Author Topic: Tourist news: developments, initiatives and strategies  (Read 62547 times)

Offline Rosy

Bog snorkelling and wife-carrying
« Reply #210 on: November 25, 2013, 09:40:18 am »
Bog snorkelling and wife-carrying!  :o ... fantastic!

Who would have thought? and a World Chapionship. Is this a big deal in the area?

Good on the Tourism Awards in Llandudno honouring the creator! $walesflag$ (I'm working on my husband to enter us for next year already ...!) D)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-25045217

Offline Kerris123

Dark tourism in Conwy?
« Reply #211 on: April 10, 2014, 04:52:38 pm »
I am a university student and for my dissertation i have decided to research whether or not there is a market for dark tourism within Conwy and if there is a potential for dark tourism to be included within the towns current tourism portfolio. This questionnaire will help towards categorising the type of dark tourists there are within the county, in order to determine what type of attraction could possibly be built, and also help towards the type of interpretation that would be needed. i would be very grateful if everyone can take a few minutes to fill it in for me, it would really help and I will really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance :)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KNVWZHN

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Dark tourism in Conwy?
« Reply #212 on: April 10, 2014, 05:43:56 pm »
So, what is dark tourism?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Kerris123

« Reply #213 on: April 10, 2014, 05:59:41 pm »
dark tourism is the visitation to sites that are established that have an association with death and disaster, some sites however, are accidentally linked to dark tourism, these being 'fun factories' which hold an entertainment factor, such as the London dungeons etc. sites that are purely dark tourism based are sites which are established to show death or disasters, like the concentration camps. although there is the argument of when dark tourism crosses into heritage, there is no evidence to suggest a timeline of how far back in history dark tourism becomes heritage, as many people visit such sites as they have heritage ties or interests.
has that cleared it up a bit for you?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #214 on: April 10, 2014, 07:04:59 pm »
im thick ,can you explain dark tourism please.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #215 on: April 10, 2014, 07:30:49 pm »
Dark tourism basically means morbid attractions like the London Dungeon.  I suppose possibly Plas Mawr would come under this category given it's back story and it's numerous reputed ghosts.  And the wooden Alice in Wonderland statues in Llandudno are pretty scary as well, especially the Alice outside the Nevill  :o.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #216 on: April 10, 2014, 07:38:14 pm »
I asked this question in a separate thread, I thought it might be visitors to see the lack of Xmas lights!  :laugh:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #217 on: April 10, 2014, 07:39:59 pm »
Yes, perhaps Rhyl might have more in that department!  :twoface:

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #218 on: April 10, 2014, 07:48:12 pm »
Conwy already has a ghost tour of the town and Plas Mawr......apparently it's very popular, similar to the one you get in York  $good$
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #219 on: April 11, 2014, 06:44:08 am »
omg let me get the extravaganza out of the way b4 i start on xmas lights.lol

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Tourist news: developments, initiatives and strategies
« Reply #220 on: April 11, 2014, 08:05:53 am »
 :laugh:

Offline Kerris123

« Reply #221 on: April 11, 2014, 10:54:40 am »
I agree, those attractions are popular, and conwy does attract many people every year. However it does not have many attractions that are inside, and of course, with the great british weather thats what some tourists need. I was thinking along the lines of a new attraction that was for all the family, which can be tailored by age so that everyone can enjoy. A bit like the london dungeons, that is if my research comes back and backs up my theory of the type of tourists that visit :)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #222 on: April 11, 2014, 02:40:24 pm »
Rhyl used to have dungeons and the eyesore on the pier was one for a time.

When I was a kid I thought they were both BRILLIANT  $good$

Offline Kerris123

« Reply #223 on: April 12, 2014, 09:17:33 am »
If you havent already, please could you just take 5 minutes, not even that! To fill out my survey, theres only 8 questions in which are multiple choice, i reslly need as many respones as i can get. Thanks :)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #224 on: April 12, 2014, 11:48:06 pm »
If you havent already, please could you just take 5 minutes, not even that! To fill out my survey, theres only 8 questions in which are multiple choice, i reslly need as many respones as i can get. Thanks :)

Done it Kerris,
But I can't help wondering what kind of twisted individual would admit to being a 'black' tourist in question 2,  given the criteria you have outlined.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -