Author Topic: Tourist news: developments, initiatives and strategies  (Read 61235 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Tourist news: developments, initiatives and strategies
« on: September 27, 2010, 08:16:53 pm »
Cycle lane along the Prom

I hav'ent seen this discussed in the forum. But I am sure most of you will be aware through letters etc in the local press that the local keen cyclists are trying hard for a dedicated cycle track along the front, and the Council have turned it down time and again.  I can see both sides in this argument, I have always been a keen cyclist, but I also like nice open proms, and I'm aware of safety issues.  But-----I have never seen this proposal put forward. I would be interested in forum members opinons, for or against. Its not an ideal secenario, but I think might make the best outcome in a difficult situation.

Imagine looking at the prom looking towards the Little Orme. Reading from left to right you see a wide, open pedestrian area, then a row of seats, then a low wall, then an area of variable width, either grass, flower beds or both, including the lighting standards, then a narrow pavement, then the main carriageway., Assuming that the Council are going to persist in allowing parking on both sides of the road, this carriageway is too narrow. Not by a lot, but an extra two feet would make a tremendos difference to traffic congestion.O.K. even one foot. How about this?  Prom,benches, wall as it is. Great cheers from the traditionalists.  Scrap the grass and flower beds. A shame, I know, but cannot be helped. Maybe move a lighting standard or two. Put the narrow pavement and parked cars on the grass area, cycle track where the parked cars are now, and an extra foot to the road.  Not ideal, I know, but a lot better than what weve got now.  Mike
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:47:34 am by Ian »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Cycle lane along the Prom
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 08:52:23 pm »
Mike! Lose the only bit of green space on the Promenade? No thank you!!  :o

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 09:31:25 pm »
I told you it wasent perfect.  But the situation as it is is not perfect either. And I dont see how the different aims of the cyclists and the walkers can be recconciled.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 09:32:27 pm »
Cyclists use the Promenade at present, I see them every day. What needs to change?

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 09:55:45 pm »
Oh dear, I said I could see both sides. I can only refer you to absolute thousands and thousands of words printed by a Mr Roy Spilsbury on the subject. In the Post, weekly news, pioneer you name it.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 10:12:51 pm »
He does seem a bit obsessed about it. Perhaps we should get him to do the quiz to see if he's autistic?   <:<:<:<

Yorkie

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 08:28:38 am »
I told you it wasent perfect.  But the situation as it is is not perfect either. And I dont see how the different aims of the cyclists and the walkers can be recconciled.

My opinion is that both cyclists and walkers should be able to enjoy the prom in their own individual ways.  To try to separate them with a cycle path would be a disaster, each being protective of "their own" space. :leer:

When I worked for the CCBC part of my duties were connected with the Prom and I always thought that the two factions operated well with each other without any help or hinderance from authority, even though there was a so called ban on cycling.

Most cyclists ride and act responsibly and the odd reckless rider will do as he wants whether there is a cycle lane or not. >>>

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Tourist news: developments, initiatives and strategies
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 03:21:21 pm »
New book out today-- Llandudno through time. An excellent collection of historic local photos and their modern counterparts.
Written by Christopher Draper and John Lawson- Reay
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 11:51:54 am by Ian »
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: New Book--Llandudno through time
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 07:52:20 pm »
Wasn't I looking at this one in Waterstones last week?  ??? It's difficult to keep track of all these books, because the titles are all so similar! I hope its not the one I was looking at, because some of the 'Now' photos were pretty poor quality.  :rage:

Offline Trojan

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 07:21:46 am »
How about a motorised scooter path as well?  L0L

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 09:40:06 am »
Probably was, but my neighbour told me that it was available yesterday.!

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 01:29:32 pm »
 I saw J.L.Reay in Mostyn St. earlier this year, with a camera on top of a long pole, taking photos of the buildings on the opposite side of the road. Maybe the cause of the poor photos?   :D
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 04:40:09 pm »
 :o *&(

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 04:44:34 pm »
That reminds me, what happened to Llandudno Historical Society, their website is dead?
http://www.llandudnohistoricalsociety.org.uk/

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 05:11:09 pm »
Cyclists use the Promenade at present, I see them every day. What needs to change?
No one likes change, I think cycle paths are a really good idea and the ones already in use up and down the coast are excellent for families with children.  They provide a safe route for cyclists.  Surely its better than riding on the roads and pavements. Saying that, I dont live in Town, so wouldn't have a clue how to resolve the problem faced with the Prom. 
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley