Author Topic: Tourist news: developments, initiatives and strategies  (Read 63067 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Falconry in the Three Towns
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2011, 11:11:37 am »
An excellent day on Conwy Quay today.  The Coastal Hawks drew a large crowd.  The Project is not just about deterring Gulls as you can see from the pictures.  It's also a fantastic tourist attraction.  With the Wizard and Jester entertaining the crowds the birds in the background, you can't get a better backdrop than the medieval town of Conwy.  I can't tell you how many kids I saw wearing medieval tabards and carrying swords and shields bought no doubt from the Knights Shop who also incidentally are working with The Coastal Hawk Project.  You can also get the kids involved with half hour sessions of sword fighting.  I'm tempted to have a go myself, many a time I've thought to myself "if only I could wield a sword properly, or even a piece of 4x2"  :twoface:  Joking aside it was a great day.  I've put photos of the day on this post and included one of Rob with a young Owl.  Ok the last photo was taken in the George it's thirsty work all this enjoying yourself.

Unfortunately I can't upload the pics at the mo, sorry

Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2011, 11:57:56 am »
These are the pics

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2011, 11:09:15 am »
Coastal Hawks - Help for Heroes Walk will be on the 4th June 2011 starting at Prestatyn at 8am and arriving in Conwy at 6pm

The Coastal Hawk team and the Knights shop in Conwy are taking part in a Three Castle Walk beginning at Prestatyn Castle then over to Conwy.  The group will be joined by the TA, Army, fire and rescue cadets and friends dressed in Medieval costumes, shields and swords, they will also be accompanied by a selection of the Birds of Prey.  The walk covers approximately 30 miles finishing at Conwy Quay where they will have a Party and an Auction.  All money raised from the Walk and Auction will be donated to Help the Heroes.
If there is anything you can do to help, such as giving items for the Auction or sponsorship for the event please get in touch with Kevin at:

kevinh4hwalk@hotmail.co.uk  or tel: Kev on  07766899837

please visit this sight and support help for heroes

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coastal-Hawks-Help-for-Heroes-Walk-4th-June-2011/180545355319342

Offline gail.hudson

« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2011, 11:31:21 am »
The coastal hawks team along with the knight shop in conwy will be doing a three castle walk from prestatyn castle to conwy finishing with a party on the quay the coastal hawks team will be joined by the TA, the army fire and rescue cadets and some friends they will also be dressed in medieval costume shield and swords also they will be accompanied by a selection of birds of prey the walk should be about 30 mile with all the money raised going to help for heroes from the walk and from the party on the quay also we will holding a auction but we still need help if the is any one that can help or would like to help please get in touch with me kevin at kevinh4hwalk@hotmail.co.uk
or on 07766899837 we are still look for things to auction or people to come to the quay in conwy on the day to make it a fun day for all
if you can help do

kevin bunn
Stupid Wrong - Vivid Right

Offline deganwy

Llandudno Promenade Webcam
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2011, 06:03:55 pm »
As a regular visitor to the town for 25 years I much appreciate the forum to keep in touch.
What would be popular (and commercially attractive?) I am sure would be a webcam showing the promenade and surroundings particularly if it was able to be controlled  by the viewer.They have such a system at Exmouth.
Looking forward to our July visit.  Cheerio

Offline Trojan

Re: Llandudno Promenade Webcam
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2011, 06:08:44 pm »
There's a fixed webcam on this website:

http://www.llandudno-weather.co.uk/

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2011, 12:50:24 pm »
I was talking to the team at Coastal Hawks last week on the Quay, they've done really well in raising money for the  Help the Heroes sponsored walk they're doing,  over a £1000 so far.  Keep it up lads, I'd like to join in but in all honesty 30 miles is pushing it a bit.  I truly don't think I'd manage it.  I'll be at the auction though and I'll sponsor them too.  If anyone has anything they would donate for the raffle or the auction PM me and I'll put you in contact with the team.  All proceeds going to Help the Heroes.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2011, 10:56:50 pm »
Good news, Oscar has mentioned the Hawk Project on his site.  Looks like he supports us too.  :D

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2011, 11:03:22 pm »
...But judging by all the anonymous comments, not many others seem to agree with us.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2011, 11:12:07 pm »
Yeah but to be honest anyone can make an ill informed comment

Anonymous said...
unless you have a 100 hawks covering every street in llandudno then it wont deal with the problem.

I mean that's complete rubbish.  I like the one about shooting the tourists though, that was funny  _))*

Offline Trojan

« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2011, 12:22:22 am »
He has eyes like a hawk that Oscar chap.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2011, 02:40:06 am »
Yeah but to be honest anyone can make an ill informed comment

Anonymous said...
unless you have a 100 hawks covering every street in llandudno then it wont deal with the problem.

I believe the hawks fly  :laugh: so therefore cover a greater distance than us 'walkers'.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2011, 05:20:00 am »
Saw this nice bird recently.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2011, 05:38:30 am »
When I lived in the Barbican in London the City of London employed and probably still does hawks to destroy pigeons and they were very successful! :o

I remember spending a week at RAF Lossiemouth,Scotland, in 1976 which was my first experience of seeing a falconry.

The birds of pray were used to keep wild birds away from the runways, minimizing the risk of birdstrikes - birds being sucked into the jet engines of the aircraft.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2011, 12:41:16 pm »
Story in the Pioneer about how Bob Blackwell has apparently saved the Hawks:
http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/102211/company-swoops-in-to-help-fund-hawks-project.aspx

Why it's illustrated with a photo of John 'I run Rhyl' Gizzi, I don't know?