Author Topic: Questions about places  (Read 115035 times)

Offline dwsi

Re: Graianllyn Llandrillo/Rhos
« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2012, 04:28:26 pm »
Grianllyn, Mochdre http://bit.ly/wnulwR and http://g.co/maps/ejdjf

Mochdre is near Llandrillo yn Rhôs/Rhôs on Sea

information about Robin ap Gruffydd Goch Of Grianllyn http://bit.ly/xBaKc4

and page 4 here http://bit.ly/wWOXhe

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2012, 04:37:47 pm »
You can take a StreetView look around here:
http://g.co/maps/s5ms2

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2012, 04:45:24 pm »
There's a photograph of the farmhouse - before alterations - on page 321 of Heart of Northern Wales Vol2.  The alterations seem to be the two dormer windows which were probably added  in the early 1920s.

Offline antfreer

Washington Hotel - 1960's
« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2012, 10:02:21 pm »
Does anyone know who ran/managed the Washington Hotel which had a club on the second floor where a lot of jazz and R & R bands played in the early to mid 1960's. I am doing a bit of research and looking for any contracts, reviews etc. Thanks, tony.

Tony Freer
Woodstock, Ontario
CANADA

Offline bigbadhenry

Re: Washington Hotel - 1960's
« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2012, 09:01:21 am »
No idea who ran it but I remember going to watch the Anglesey Strangers there.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2012, 08:43:56 pm »
just seen this thread. In 1966/7 it was run by the famous Charlie Payne of Payne's corner house amongst many other business. The manager was a thick set 40 year old of foreign extraction, possible Polish or Hungarian. I dont suppose for a moment he will read this, so , he had female tendencies.  I hated dealing with him, Im not afraid to state that I border on the homo phoebic,  and 45 years ago I was more than bordering on it, I just couldnt understand the mincing around.
 In case anone asks what I was doing there, one of my many money making ventures was running a cigarette vending machine business. Absolutely HUGH turnover, nothing to take £500 in a day off the various sites. Unfortunately the net profit was conversly TINY, touch and go whether I broke even.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2012, 07:25:02 am »
Another well known purveyor of cigarettes was Harry Pinkerton better known as "Harry The Fag" who sadly passed on some years ago.   He later went on to operate a Winery in Builder Street and a darn fine selection of Wines, Ports and other tipples he had on offer.  That was when I used to enjoy the odd glass or two! 
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline antfreer

« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2012, 01:50:26 pm »
Thanks for responses. Would "Charlie Payne" still be around. Looking for files related to the Washington back around 1964. Thanks, Tony

Offline Gixer181

Re: Marl woods
« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2012, 12:57:52 am »
I too am interested in this area , recently started to investigate the military aircrash of an Avro Anson came there into the bog area on the 15th Feb 1944 ...if you do find anything or info ....please let me know .
Gwyn
Have a read at no landing place written by eddie doylerush from rowen he has covered a vast amount of ww2 crashes in his book

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
aber falls
« Reply #129 on: August 09, 2012, 12:13:58 am »
can anyone tell me how far you have to walk from parking your car when you go to aber falls please? brian.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
Re: aber falls
« Reply #130 on: August 09, 2012, 12:24:30 am »
Brian

It's about a 4km round trip.

http://www.snowdoniaguide.com/aber_falls.html

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2012, 01:44:43 am »
From memory, it was a very pleasant walk of about 45 minutes from the car park to the Falls themselves,  and slightly less on the way back as it is predominantly downhill.

Well worth the walk in my opinion.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2012, 08:53:30 am »
It's an easy walk along a good path with a gentle ascent to the Falls.  They are called Rhaeadr Fawr  (big waterfall) and as you approach them look to the right and  you can see Rhaeadr Bach  (little waterfall).
Well worth a visit and there is a nice cafe in the village if you want to go there afterwards.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #133 on: August 09, 2012, 07:00:29 pm »
thanks for the info. will be making a visit soon , over the next five or six days if the weather keeps up. looks fab.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
Re: Questions about places
« Reply #134 on: December 10, 2012, 04:24:22 pm »
              While walking through Penmaenmawr recently I took a diversion into Parc Plas Mawr which I had never visited before and had a walk around. There is a large stone situated on the grassed area by the ruins of a house with a memorial plaque on which are inscribed about a dozen names, with ages ranging from 7 months up to about 38 years I think. I asked a couple of folk who were walking their dogs if there was any local history concerning this memorial but they were unable to help me. I was wondering if anyone who lives in the Pen area could tell me if the memorial is of any special local significance as there are no dates or details other than the names on the plaque?