Author Topic: Tourist news: developments, initiatives and strategies  (Read 61287 times)

Online Ian

• Administrator
Re: WiFi Hotspots
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2011, 10:38:27 am »
If you get your broadband via BT you can sign up for BT Fon.  In the Llandudno area, quite a few have.  In the map below, a blue square shows where you can log on for free...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Yorkie

Re: Build a bog
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2011, 11:23:25 am »
That sort of toilet arrangement is pretty common in many countries.  The Vatican still uses them, for instance.

Well, I suppose the Pope has to poop!    L0L

Yorkie

Re: Build a bog
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2011, 11:24:25 am »
Friend of mine once took her leg out of her trousers to use a 'footprint' toilet in France and promptly lost a shoe down it !! Don't ask why she took a leg out--the mind boggles ! ))* _))*

Sounds like it would be a good place to wear my kilt!     _))*

brumbob

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2011, 04:12:54 pm »
It says you have to pay to use McDonalds hotspot access in that link
but the McDonalds web site says it is free  ???

Offline Trojan

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2011, 04:19:23 pm »
It says you have to pay to use McDonalds hotspot access in that link
but the McDonalds web site says it is free  ???

Hmmm....Did you see Operator information which is not correct? Report errors to contact @ hotspot-locations.com.

I believe it is free.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Coastal Hawks Project
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2011, 11:35:26 am »
What are your thoughts on Falconry Services.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2011/03/30/councils-axe-bird-of-prey-seagull-deterrent-55578-28426435/

As you are probably aware Conwy and Denbighshire Councils have agreed that  Falconry Services in both North Wales areas are to be axed.  Not forgetting of course that both Councils have been for sometime in each others pockets utilizing the same initiatives and working together in many areas such as Licensing and Public Safety etc.  So a difference in opinion between said Councils was never going to be an issue.

"Public protection officers in Conwy and Denbighshire County Councils won’t use the Rhyl firm, claiming it is too costly and ineffective."

Phil Rafferty said ": “On that basis, and the fact that it is of little or no deterrent, we have decided not to pursue this further."

The scheme was originally instigated after  Mr Espley and Robert Davies from Rhyl, witnessed 37 seagull attacks in the town in an hour and a half.
I can't speak for Llandudno as I don't live there but maybe members on here can say if they noticed a decline in Seagull presence or attacks?

Last year Falconry Services patrolled the streets of Conwy and anyone who lives here will tell you that seagulls were deterred.  It's also a lot more humane as the Falcons do not kill seagulls they deter them from nesting.  Seagulls can cause untold damage to properties. Gulls can create problems by making a great deal of noise and because they are very territorial, this can result in aggressive behaviour towards you and your family - particularly during the breeding season if they're nesting on, or near your home. Businesses in the area suffer when patrons to their outside eating areas are attacked for food and it seems children are their prime targets. Anyone living in a coastal area will tell you of someone who has been attacked by Gulls, I have for one and so was my son, both incidents on Conwy Quay.

Here are a few sites for you to read on Birds of Prey and their function toward nuisance birds such as Gulls.

http://www.effectivebirdcontrol.co.uk/pestcontrol.html

http://www.premierwaste.com/pages/posts/falcons-on-the-landfill40.php

http://www.nbcbirdandpest.co.uk/Bird-Control.cfm

A friend is setting up a facebook page this week to highlight the public's views on the subject, I will post the link here as soon as it's up and running.  

Of course we could always challenge Phil Rafferty and his merry men (one in a pram) to walk from Upper Mostyn Street to Bog Island with a bag of Chips and an Ice Cream and see how many times they are attacked by the Seagulls.  
The next day I will go and do the same mission with Falconry Services across the road.  I Promise I will.

Then they can tell us again the initiative doesn't work!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 05:22:37 pm by DaveR »
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
Falconry in the Three Towns
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2011, 11:59:20 am »
When I lived in the Barbican in London the City of London employed and probably still does hawks to destroy pigeons and they were very successful! :o

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2011, 12:12:40 pm »
As a pigeon lover, its good news  D)  I'm no fan of falcons  $angry$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2011, 12:19:17 pm »
I've not heard of a single case of people being attacked by pigeons? It's the decline of Gulls we want to see and this initiative does seem to work.  :D

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2011, 12:29:53 pm »
If a service were in place to protect the public and tourists on our coasts and the Council decided not to utilize that service, given that it was started due to the fact 37 people were witnessed being attacked in an hour and a half in Rhyl last year..  Does this mean that next time your child was attacked in the street eating an ice cream, we could claim compensation from the Council?  I wonder  ?{}?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2011, 01:10:44 pm »
I've only ever seen these people in Rhyl and Conwy, never Llandudno. They should be permanently stationed outside Cafe Culture, as the gulls sit on the HSBC building opposite and swoop down the minute someone leaves their table with any food on it.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2011, 01:25:33 pm »
It's the same outside the Ham bone and the Take a Break I've witnessed this myself.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Falconry in the Three Towns
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2011, 05:16:30 pm »
I'm going to post some photos and more information on the Birds of Prey later on.  Should get some good pics with my new camera  ;)  I'm looking forward to meeting the Handlers too.  I'm quite excited  <:<:<:<

Offline kitered66

Re: Falconry in the Three Towns
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2011, 09:17:37 pm »
Having read the comments and opinions of forum members ,i would like as one of the two directors of the Coastal Hawks Project  who have been patrolling ,Rhyl/Conwy and for a limited time last summer Llandudno to invite any body to come and meet my self and my fantastic birds ,we are in Llandudno on Wednesday  20th April ,this and more visits to Llandudno is down to Jim Jones {cbcc tourism dept}who is employing the project to walk the streets of Llandudno and Conwy over the easter holiday .now as we know that the project does not work we will not be stopping seagulls from attacking any one,but please fell free to come and take your chances and have a chat  with us  $thanx$