Author Topic: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno  (Read 137555 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2012, 07:02:58 am »
Its hard enough getting any coaches here these days without whisking the tourists we do get off to Conwy.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2012, 07:08:49 am »
The idea of Hop on, Hop off buses is just what it says.  You can get on or get off anywhere it stops.   It does not have to have a start and end point but it does have to have a convenient spot for driver changes, or to stop for longer periods than the normal stops.     ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2012, 07:56:30 am »
There lies the problem.

The route allocated to Our Hop on, Hop off bus takes it along the promenade in front of Venue Cymru.

It turns right at the sailing club and then left at the Broadway roundabout to travel through C-y-D and onwards to Conwy.

Day trippers arriving at the Mostyn Broadway Coach Station during the morning miss it.

Its Number 200 route should be amended to re-route it to stop, pick-up and drop-off at a bus stop right outside the Mostyn Broadway Coach Station.

There is plenty of room along that stretch of road for another bus stop.

The amended route could allow the bus (now full of day visitors) to then turn left at the Broadway roundabout and left again at the sailing club to travel along our magnificent promenade with its first stop being at the pier entrance.

Passengers are free to hop off now to walk along the pier or hop off later after visiting Conwy.

If the General Manager of the Pier cannot persuade the powers-that-be to allow visiting coach drivers to drop their passengers off at the pier entrance then my solution surely offers a sensible compromise?

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2012, 03:36:22 pm »
Just before gojng onto the pier earlier, I noticed our HoHo bus is £7.50 for adults and only £6 for senior citizens.

This must be the cheapest HoHo bus in the whole world and it is rarely half full.

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2012, 04:15:25 pm »
 $angry$ What about us wheelchair users and the Equality Act 2010? $pain$
Micox

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2012, 06:10:24 pm »
Same prices, I guess.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 12:58:02 pm »
I am surprised the red hop-on hop-off bus owned by Alpine does not stay parked up in the bus stop outside the Mostyn Broadway Coach Park during the time when all the day visitors begin arriving.

The bus would soon fill up.

It was nice to see an Alpine Heritage open deck bus parked in the Mostyn Broadway bus stop this morning at 10.30am waiting for the coaches to arrive.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 01:34:06 pm »
I saw that yesterday, I wondered what it was there for. I couldn't see any signage?

Offline hollins

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2012, 02:55:40 pm »
It was there when I passed a couple of hours ago. I wondered if it was there to promote its use for private hire, weddings etc because that was what it said on it.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2012, 05:26:08 pm »
It may only be a coincidence but I suggested it to one of the drivers for Alpine near the pier gates last week.

I suppose if Alpine used one of their red HoHo buses they could be accused of not keeping to their scheduled City Sightseeing 200 route.

If they manage to attract a few day visitors alighting the coaches then good luck to them I say.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2012, 05:47:10 pm »
If they could afford an extra driver in the spare bus at the busiest times they could possibly run it as a duplicate service so it wouldn't impact on the regular service vehicle.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2012, 06:01:50 pm »
except route 200 goes down the promenade and not along Mostyn Broadway and past the coach park where it should travel.

What is there to stop a passenger getting off in Conwy and catching a red HoHo back to Llandudno?

Offline colfair

promenade/welcome lights
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2012, 11:41:46 am »
Greetings all,
            I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on why the council are so apathetic about the 'decorative' lighting on the promenade and the welcome/croeso sign atop Penrhyn hill? a couple of years ago the council actually made the effort to extend the promenade lighting beyond venue cymru and all the way to Bodafon fields, only to leave them switched off for the majority of the year!!
            We pride ourselves as being a year round resort now, so why are we giving the impression to early/late season visitors that we can't be bothered to welcome them properly? These lights should be on every day of the year, not just a couple of hours from July to August. Hoteliers and traders are struggling enough without the council taking a couldn't care less attitude to the image of the town. I know there will be people who argue that it costs too much to run them, but this is just stupid shortsightedness, and there are some who will argue that the town would be better off without tourists, well, If that is what they want,maybe they should move to a town that doesn't have a tourism trade? Like it or not, we ARE a holiday destination (and a damn good one too) but we are in danger of spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar !

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: promenade/welcome lights
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2012, 12:55:03 pm »
I totally agree, Llandudno was built for tourists and are the main source of income still. We seem to be going backwards in presentation sadly  :(
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline colfair

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2012, 01:17:35 pm »
Lo and Behold, 21st June, 9p.m. two vans with cherrypickers arrive on CYD promenade and proceed to fettle the coloured lights along the prom, tightening up bulbs that are unlit and generally looking busy. Having got all the bulbs working they then switched them off and went home !!  Nice bit of overtime there lads!