Author Topic: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno  (Read 137582 times)

Offline A.L.N. (a local nobody)

Re: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno
« Reply #225 on: June 17, 2014, 09:18:18 am »
Similarly the high grass on the Black Cat A55 roundabout, whe exiting from Colwyn Bay, means you cannot see low cars coming from the right.

indeed.  But interestingly hedges on roundabouts are often used to impede visibility so as to slow down cars on their approach.

Unfortunately they also cause serious accidents when idiots don't slowdown thats why they need cutting.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #226 on: June 17, 2014, 12:53:53 pm »
H A HA i love the size of DaveR;s weed next to the floral clock,i think someone has been feeding it.The grass on the West Shore is horendous yet no worrys whatsoever,filthy town will be the message from tourists,shower CCBC
I saw CCBC Gardeners (an endangered species) working today at Combermere Gardens in Rhos and by the 'Welcome To Llandudno' sign at top of Penrhyn Hill.

Efforts to entice them into Llandudno itself have so far proved unsuccessful.  :laugh:

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #227 on: June 17, 2014, 02:50:54 pm »
Unfortunately they also cause serious accidents when idiots don't slowdown thats why they need cutting.

But it can be argued 'idiots' will cause accidents, anyway. It's far from clear cut.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #228 on: June 17, 2014, 03:29:40 pm »
I saw CCBC Gardeners (an endangered species) working today at Combermere Gardens in Rhos and by the 'Welcome To Llandudno' sign at top of Penrhyn Hill.

Efforts to entice them into Llandudno itself have so far proved unsuccessful.  :laugh:

Your comments made me laugh DaveR but at the same time I am sorry that they are true.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 03:41:25 pm by Ian »

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #229 on: June 17, 2014, 04:56:16 pm »
H A HA i love the size of DaveR;s weed next to the floral clock,i think someone has been feeding it.

The floral clock received appropriate attention this afternoon.

I hope they remember to move the clock forward by 5 minutes before they leave.

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #230 on: June 17, 2014, 05:38:08 pm »
H A HA i love the size of DaveR;s weed next to the floral clock,i think someone has been feeding it.

The floral clock received appropriate attention this afternoon.

I hope they remember to move the clock forward by 5 minutes before they leave.
Thing is rarely telling the right time. Should stop it altogether, at least then it would be right twice a day!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #231 on: June 17, 2014, 06:42:57 pm »
I saw that it had been tidied up a little. Can't say that it deserves the title of 'Floral" Clock though...

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #232 on: June 17, 2014, 09:23:04 pm »
Soilal clock, grassal clock weedal clock? Take your pick!  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #233 on: June 17, 2014, 10:06:19 pm »
I did e-mail one county councillor last nite about DaveR;s weed,looks like it did the trick.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #234 on: June 17, 2014, 11:48:04 pm »
The analogy is flawed. When you shop in Asda you're paying for specific items you need and will use. With communities, however, there are many things for which you must pay that you will never use nor want, but to which you must contribute through council tax. This is called democracy.

I've always thought Council Tax was misnamed; it implies you're being taxed simply for choosing to live in a particular area when in fact it's simply a contribution towards the running costs of that community. And it is only a contribution: much of the CCBC finance comes through the RSG and formula grant from central government.

Ian, I rather think my analogy is entirely accurate.
Part of the council tax is a direct payment towards the Parks and Gardening Budget, which I pay in the knowledge that CCBC are now obliged to keep the grass verges relatively tidy.
I do realise that I am also required to contribute to some services that I might never use, but that as you say, is democracy.
I think my old bug-bear the Llandudno Swimming Centre would come into that category for many people.

I simply object to paying for things that I am entitled to, that are then either not provided, or are done to a poor standard.

In a nutshell, the Council Tax bill increases every year, whilst the services delivered for it continually deteriorate.
bear in mind also that there are NUMEROUS Council officials on more than £100,000 per year.   Value for money?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #235 on: June 18, 2014, 08:36:25 am »
In a nutshell, the Council Tax bill increases every year, whilst the services delivered for it continually deteriorate.

That does appear to be true in some respects, but from the information CCBC provides it's difficult to see what impact the cuts have made over the past six years.

bear in mind also that there are NUMEROUS Council officials on more than £100,000 per year.   Value for money?

And there we agree, and all this was forecast not that long ago when the plans to create CCBC were advanced, and many astute observers at the time pointed out that 'jobs for the boys' would become the order of the day. That happened - in spades - and now, of course, the current plan is to revert to more-or-less what existed before.

Traditionally, councils seem to pay their workers more than the average wage and there appear to be few - if any - assessments as to how the excessive salaries of these highly paid individuals are justified by their performance. But, as I've said before, I believe there's a lot wrong with the current system, some of which at least could be addressed by making council service mandatory. Bringing in true democracy, where the council tax payers could vote out unpopular measures and lazy councillors, would be a hugely popular innovation, but that's never going to happen because our elected 'servants' are too terrified of the possible outcomes.

Back to the Council tax issues, however, and from a quick glance at the CCBC website it's as clear as mud:

[smg id=3273]

The pie chart provides a tiny overview, lacking in details, but the sectional expenditure chart is a little more detailed:

[smg id=3275]

What's more interesting is the origin of most of the money:

[smg id=3274]

so the total expenditure by the council is £210m, of which the lowly taxpayers contribute 21.4%. From the pie chart above, we know that C,E and P get a mere 11% overall, which equates to about 2.2% of the council tax payer's contribution and exactly what proportion of the 11% is set aside for cutting grass verges isn't shown, but a rough guess would be about 0.002%, so it's pretty clear that the council's priorities are not verging on the verges.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #236 on: June 18, 2014, 08:40:34 am »
3 more images that I can't see!  :(

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #237 on: June 18, 2014, 08:47:17 am »
ME: just an idea, but can you see this image? If you can, then I know what the problem is.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #238 on: June 18, 2014, 10:19:02 am »
Yes Ian, no problem!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #239 on: June 18, 2014, 10:35:09 am »
so the total expenditure by the council is £210m, of which the lowly taxpayers contribute 21.4%.
In reality, of course, the Revenue Support Grant element is paid for by taxpayers (albeit not solely in Conwy County) as well, making our contribution around 80% of expenditure.