Author Topic: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno  (Read 137570 times)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Re: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2013, 09:28:18 pm »
There are four of those open-topped buses parked in the Alpine yard most nights, so what do they do with them. Surely they can't all be on the Llandudno/Conwy run. And in terms of passengers carried, I often see one between the two towns with virtually no passengers on it - perhaps they have all 'hopped off'!!

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2013, 09:33:36 pm »
I think I'm right in saying that despite having a fundamental 'right to demonstrate', there is an application process that any potential demo must go through in order to be permitted.
They can be disallowed on several grounds, but rarely are.

If these organisations have not applied, than it cannot simply be assumed the demo will go ahead, and can be banned.

If these organisations HAVE applied and been permitted, then the CCBC and Police Chief responsible should be immediately sacked.
It is entirely inappropriate to have any such rally in a seaside town, especially on a busy day when children and pensioners are here to ENJOY themselves, not be subjected to hatred and vitriol.

There are 6 weeks for those in authority to see sense, and nip this lunacy in the bud.

Politics does not come in to it, when I see that certain people on facebook are just looking forward to coming to Llandudno on August 10th to 'crack some heads'

We have now received E Mail from OWL ( NW Police) asking us to inform them of any large groups of single men trying to make bookings-- some have already booked ( not with us thank goodness)

Strikes me something bigger is afoot than people think.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2013, 11:13:38 pm »
There are four of those open-topped buses parked in the Alpine yard most nights, so what do they do with them. Surely they can't all be on the Llandudno/Conwy run. And in terms of passengers carried, I often see one between the two towns with virtually no passengers on it - perhaps they have all 'hopped off'!!

When I worked there they had two out on the road operating the Llandudno/Conwy service at any one time plus they would need a third as a spare to cover for a breakdown or if one was in for a service/MOT etc... Maybe the fourth is the one Mike referred to as the shuttle bus.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2013, 12:58:25 am »
I think I'm right in saying that despite having a fundamental 'right to demonstrate', there is an application process that any potential demo must go through in order to be permitted.
They can be disallowed on several grounds, but rarely are.

If these organisations have not applied, than it cannot simply be assumed the demo will go ahead, and can be banned.

If these organisations HAVE applied and been permitted, then the CCBC and Police Chief responsible should be immediately sacked.
It is entirely inappropriate to have any such rally in a seaside town, especially on a busy day when children and pensioners are here to ENJOY themselves, not be subjected to hatred and vitriol.

There are 6 weeks for those in authority to see sense, and nip this lunacy in the bud.

Politics does not come in to it, when I see that certain people on facebook are just looking forward to coming to Llandudno on August 10th to 'crack some heads'

We have now received E Mail from OWL ( NW Police) asking us to inform them of any large groups of single men trying to make bookings-- some have already booked ( not with us thank goodness)

Strikes me something bigger is afoot than people think.

CCBC have confirmed that those intending to demonstrate have NOT yet applied to do so through the required channels.
They do have have the power to disallow, amend the route or defer the event.
They also need to liaise with the Chief Constable as events such as this can be disallowed due to policing resources.
We all know that CCBC is a very sensible and wise group of people, so I trust they will use their powers adroitly.

Strange though that Wetherspoons, Cottage Loaf and others have already decided to close on that day, thus making it a victory for the disruptive elements and they have concluded that it will go ahead.
Official police advice is for businesses to remain open on that day, and not let the rally disrupt the town's usual business.
Easier said than done.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2013, 12:59:15 am »
Fester, by me using two words such as ‘Elderly People’, I fail to comprehend how I actually agree with you with your proposed relocation of the current Coach Park.

Do you know most of the elderly people I see on the pier are far more agile than me?

Perhaps, they are regular customers of yours.

Seriously, Llandudno has a Land Train route from the Pier Gates down to West Shore and back again.

I believe another route from the Coach Park to the Pier Gates for a couple of hours in the morning and from the Pier Gates to the Coach Park for another couple of hours in the afternoon would soon solve your problem especially if it was sponsored by the Pier Company.

From memory, my previous disagreement with you was over your complaint that last weekend’s Triathlon was going to be an ‘obstacle to tourism’.

Was it?

Yes.
Fester...

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2013, 12:00:06 pm »
Strange how the pubs don;t just employ door men for the day.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2013, 12:03:58 am »
Strange how the pubs don;t just employ door men for the day.

A good point Wrex, that's what the Pier Company intend to do... and have only one gate open to make it easy to secure. (The Main entrance on the Prom)
Fester...

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2013, 06:24:54 am »
How can a company like Wetherspoons just say ok and shut up shop for the day in the middle of summer, i know NWP over react when it comes to football matches at Wrexham and this is the same,they are practically closeing the town down because of a handfull of thugs,common sense is never used.Have doormen on everypub,if the numbers get out of hand then demand closure,let them have their demo and sheperd them out of town.

Offline Jack

« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2013, 08:02:36 am »
According to Sue Nash, manager of Victoria Centre, in a letter to her tenants; North Wales Police have not instructed any business to close.  Two pubs have a national policy that in the event of such rallies they close. That has nothing to do with NWP. If other pubs have chosen to close that has been their choice.

Offline Jack

« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2013, 08:07:33 am »
The letter!

Offline Jack

« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2013, 10:02:09 pm »
Latest from North Wales Police regarding August rally:

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to you in relation to a proposed Protest in Llandudno on Saturday 10th August 2013. I am aware that there has been media coverage surrounding this event which has generated concern amongst residents, and the business community. I am writing to you as a valued member of this community and to provide you with an insight into what North Wales Police and our Partner Agencies are doing.

We are aware of and preparing for a potential planned event by the North Wales Alliance Gogledd Cymru (NWAGC),and that a group known as Unite the Union intend to hold a counter demonstration in Llandudno on the same day. Both groups state their intention is to undertake a peaceful protest. It remains unclear how many will attend either demonstration. Facebook pages for each organisation indicate around 100 supporters have stated an intention to attend on the day. Clearly we are monitoring the situation and will continue to do so.

European Human Rights law, enshrine an individual’s right to carry out peaceful protest. Indeed for the police, national guidance developed through good practice and case law now directs that our starting point should always be the presumption in favour of facilitating peaceful assembly and not preventing it from taking place. Article 11 ECHR places a duty the police not to prevent, hinder or apply unreasonable restrictions to a peaceful assembly. In addition we must take reasonable and appropriate measures to protect a peaceful protest.

An order to ban any march can only be authorised by the Home Secretary.

Such an order would only be authorised if there was evidence that the powers available to the police to place restrictions on a march were insufficient to prevent serious public disorder.

I should add that although circumstances exist where it is possible to seek the Home Secretary’s agreement to ban a public procession no such power exists in relation to banning a public assembly.

The Public Order Act 1988 provides the necessary powers to place restrictions on both marches and public assemblies under certain conditions. These restrictions must be proportionate, legitimate and necessary and must also stand scrutiny when held up against both UK legislation and European Human Rights Law. Again the use of these powers remains under constant review.

Despite assurances from NWAGC and Unite the Union that they intend to hold a peaceful demonstration it is recognised that there remains a risk of disorder. Given this risk and the uncertainty regarding numbers taking part on the day a significant policing operation is being planned. The primary purpose of that operation is to facilitate lawful and peaceful protest however the resourcing of the event will ensure appropriate contingency measures are in place to minimise the risk of serious disorder and minimise the disruption to the local community.

Recent media reports have suggested that the police have advised local businesses to close. This is not the case. No business has been advised to close.

Local officers will continue to  work closely with local community representatives. We have a good relationship with people in the communities that we serve and we will talk to them about any concerns they might have and reassure them that public safety is our priority.

In summary, North Wales Police continues to be in dialogue with the two groups as we seek to discharge our legal obligations to facilitate peaceful protest. Together with our partners we will keep the situation under constant review to ensure the safety of the public, including the use of any specific police powers, is appropriate, proportionate and lawful. We will continue to share this information with you as a representative and key stakeholder within the community. 

I trust this response addresses the concerns you may have and I would ask that if you hold any information that you wish to share our preferred contact would be Northwalespolice@nthwales.pnn.police.uk  or the Force Control Room on 101.

We are particularly keen to hear of increased bookings from large groups on or around the date of the protest and I would encourage you to share such information with North Wales Police as directed above.

Please feel free to share the content of this letter with your colleagues in other business forums.

Yours Sincerely

Steve Williams

Uwcharolygydd Dros dro /Temporary Superintendent

Gwasanaethau Plismona Lleol  - Local Policing Services

Estyniad/Extension: 88751
Llinell Union/Direct Line: 01745 588751

Symudol/Mobile: 07810 528556

E mail : Steven.Williams@nthwales.pnn.police.uk

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2013, 12:43:47 am »
Thanks for the update Jack.
Fester...

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2013, 07:12:14 am »
Thanks, Jack.  Very useful.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2013, 12:41:08 pm »
Very strange! The counter protest is not from 'a group known as Unite the Union'
As this 'group' has over three million members I'd expect that to be a pretty large counter demo  $angry$

Given they don't even know the specifics of who they are dealing with, I imagine this whole thing is going to be chaos.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2013, 12:56:05 pm »
Both groups are from well outside the area and just seem to be using Llandudno as a playground. I suggest they both b****r off.  $good$