Author Topic: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno  (Read 137568 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2013, 01:13:13 pm »
After alot of correspondence with police, council and other parties on behalf of businesses and Charity Shops we have been told by the police inspector that the only person who can call off any Demo is the Home Secretary.

No one knows how many people will be involved, or where the demo is to be held within the town. The only info which has come our way is that no road closures have been applied for. This was not in writing, but by word of mouth from someone on the Council, so whether it was placatory or true I wouldn't like to say.

Our 'Demo folder ' of E-Mails is now topping 40.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2013, 11:55:26 pm »
My brother-in-law is a police officer with the mounted division.
He and his colleagues get sent to all the major disturbances, football match flash-points etc, and they are well trained to deal with such events.
He has been present at all previous EDL and counter demonstrations, in the North of England and elsewhere.
They use officers to infiltrate these groups, they have 'spotters' to wheedle the ring-leaders out and many other tactics at their disposal.

But he tells me that no back up has been requested or suggested for the Llandudno event, and that quite often these events are a damp squib.
If it isn't a damp squib, then I suggest that the NW Police very quickly meet to ensure that they do have the correct level of resource to contain such a potentially volatile event.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Linda

« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2013, 11:59:25 pm »
Pretty worrying time for all, even though I dont live in Llandudno my niece is to attend a Wedding at the main church on mostyn street on that day. Its really not fair for the whole wedding party as well, all that planning then wondering if there will be any problems. I feel for everyone concerned.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2013, 12:00:15 pm »
My OH heard yesterday where the demo is beginning and where it is going, so someone either knows or is making it up. If I can get this confirmed I will post same, but not until.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2013, 12:28:11 pm »
I believe its finishing at the Cenotaph. Probably starting down by the Theatre. Does that tally with what you've heard?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2013, 12:31:10 pm »
If it isn't a damp squib, then I suggest that the NW Police very quickly meet to ensure that they do have the correct level of resource to contain such a potentially volatile event.
I'm suggesting this sort of response:

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2013, 02:36:11 pm »
I believe its finishing at the Cenotaph. Probably starting down by the Theatre. Does that tally with what you've heard?

More or less.

Have you heard the rumour about certain businesses boarding over windows? Or is that another red herring?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2013, 04:26:01 pm »
My gut feel is that it will be an enormous damp squib, with maybe 30 people on either side at most.

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2013, 04:36:17 pm »
I agree.  The only snag would be if the weather was like this. All the major riots in the UK have taken place in heat waves or hot conditions.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2013, 05:58:35 pm »
OMG It's being so cheerful that keeps you going !

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2013, 06:14:20 pm »
 WWW WWW WWW
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2013, 07:12:43 pm »
A user on Oscar's blog called 'Red Flag' has published this useful analysis of the situation:

Why Llandudno? Basically the main group - English Defence League (EDL) has been pressuring the smaller groups in Wales and Scotland to pull their fingers out while the murder of Dmr Rigby and the 'grooming cases are fresh in the public's minds. The EDLare p*ssed off with having to provide the bulk of attendees at non-England events. So the Welsh Defence League (WDL) has made a few dismal attempts in South Wales and the NWAGC has being doing likewise in the past couple of months - Connahs Quay, Wrecsam etc - again with a laughable turnout (much to the annoyance of the EDL). Same thing in Scotland where the SDL tried to get involved in the Bedroom Tax = and were given two fingers.

Bit strange the Police asking for info on large bookings. Chosen Modus Operendi is coaches picking up football grounds of ill repute, paid for by the EDL bank-roller Alan Lake, and dropping as close to the nearest Wetherspoons as possible.

Why Llandudno? Because the WDL won't come this far north and the NWAGC only need a taxi so they will behoping the EDL will beef them up on what will be a busy saturday tourist-wise, hopefully with good weather and thanks to the A55/M53/M6/M56 is within an hour by coach of some of the most 'tasty' football firms in the country - such as the Stoke Norty-Forty, Burnley Suicid Squad, Oldham FYC, Liverpool Urchins, City Guvnors, United Men in Black, Everton Cutters etc etc who will all be available due to lack of games.

That's why Llandudno. Probably won't work though because most of the EDL can't be a*sed with Wales and Scotland so it will probably be around half-a-dozen NWAGC again (at least 2 of which in Wrecsam the other month weren't Welsh they were English living in Wales)

Offline Trojan

« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2013, 09:29:22 pm »
Why Llandudno? Because the WDL won't come this far north and the NWAGC only need a taxi so they will behoping the EDL will beef them up on what will be a busy saturday tourist-wise, hopefully with good weather and thanks to the A55/M53/M6/M56 is within an hour by coach of some of the most 'tasty' football firms in the country -[/b] such as the Stoke Norty-Forty, Burnley Suicid Squad, Oldham FYC, Liverpool Urchins, City Guvnors, United Men in Black, Everton Cutters etc etc who will all be available due to lack of games.

http://englishdefenceleague.org/

Not racist-not violent-no longer silent.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2013, 09:41:33 pm »
The EDL "leader" Paul Harris, took Tommy Robinsons' name. Tommy Robinson was a well known "face" in Luton Town's hooligan firm the MIGS.

Another AKA is Stephen Yaxley Lennon. http://www.loonwatch.com/tag/stephen-yaxley-lennon/

Actually, Robinson isn’t his real name, and his prison sentence has nothing to do with standing up for anyone’s freedom. Stephen Yaxley-Lennon (his real name, or possibly another alias) pleaded guilty to using someone else’s passport to illegally enter the United States, in order to speak at one of Geller’s anti-Muslim rallies. And he resorted to this ruse because he was previously barred from the US due to his violent criminal record.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2013, 11:59:15 pm »
Quote... ''Probably won't work though because most of the EDL can't be a*sed with Wales and Scotland so it will probably be around half-a-dozen NWAGC again''

That concurs with what my brother in law says,  apparently the hard core nutters of the EDL and similar groups will not be bothered travelling as far as Llandudno.  He is quite certain it will be a non-event.

I just hope that it's not 'famous last words'

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -