay out of the Prince Edward Square area was completed.

Llandudno is living, or surviving, with the same problems as are experienced by other Victorian resorts.  Have a look round and ask yourself what the town has to offer the holidaymaker, not with regard to parking, but with other amenities such as entertainment especially during bad weather.  Also consider that more and more people are holidaying abroad for decent weather and better value for money, and the answer to empty beds becomes apparent.

Finally if we can accommodate all the cars and traffic during the Extravaganza it can't be that bad.

60 places lost when Happy Valley got Heritage Lottery Funding and had to remove all the free parking behind the Café, 40 plus spaces lost when we had the unnecessary roundabout put in at the beginning of Church Walks, 40 plus spaces lost on Happy Valley Road. 40 plus spaces with the redevelopment and road layout change to Prince Edward Square. Now factor in the spaces lost with the introduction of Coach Bays, Unloading Bays, Road narrowing measures, and the introduction of an over indulgence of disabled parking places and include the spaces lost to the single and double yellow lines leading up to the toll gate and up Church Walks and you can see my claim of losing the 250 places is factual and not as you suggest b.s.

I didn’t say if I thought P & D was a good or bad idea merely that its introduction removed what had been up to then free parking. If removing it because it was a detriment for the hotel guest to use it over other businesses in the Town then why is Mostyn Street especially up our end becoming a ghost town now that P & D has been introduced? Perhaps more professional extensive research is required to find out.

The Grand only needed the Maelgwyn Road parking because they had sold off their Garage in Water Street for building (Garth Court). It’s still possible to buy up to 4 parking permits for guest to use but unlike the Grand, I paid for them for my guests at a cost of £200 a year. Unfortunately just because I had bought and paid for the 4 permits didn’t guarantee them a parking slot.

People are going abroad for their main Holiday, a fact that cannot be denied, but by the same token people of our age group are taking more short breaks of 2 to 4 days than ever they did before. If you think we don’t offer value for money I suggest you check out our nightly rate with the rest of the country. The modern guests want to come by their own Car and park outside the Hotel they are staying at. Every time one of them gets a Parking Ticket they say to hell with Llandudno and won’t come back, just like the people who get tickets in Venue Cymru car park on a winters evening. The answer to empty beds is to get a Council that gives a S*** about the towns visitors and provides for their needs.

How many people can’t get to Llandudno on the Extravaganza weekend or spend hours and hours trapped in their cars, driving round and round, looking for somewhere to Park and how many of them will then say, “Llandudno, never again.” More than I care to think about.