Author Topic: Tourist news: developments, initiatives and strategies  (Read 62800 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Coastal Hawks Project
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2011, 03:23:51 pm »
I was talking to Rob and Mike the other week and they were saying plans are moving along for the Coastal Hawks Project site in Bodlondeb.  I believe it's going to be an excellent tourist attraction for Conwy.  If the artists impression is anything to go by the site will attract people of all ages not just the kids "The medieval siege town" I can't wait to go.  They'll need help from the local community with painting and general jobs towards the completion and Rob has said he would like to get some of the kids in on the act too, I'll certainly help out.  Have a look on the website link below to see the services and attractions on offer everything from a walk round Bodlondeb woods with the birds of prey to Archery.  This is exactly what Conwy needs.  $walesflag$

http://212.67.202.207/~a-10peblig66/4/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=1&Itemid=50&367d20ebf4d2fb4e3b525daa87b042c1=e140c7c329703869f7cb0326526241e2

See below an artists impression of the site, with the tents to hold living history displays, local arts and crafte as well as entertainers.  We will also be offering themed weekends to include archery, siege tower building and many more attractions, never forgetting a wide array of birds of prey.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 05:25:59 pm by DaveR »
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
Re: Tourist news: developments, initiatives and strategies
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2011, 05:06:31 pm »
Just a quick mention about Cycling on the Prom. I was coming back from Somerset Street with the wife this afternoon and stopped to have a chat with the Promenade Inspector. After a couple of minutes he spotted two Lycra clad cyclists coming towards us at what I recon must have been well over 30 mph. He stepped out and asked them to slow down and what did he get. "F**K OFF you Stupid S**T" and they carried on at the same speed until they disappeared from sight. It’s irresponsible idiots like them that prove cyclists and pedestrians DO NOT MIX Bring back the No Cycling Prohibition on the prom before some unfortunate person is hurt by these inconsiderate Bast******
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2011, 08:47:34 pm »
This is terrible. I've always been a cyclist, supported them, been friends with many. But this attitude and language  makes my blood boil. Provided the prom Inspector was correct, which if your 30 mph is accurate he certainly was, the Council should get on to this, tell Mr Spilsbury for a start, and see if he can identify these two riders. And then tell them, if they want to ride on the prom (which they do) foul language thrown around is a sure way of loosing the privalidge

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2011, 09:01:25 pm »
I well remember a Promenade Inspector being told to f**k off by someone riding a cycle on the prom.  The difference was that the rider worked for the Council at the Theatre and used the prom to get to and from work!   He even threatened the Prom Inspector with violence if he was ever stopped again.

A fine example!     $angry$   :rage:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2011, 10:00:29 pm »
a broom handle through the front wheel works wonders!  WWW
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Trojan

« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2011, 10:09:19 pm »
a broom handle through the front wheel works wonders!  WWW

That did cross my mind also.  :laugh:

Offline cyclist

Re: Coastal Hawks Project
« Reply #111 on: July 04, 2011, 08:32:39 pm »
Was it Rob or mike that shouts abuse at a cyclist from their pick-up truck  P415RNF ?
Watch it on youtube watch?v=I92-KXL5ycw or search the registration.

Cheers
Cyclist

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #112 on: July 04, 2011, 09:06:26 pm »

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #113 on: July 04, 2011, 09:24:48 pm »
neither it was a woman?
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
The Seagull Issue
« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2011, 10:11:50 pm »
I have long said that the Seagull  ''problem'' in Llandudno / Conwy is much worse than I remember it being on the East Coast.

But, it seems that I was wrong,  see here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-14125924

What do Forum members think should be done about it?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: The Seagull Issue
« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2011, 10:26:30 pm »
There was also this case, where a man was blinded in one eye when he picked up a wild bird:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-14118494

At risk of stating the obvious....seagulls are wild birds and will attack you if you get too close. Never attempt to pick an injured one up unless you have a blanket or similar to cover it with first.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2011, 11:14:47 pm »
and don't go near the young fledgeling seagulls that are now to be seen all over the town.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2011, 11:24:14 pm »
Seagulls seem to pick their victims by watching them first, they look for those who are 'miles away' relaxing and have their guard down, essentially that describes 99% of a seaside resort's visitors. More warning signs are needed and perhaps more enforcement on not feeding them?  Leave the nice friendly pigeons to eat food though ;D  Strangely I remember regularly feeding the seagulls on the pier in the Sixties without any incidents!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #118 on: July 13, 2011, 08:24:33 am »
I too have fed the birds in the past...it was never  big deal.
But I think that it is now, because I have seen a spate of injuries to people recently.
Not just children either.

I am in favour, (for the first time in my life) of thinning the numbers of seagulls.
Not through cruel means, such as a cull.
Dave R informed me that in the past, the eggs of seagulls were pricked, to prevent them hatching.

This seems to be a much more civilised way of adddressing the issue, and should be done again.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #119 on: July 13, 2011, 09:54:05 am »
Beware of helping injured birds.........
A rather graphic description of an incident from the Sun, not for the fainthearted.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3691455/Seabird-pecks-mans-eye-out.html