Author Topic: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno  (Read 137511 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno
« Reply #495 on: April 27, 2016, 10:19:02 am »
The Sherpa was a good idea at the outset, but it needs to be replaced by an all-electric vehicle. Particularly in the route it follows the vehicle could use its batteries for the ascents and recharge during the descents.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #496 on: April 27, 2016, 01:24:15 pm »
The Snowdon Sherpa bus service is a good way of getting around the area without a car but perhaps requires a little more effort than a lot of visitors are prepared to make.

Then provide large car parks for the visitors who you want to use the Sherpa buses to leave their cars in. You try getting to Llanberis by public transport, then you might just have some sympathy with the visitors who come from all over to enjoy the National Park which is funded by their taxes.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #497 on: April 27, 2016, 03:50:26 pm »
The Snowdon Sherpa bus service is a good way of getting around the area without a car but perhaps requires a little more effort than a lot of visitors are prepared to make.

Then provide large car parks for the visitors who you want to use the Sherpa buses to leave their cars in. You try getting to Llanberis by public transport, then you might just have some sympathy with the visitors who come from all over to enjoy the National Park which is funded by their taxes.

I've travelled by bus from Llandudno to Llanberis via Caernarfon a couple of years ago - wasnt difficult really? Have you made the trip by bus?

Offline Blongb

« Reply #498 on: April 28, 2016, 07:26:25 pm »

I've travelled by bus from Llandudno to Llanberis via Caernarfon a couple of years ago - wasnt difficult really? Have you made the trip by bus?

Yes Dave I have and do use the Bus service, on a very regular basis. Your right of course, it isn't difficult, except if you expect the present bus service to cater for the needs of the thousands of daily visitors to Snowdonia. 1½ hours for the ride to Caernarfon followed by an 1 hour trip to Llamberis, never mind the waiting time between Buses in Bangor and Caernarfon, then the same for the return journey, that's a lot of time to waist out of your day out, when a direct return car journey will take less than 1½ hours. Very idealistic reasoning but the infrastructure just isn't there to support your argument.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #499 on: April 28, 2016, 08:57:40 pm »
Blongb - do you think you might be exaggerating a trifle. 1 and a half hours Bangor to Caernarfon? What did you do in Bangor, visit to a cafe? An hour Caernarfon to llanberis. I must admit I've never done it by bus but really there must be some mistake here. Don't say there was a traffic accident or something, because that would have held up cars as well. Or is there confusion between single and return journeys?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #500 on: April 29, 2016, 09:45:26 am »
I couldn't remember how long it took me to do the journey, so I tried the planner at Traveline Cymru. It suggested I go on the X1 down to Betws Y Coed, then catch the S2 Sherpa to Llanberis, a total journey time (including waiting) of 1hr42m.

I do agree that a lot more could be done to provide a more attractive bus service around Snowdonia, in order to tempt people out of their cars.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #501 on: April 29, 2016, 10:14:24 am »
Although this debate is destined to run and run some facts are inescapable. Using any form of public transport in the UK is normally much more inconvenient than using your car.  Part of this is down to the fact that public transport, despite its name, is largely in private ownership. In the places around the world where public transport works well it's almost always electrically powered, runs vehicles very frequently and adheres to a strict timetable. Private companies generally want the most for the least expenditure, and until forced to do so won't invest in new technology such as electric power units.  An excellent example of this is the Conwy valley train service. While the enthusiast-run Ffestiniog operators are proclaiming their investment in observation coaches, which would be the perfect fit for the Conwy Valley line, Arriva are making no attempts to change and thus squandering a huge opportunity.

I've long held that a circular monorail loop, going through Llanberis, Caernarfon, Bangor and Llandudno with electrically powered vehicles running every 30 minutes would make a lot of money, although the initial investment would be very high. The national park would find it difficult to refuse permission for a clean form of transport whose footprint would be far smaller than a train line and which would effectively offer car users a sensible and efficient alternative to driving. Strategically placed car parks could be developed at station sites around the loop and complemented by a levy imposed on those who insisted on driving.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Blongb

« Reply #502 on: April 29, 2016, 03:23:53 pm »
Blongb - do you think you might be exaggerating a trifle. 1 and a half hours Bangor to Caernarfon? What did you do in Bangor, visit to a cafe? An hour Caernarfon to llanberis. I must admit I've never done it by bus but really there must be some mistake here. Don't say there was a traffic accident or something, because that would have held up cars as well. Or is there confusion between single and return journeys?

You missed the point Mike, the journey was started from Llandudno not Bangor and that does take 1½hrs one way, on a good day.

Offline Blongb

« Reply #503 on: April 29, 2016, 04:06:29 pm »
And for Ian;  my OH and I were sitting in that very carriage just 2 weeks ago. The X1 from Llandudno to Blaenau Ffestiniog. Then the Train 1st class down to Porthmadog, a quick lunch in Jenny's. After the pit stop we used the S97 Sherpa Bus through Beddgelert and on to Pen-y-pass. There was a 50 minute wait for the S2 to take us down to Betws y Coed and as we pulled into the bus stop the X1 we were hopping to catch pulled out without us. Fortunately we were able to catch the 15:36 Conwy Valley Line Train back up to Llandudno instead.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #504 on: April 30, 2016, 10:18:04 pm »
Hello again Blongb, I didn't miss the point. I just made a mistake in incorrectly quoting you "Bangor to Caernarfon." I should of course typed "Llandudno to Caernarfon." Sorry about that obvious mistake. But I stand by what I wrote, no missed points

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Obstacles to Tourism in North Wales
« Reply #505 on: August 16, 2016, 11:33:58 am »
Calls grow to protect tourism amid shrinking budgets.

Senior figures in the tourism industry have said north Wales needs to improve the basics it offers visitors if it wants them to return.
They have claimed dirty streets, poor amenities and local authority spending cuts could affect business.
Hoteliers and industry representatives insist facilities should not suffer even if "money is tight".
But local councils in region say they are doing their best with limited budgets.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-37087440

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #506 on: August 16, 2016, 11:40:40 am »

Senior figures in the tourism industry have said north Wales needs to improve the basics it offers visitors if it wants them to return.
They have claimed dirty streets, poor amenities and local authority spending cuts could affect business.
Hoteliers and industry representatives insist facilities should not suffer even if "money is tight".
But local councils in region say they are doing their best with limited budgets.

That's strange Steve?
Whenever I point out that spending is tight and tourism isn't as buoyant as it was, the Tourist people tend to issue articles that prove me wrong.
Is a bit or realism starting to creep in?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #507 on: August 16, 2016, 01:14:49 pm »
It was heaving today - the town and the Orme, anyway. But decent toilets are essential.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #508 on: August 16, 2016, 02:02:50 pm »

That's strange Steve?
Whenever I point out that spending is tight and tourism isn't as buoyant as it was, the Tourist people tend to issue articles that prove me wrong.

Is a bit or realism starting to creep in?

"Dirty streets" Only one thing for out the litter gestapo need to INCREASE their fines  :twoface: :twoface:

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #509 on: August 16, 2016, 02:04:39 pm »
I agree with the need for more public toilets.

Also, yesterday, the weather was glorious well into the evening and I could not help notice that the deck chairs had to be returned by 4.30pm.