Author Topic: Tourist news: developments, initiatives and strategies  (Read 63062 times)

Offline Kowalski

Re: Llandudno "A cesspit of depravity"
« Reply #180 on: August 10, 2012, 08:21:53 pm »
I like your flags  $good$

Thanks comrade.

It may interest some of you to know that the blog entry was nominated in the "2009 Plain English awards". I was up for "Best depiction of a small seaside town on the Welsh coast". Unfortunately I lost out to "Thoughts of Oscar".

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #181 on: August 10, 2012, 09:02:33 pm »
Fester wanted to know if you were named after Killer Kowalski, the American wrestler?

Offline Kowalski

« Reply #182 on: August 10, 2012, 09:36:57 pm »
No, I'm Kowalski the driver from Vanishing Point

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #183 on: August 10, 2012, 09:38:16 pm »
I have no idea what the blog was on about, but I know the name Kowalski from the excellent film
'Vanishing Point'
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #184 on: August 10, 2012, 09:40:31 pm »
No, I'm Kowalski the driver from Vanishing Point

You made a good recovery from driving a Dodge Challenger flat out into a bulldozer all those years ago!   ^*^0 ^*^0
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
How to make Llandudno an accessible Cruise Port.
« Reply #185 on: August 15, 2012, 09:21:48 am »
The new SeaWalk used last Saturday for the first time in Norway could be the answer?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2012/08/14/the-incredible-floating-cruise-dock-photos/

Offline Yorkie

Re: How to make Llandudno an accessible Cruise Port.
« Reply #186 on: August 15, 2012, 12:11:21 pm »
The new SeaWalk used last Saturday for the first time in Norway could be the answer?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2012/08/14/the-incredible-floating-cruise-dock-photos/

It is a great idea but all made easier by the relatively calm waters of a Norwegian Fjord.   Trying to dock against Llandudno Pier Head, in even a moderate sea, could be difficult.

Cruise and Maritime Ships have started using Liverpool and Fred Olsen is due to start there in Spring next year.  No doubt others will follow.   It will certainly be better than driving down to Dover or Southampton as we do now.  The economics of having another stop off so close to Liverpool (or even Holyhead) will probably govern any decision.
 &shake&
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #187 on: August 15, 2012, 01:34:46 pm »
Yorkie, the new SeaWalk offers an alternative to berthing at Llandudno Pier.

Only very small cruise ships will be able to berth at Llandudno Pier anyway, even when the repairs have been carried out.

It has already been stated the larger cruise ships will need to anchor in the bay with passengers tendered in but we both know that can be a problem with any ship being in port from 7am – 5pm and with our tides.

In choppy waters, the SeaWalk can be a more attractive alternative to tendering.

It is a motorised folding pier so I presume it gets folded away when not in use.

BTW, I wouldn’t get too carried away with Fred using Liverpool next year as I understand it is only the 40 year old ‘Boudicca’ using it.

Offline Yorkie

Re: Tourist news: developments, initiatives and strategies
« Reply #188 on: August 15, 2012, 02:02:28 pm »
In some way what you say is fine, but it is after all a Floating Pier (see pic) and I can just imagine all the old Codgers one finds on cruises marching down the walkway in anything but a calm sea - which we rarely get on our shores.  On the last few cruises we have been on there has been a plethora of wheelchairs, walking frames and other walking aids.  Many aged and infirm passengers seem to fill the cabins these days!

As for the Boudicca, she is still a fine ship, and at 40 is in the prime of her life, and a darn site better than some of the glitzy 3000 plus passenger cruise ships of today
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #189 on: August 15, 2012, 02:31:13 pm »
In that case, Yorkie, all those disabled passengers would surely much prefer to come ashore in their wheelchairs and electric scooters on that floating pier rather than climb into one of those tender boats?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #190 on: August 15, 2012, 02:34:50 pm »
Old Codgers?   Wheelchair and Zimmer frame users?

Thats because they are the only ones with any money my friends.

Take it from me, they are the generation who appreciate nice things and can afford them.
I owe my living to 'Old Codgers' ... and more power  them I say!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #191 on: August 15, 2012, 06:25:23 pm »
Hear Hear ! ;D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

Re: How to make Llandudno an accessible Cruise Port.
« Reply #192 on: August 15, 2012, 07:32:33 pm »
In that case, Yorkie, all those disabled passengers would surely much prefer to come ashore in their wheelchairs and electric scooters on that floating pier rather than climb into one of those tender boats?

Dead right, providing the darn thing isn't bouncing up and down!   _))*

Actually there are now very few ports where the passengers are tendered ashore, and those who can't manage stay aboard and are entertained with games or just relax.  Electric scooters are not used on board and I think that anyone in a wheelchair has to be accompanied by an able bodied person.

Also the floating pier has to be accessed down the gangway steps, I don't think it's as easy as it sounds.  Maybe as I get older, and a not so active, I will discover the problems first hand.    ZXZ

I am also going to check my Admiralty Charts as I think there could be an insufficient depth of water in Llandudno Bay for all but the smallest ships.
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #193 on: August 15, 2012, 07:36:17 pm »
   So THATS why I talk to myself all day. Mike

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #194 on: August 15, 2012, 10:43:12 pm »
Actually there are now very few ports where the passengers are tendered ashore, 

Yorkie, did you not know there are still over 70 tender ports in the World including seven in Alaska?

Would you like me to PM a list to you?