Author Topic: Tourist news: developments, initiatives and strategies  (Read 63081 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Tourist news: developments, initiatives and strategies
« Reply #195 on: August 16, 2012, 11:42:23 am »
It is not so much a matter of how many tender ports there are in the World, it is more a matter of how many would be suitable for such a contraption, and would the installation of such a facility be a viable commercial proposition.

Thanks for the offer of a list but I am sure that should I require such a document I can easily find it on the Internet.

As a rider, the average draft of the modern cruise liner is approximately 26 feet, some more.   Clear water would also be required underneath the keel and a suitable minimum depth would need to be available at all states of the tide.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
How to make Llandudno an accessible Cruise Port
« Reply #196 on: August 16, 2012, 02:48:09 pm »
I am well aware of that fact, Yorkie.

So all in all I think that on most occasions tendering from ships anchored half a mile off the North Shore will for the most part be quite feasible.

Don’t forget the tide.

I accept what you are now saying about tender ports but that isn't exactly what you said before is it?  ;)

Anyway, we do have one member on here that has already used one of the tender ports in Alaska and his/her experience was very positive.

Incidentally I have been tendered ashore from a cruise liner off the coast of Alaska so I don't think Llandudno will pose too much of a problem. 

Offline Yorkie

Re: How to make Llandudno an accessible Cruise Port
« Reply #197 on: August 16, 2012, 03:48:53 pm »
I am well aware of that fact, Yorkie.

I accept what you are now saying about tender ports but that isn't exactly what you said before is it?  ;)
Anyway, we do have one member on here that has already used one of the tender ports in Alaska and his/her experience was very positive.

Incidentally I have been tendered ashore from a cruise liner off the coast of Alaska so I don't think Llandudno will pose too much of a problem. 

It's not so much what one says - it is the way that one says it!   Thank goodness Judith has had a good experience in some of the deepest seas of the Northern Hemisphere.  I am also a regular Cruiser and an experienced boat owner, but I am still convinced that  for more than one reason Llandudno is unsuitable as a Cruise Liner port of call.  However, we can wait and see if anything develops.  My goodness the Town needs something.

I went through Colwyn Bay this afternoon and am amazed at all the dosh that seems to have been spent there - do CCBC think Llandudno is on a different Planet to CB?
 ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #198 on: August 17, 2012, 07:40:08 pm »
A short extract from Wikipedia on Llandudno Lifeboat and why it's there:

"The Great Orme with its shallow waters, strong tides, rocky coastline and often strong winds, claimed many ships and lives. Because of the weather and tidal conditions, plus the depths of water, vicious waves can quickly build up around the Orme and Liverpool Bay."

I think that sums up the situation quite well.   ZXZ
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Alice Day and Upcoming Alice Developments in Llandudno
« Reply #199 on: August 17, 2012, 09:34:49 pm »
Ian Turner reports that the Alice Reading Chair in Happy Valley has been damaged by vandals.  :(

Offline Varanus

Re: Coastal Hawks Project
« Reply #200 on: October 24, 2012, 02:44:56 pm »
Coastal Hawks have been given the go ahead to build the Raptors and Raiders Visitors centre on the site of the former Butterfly Jungle in Bodlondeb Conwy.  Well done to all those involved I reckon it will make a fantastic tourist attraction  $walesflag$

The birds are great, and I'm sure it will be a great attraction. But with the insistence that the hawks do frighten off nesting gulls (whatever the Councils say), why is this development being placed right next to a Local Nature Reserve and a Biodiversity Area? Won't they scare off nesting birds close by? Or do they only have an effect on birds that like chips and ice cream? Hope they don't affect the herons, curlews and so on that we see on the estuary which is also very close by.

Offline Yorkie

Re: Coastal Hawks Project
« Reply #201 on: October 24, 2012, 04:37:37 pm »

The birds are great, and I'm sure it will be a great attraction. But with the insistence that the hawks do frighten off nesting gulls (whatever the Councils say), why is this development being placed right next to a Local Nature Reserve and a Biodiversity Area? Won't they scare off nesting birds close by? Or do they only have an effect on birds that like chips and ice cream? Hope they don't affect the herons, curlews and so on that we see on the estuary which is also very close by.

Just another brilliantly stupid decision from a Council of incompetents!     >>>
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Llandudno "A cesspit of depravity"
« Reply #202 on: November 28, 2012, 11:56:51 pm »
I've had a great day today.

Because I work 7 days a week from 1st March to 31st October, its great to have a lie in bed.
Today I got out of of bed at 10.30 am, this may seem late to some, but yesterday.... I didn't get out of bed... at all!
Can you tell that Mrs Fester is working away?

Now, after visiting several Llandudno hostelries with Dave R,  ZXZ ZXZ
I arrive home to find that I have an email from one Mbekwe Victor Sudoku, who informs me that I have won 5 million British Pounds in the lottery that he is the Chairman of!
I don't even recall buying a ticket for it, but hey ho.

I have immediately sent him the bank details he needs to process the transaction, and imagine Mrs Fester's smiling face when I tell her that it doesn't matter about the state of of the house... we are rich beyond our wildest dreams!

Happy Days!   <:<:<:<

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #203 on: November 29, 2012, 07:24:15 am »
Congratulations, Fester!  You must be so proud!  I've had some experience with these things, myself, so I'd be happy to help you sort the details out.  We can do it via email, but with it being a foreign lottery you sometimes have to pay a registration fee, which I'll happily arrange for you, if you send me your bank details, witnessed and signed power of attorney so on.  Then all you'll have to do is sit back and wait for the cheque!  Couldn't be easier. Well done again!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #204 on: November 29, 2012, 08:44:26 am »
 :o :o :o
 ;D ;D ;D
 _))* _))* _))*
So it will be drinks all round next week?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #205 on: November 29, 2012, 08:58:12 am »
I've had a great day today.

I arrive home to find that I have an email from one Mbekwe Victor Sudoku, who informs me that I have won 5 million British Pounds in the lottery that he is the Chairman of!
... we are rich beyond our wildest dreams!

With a name like Sudoku, it seems like your numbers have come up at last!   Just make sure that you do not have any single number repeated in the same line or group.    ££$
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #206 on: November 29, 2012, 10:16:46 am »
Hmm, in the cold light of day.... Mr Sudoku just doesn't add up.  :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Queens area in Rhyl
« Reply #207 on: September 23, 2013, 09:10:20 pm »
  Ive just been looking at "We love old Rhyl" a first class thread on Facebook, and someone, I didn't note the name but I can go back to it, states that he has read in the Three Towns Forum that the Queens area in Rhyl is to be regenerated.
  Is he writing about THIS three towns forum, and if so has anyone suggested this? I've certainly not read it, nor can I find anything looking back. In any case, what interest is there in anything like this in the three towns area?
   Rhyl has enough troubles thank you without someone like this sticking their nose in.
   Not saying that it might not be a good idea, but who the hell is he and why bring TTF into it.  Mike

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Queens area in Rhyl
« Reply #208 on: September 23, 2013, 09:19:08 pm »
I've mentioned on Flickr in the past that Denbigshire County Council want to demolish the entire Queens block and rebuild it as a modern shopping centre. It's mentioned in the regeneration documents on their website.

The only mention of the Queens Buildings is here:
http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,504.msg27276.html#msg27276

Offline romanjohn

« Reply #209 on: September 24, 2013, 11:56:09 pm »
Hi ormegolf it was me that wrote it. I was looking at the We love old Rhyl after getting back from the hospice visting my mum here in Portsmouth what intriged  me   was   was canals under the ballroom i thought what a wonderful place to go and see and then lottery grants ect. Then i rememberd seeing some pictures that dave had taken here on    TTF. My wifes family live in Rhyl they love the place they get sick and tired of all the bad press the town gets  All the best romanjohn