Author Topic: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno  (Read 137579 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno
« Reply #405 on: September 12, 2014, 06:46:52 pm »
Hi M.E.
"As I say though I never see them anywhere, although that could be because I don't go to Llandudno that often these days!"

You do not see them, because they are not in uniform, as I think they should be, more of a deterrent, and less impact on tourism.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #406 on: September 12, 2014, 06:56:15 pm »
No uniform? Like CID!? No deterrent factor then, just out to get cash!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #407 on: September 12, 2014, 07:08:22 pm »
Just been thinking, if they do not have a uniform, what is to stop anyone setting up in business as a fake litter warden, with fake id, fake notebook etc? Just a thought!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #408 on: September 12, 2014, 07:10:11 pm »
No uniform? Like CID!? No deterrent factor then, just out to get cash!

I'm fairly certain that when they started they had complete uniforms, but had to reduce their appearance as people caught complained they were masquerading as the Police 

:Sisyphus:
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #409 on: September 12, 2014, 07:13:32 pm »
Yes - I'm right:

"The uniformed presence of enforcement officers assists in providing public reassurance. Officers can be clearly identified by their uniform and are equipped with body worn video cameras that record the interaction with offenders."

CCBC 2012

But people objected to being caught, so they were forced to change...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #410 on: September 12, 2014, 07:15:58 pm »
Quite a bit more on the website:

"Neither is it a requirement that signs are in place informing you that it is an offence to drop litter.

If you drop litter it's a crime - saying you 'didn't realise you'd littered' will not be accepted as an excuse. Everyone has a responsibility to keep Conwy a clean and safe area to live, work and visit."

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #411 on: September 12, 2014, 07:19:13 pm »
And more...

"Cllr Philip Evans, Conwy’s Cabinet Member for Regulation said: “It is everyone’s responsibility to keep Conwy a clean and attractive place to live, work and visit.

“Littering is not acceptable - put your litter in a bin or take it home with you.”

Dog fouling is one of the main priorities which has been highlighted by the residents of Conwy county.”

Cllr Mike Priestley, Conwy’s Cabinet Member for Environment said: “Be warned - if you drop cigarette stubs, chewing gum, litter or you don’t pick up after your dog you can expect a tap on the shoulder and a £75 fine.”

Enforcement is mainly concentrated on the towns of Colwyn Bay and Llandudno and involves uniformed officers stationed full-time to check for any offences regarding environmental crime.

Body cameras are worn to review and manage the conduct of enforcement officers and to record video and audio evidence.

They are switched on when interacting with a person that has committed the offence, once that person has been informed that they will be filmed.

Out of the tickets issued 954 were for littering, three for dog fouling and 12 were for dog control issues.

A total of 65 per cent of fixed penalty notices issues are paid without further intervention, whilst a percentage of the remaining 35 per cent are listed before the court."

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #412 on: September 12, 2014, 08:50:54 pm »
   I don't really know if this is of any interest, but the statistic mentioned by Ian from the CBC report, 300 plus litter droppers to one dog fouler.
  This MUST depend on the area patrolled by the observers. O.K. it could well be correct for Mostyn Street. But get a bit more out of the town centre---say Happy Valley. Possibly 200 litter bugs and a 100 dog fowlers.
West Shore---anybodys guess, maybe 50/50. But dog walking areas with no eating facilities around? Just watch where you are walking.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #413 on: September 12, 2014, 09:01:05 pm »
Ref. Ian

"Body cameras are worn to review and manage the conduct of enforcement officers and to record video and audio evidence.
They are switched on when interacting with a person that has committed the offence, once that person has been informed that they will be filmed."

I'd heard they do not film the incident,  as Ian has found, when they stop you.!!!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #414 on: September 12, 2014, 10:01:44 pm »
The Officers on the YouTube clip in Liverpool, looked very official and were clearly marked with Environmental Enforecement logos on the uniforms.   If I was approached by them, I would realise I was in the presence of officialdom, they were filming all incidents and I would simply say 'fair cop' ..... they hated being filmed though, and reacted ridiculously to it.

The 'Officers' in Llandudno look NOTHING like that, they wear unmarked, and scruffy black fleeces.  They look for all the world like unemployed lads hanging around town, loitering on corners and up to no good.   Or at best, fairground ride operators.
I can confirm that they HAVE NO CAMERAS, so how they propose to make convictions stick is anyone's guess.

CCBC might have the right idea,  but completely the WRONG way of executing it.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

« Reply #415 on: September 13, 2014, 02:42:48 pm »
Thought just went through my mind.....Obstacles to Tourism...........Contradiction in terms.

LITTER,DOG MUCK,FAG ENDS.............................LLANDUDNO'S LITTER WARDEN'S              WWW

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #416 on: September 17, 2014, 05:11:41 pm »
The Litter Wombles job description though is quite clearly to 'catch people'

, then you do need solid evidence, and not simply anecdotal stories.

I think the issue of whether this is scaring off holidaymakers is totally unknown, .

http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/133135/woman-fined-75-for-littering-after-binning-cigarette-butt-in-conwy.aspx

"I can’t say I’d be in a hurry to recommend Conwy as a place to visit if things like this can happen to you there"

That will do I think

Offline SteveH

« Reply #417 on: September 17, 2014, 05:14:54 pm »
"On Tuesday a young mother was given a £75 fixed penalty notice for throwing bread to the ducks in her local park.
According to the report, a warden approached Vanessa Kelly and her 17-month-old son Harry, and issued them with the FPN for littering."  (Sandwell Council)      (case and fine dropped later)
These new signs appearing in Llandudno......Does this come under the wardens jurisdiction?
In case it cannot be read, it says at the bottom, section 87 env. pro. act 1990  £2.500 fine for littering including foodstuffs.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #418 on: September 17, 2014, 05:17:24 pm »
If the Seagulls swoop down and guzzle it then surely that isn't littering!!!  L0L

Offline SteveH

« Reply #419 on: September 17, 2014, 05:44:33 pm »
If the Seagulls swoop down and guzzle it then surely that isn't littering!!!

The way it's going, you could be fined, (I think), and a lot of people are against feeding them anyway, but the most likely offender is going to be a tourist, part of their holiday!...with the usual result, are they going to come back? Below is an extract from the piece you found ..

“I just burst into tears because I was totally embarrassed, humiliated and completely bewildered as to how I could have been accused of something I did not do.”
Miss Graham was in the town with 30 fellow students from the University of Glasgow, and said her ordeal “ruined” her visit to Wales.
She added: “The implication that I would visit Wales and behave in this disrespectful manner has completely ruined my visit and I can’t say I’d be in a hurry to recommend Conwy as a place to visit if things like this can happen to you there.”

After she sent a detailed appeal to Conwy Council, the authority withdrew the fine and apologised.

A spokesperson said: “If someone disagrees that they have committed an offence or feel that it was unreasonable for us, or someone authorised by us, to issue them with a Fixed Penalty Notice then we ask that they send an appeal in writing to Regulatory Services.

So is that 31 tourists not coming back?