Author Topic: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno  (Read 137560 times)

Offline Dave

Re: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno
« Reply #510 on: August 16, 2016, 02:32:17 pm »
I did the touristy thing as I had visitors staying with us two weeks ago. Everywhere we went was busy and I was surprised just how many people there were on holiday in North Wales. I'm told it's difficult to get a room in Llandudno at the weekends if you haven't booked in advance.
Whenever I am in town all the cafes seem to be full of customers and judging by the numbers open they must be doing well. I hear Macdonalds want to open 24/7 now.
It seems to me that if you offer what the customers want then you can't go too far wrong. Money might be tight, and it's likely to get tighter but as a consequence there will be more people staying in the UK for their holidays and more foreigners pouring in to take advantage of the exchange rates.
The majority do of course do want to see a litter free, clean environment and the availability of a decent loo is always a necessity. Both the council and private business can do their bit . Shops and businesses could brush their pavement areas every morning, it would be nice to see some hanging baskets too. However, the overriding thing that will bring tourists back is value for money, appropriate entertainment and the availability of parking space. The latter I believe is critical and that's where the council need to concentrate their efforts and that doesn't mean employing more traffic wardens ( or whatever they call themselves nowadays). Low cost and plentiful parking is doable, even if it involves park and ride.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #511 on: August 16, 2016, 03:35:30 pm »
A couple of points about parking in the town.:

Since charges began on the prom all the people who work in the town park on the residential streets, thus filling them up before the tourists arrive.

Since Travelodge opened it's doors 82 rooms worth of people arrive to find no designated car park.

No wonder parking is as it is !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #512 on: August 16, 2016, 04:49:35 pm »
Dave..."Shops and businesses could brush their pavement areas every morning,"

I agree with what you say, and in particular shops cleaning their area, before and during and after business, I think this would greatly improve the town.                    Maybe it should be made compulsory.

Since charges began on the prom all the people who work in the town park on the residential streets, thus filling them up before the tourists arrive.
Since Travelodge opened it's doors 82 rooms worth of people arrive to find no designated car park.
No wonder parking is as it is !

And we have yet to come, the new Pay and Display arriving on Gloddaeth St and Westshore .

Offline Hugo

« Reply #513 on: October 01, 2016, 12:06:32 pm »
It's not a local matter but I thought that I'd share this article that I read today in the Daily Mirror.    It came under the heading of " Quackers fine for feeding ducks in river"
An over zealous litter warden gave a woman an £80.00 on the spot penalty when she threw breadcrumbs into the River  Loose in Maidstone for the Ducks.
The Maidstone Council have now suspended a team of 10 litter wardens from the Kingdom Security  firm and the contract is now being reviewed.
Isn't that the same firm that CCBC uses for the Conwy County area?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #514 on: October 01, 2016, 12:17:58 pm »
Yes they are everywhere, here's an article I bookmarked last year............

Litter firm compared to the Stasi makes £2million profit as it issues 116 fines a DAY - including people who gave bread to ducks
Officials for Kingdom Security has issued 42,529 fines for 16 councils
New figures lead to fears officers get bonuses for handing out penalties
One litter warden forced smoker off a bus for dropping butt on pavement
Warden then used character Judge Dredd's catchphrase: 'I am the law'

Sorry it's from the DFM............. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3375071/Litter-firm-compared-Stasi-makes-2million-profit-issues-116-fines-DAY-including-people-gave-bread-ducks.html

Offline Hugo

« Reply #515 on: October 01, 2016, 12:22:55 pm »
Steve, I'm shocked as I thought that Ian was the only one who reads the DFM             :o

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #516 on: October 01, 2016, 01:17:33 pm »
 :D

Justice will be swift, Hugo... WWW WWW
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

Re: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno and N. WALES
« Reply #517 on: February 22, 2017, 01:26:16 pm »
This looks nasty, I had heard that the new Rateable values could be a good thing for Llandudno as they were paying to much, but this is going to cause problems....

Hotels set to suffer, “This will impact on Llandudno but it is also a big issue in rural areas where hotels are often at the centre of the local economy.
This has seen some key hotels in the region hit with dramatic hikes in their rateable values, which in turn leads to rises in business rates paid.

The Imperial Hotel in Llandudno faces an annual increase from £237,000 to £302,000, while the St George’s Hotel in the town is being hit with an increase of £50,000.

Full article...
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/caernarfons-black-boy-pub-boss-12637280

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #518 on: February 22, 2017, 04:01:52 pm »
Take a look how many hotels guest houses are on the market now ,can see even more soon with these big rises.

Offline mull

« Reply #519 on: August 09, 2017, 09:33:44 am »
Sunday 16 July 2017.

Arrived hotel at West Shore after a 300 mile drive at 1800hours.
!830 we set off to walk into town for something to eat . Lovely evening and Llandudno looking good.
Passed the Tram Station and arrived at the Kings Head, Always been good in passed visits.
Found a table outside and went in to get a menu at 1857. Young man inside advised me I would have to be quick as kitchen closing at 1900 . He was not sure what was left to eat.
Decided to move on.
Could not believe they had refused to serve food so early in the evening, for heavens sake it is the middle of July !

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #520 on: August 09, 2017, 10:50:35 am »
Mull,
That's a massive problem in Llandudno and many, many other towns.
Unless you want a kebab, then have to order by 8.30 at the latest, everywhere.

That's why I spend more and more time in Spain, where we can basically order whatever we want at any time of the day or night. 
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

« Reply #521 on: August 15, 2017, 11:05:15 am »
Fined for a dog off the lead: "I was frightened not to pay it"
Heather was fined £75 for walking her dog off the lead on Llandudno beach 9/8/17.

Another Kingdom security mess, guilty or not, she was frightened by the wardens, and will not be returning to Llandudno, and to make matters worse, she was interviewed on BBC Radio Wales.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05by7yq

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #522 on: August 15, 2017, 11:47:19 am »
I noticed on the beach now they have these massive wind sail looking things everywhere with a picture of a dog crossed out.
They look very tacky in my opinion. Would be a lot easier if they'd get rid of Himmler Security and employ a beach warden who could patrol the beach and advise people they shouldn't let their dogs on there. If they still refuse after being warned that's when you fine them. Surely for the sake of 25k a year that can't be too difficult? There is enough traffic wardens in town surely the beach deserves one - he could even commute between both beaches. If they can pay a "sickness lord" 80k a year they can afford a beach warden $walesflag$

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #523 on: August 15, 2017, 01:14:22 pm »
Do we not still have a promenade inspector? At one time he used to set off at a rare pace chasing people who took a dog on to the beach.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #524 on: August 15, 2017, 01:23:08 pm »
Do we not still have a promenade inspector? At one time he used to set off at a rare pace chasing people who took a dog on to the beach.

Nem, I have seen inspector's on both prom's recently,  (the Westshore chap uses a quad bike)
not sure what their duties are though.