Author Topic: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno  (Read 139292 times)

Offline FatAndy

Re: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno
« Reply #360 on: September 10, 2014, 08:50:01 am »
Incidentally,  that most offensive of litter, dog poo, is STILL evident on the pier every morning, and every night..... because this is when most dog walkers are on there largely unseen,  and it is precisely when the wardens are NOT working!

I'm sure I remember that once upon a time dogs were banned from the pier so perhaps the solution is bring back that ban?  There are plenty of far more suitable places around to walk a dog, especially considering the lack of grass verges along the pier.

The other possible solution would be for dog owners to purchase a pack of Doggy Diapers.....which I will be presenting to the Dragons on the next series of Dragons Den.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #361 on: September 10, 2014, 08:53:57 am »

The other possible solution would be for dog owners to purchase a pack of Doggy Diapers.....which I will be presenting to the Dragons on the next series of Dragons Den.

Too late, mate!  It's already been done.   :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #362 on: September 10, 2014, 08:57:07 am »
I've often wondered what happens with guide dogs? The owners can't pick up after them, so what happens?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #363 on: September 10, 2014, 09:01:28 am »
I've often wondered what happens with guide dogs? The owners can't pick up after them, so what happens?

I thought that was interesting so I googled it and found this

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/04/25/blind-man-ian-bradwell-fined-after-failing-to-pick-up-guide-dogs-poo_n_1451957.html

Seems it doesn't happen often but they are exempt from fines

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #364 on: September 10, 2014, 09:07:10 am »
Andy my dog loves her walk along the pier  I am one of the sensible owners it annoys me when people don,t pick the poo up ,3rolls of bags cost 99p from home bargains ,that is what them guys should monitor more instead of stalking smokers ,I would sooner stand on a cig end than dog crap .

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #365 on: September 10, 2014, 09:59:06 am »
Here is a quote from an interesting article....."The Corruption of Punishment" how litter fines became a business

"Such financial incentives have led to a corruption of pun
ishment. The official issuing the fine has a (direct or indirect)
financial interest in punishing people. Their concern becomes
not to discharge a public service, but to look for people they can
fine. There is no room for leniency, or for issuing a warning, since
every missed fine is missed income."

Full article...
http://www.manifestoclub.com/files/corruptionofpunishment.pdf

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #366 on: September 10, 2014, 10:42:03 am »
Beware..........................(I wanted the theme from "Jaws" playing in the background, not that clever.)

"On Tuesday a young mother was given a £75 fixed penalty notice for throwing bread to the ducks in her local park.

According to the report, a warden approached Vanessa Kelly and her 17-month-old son Harry, and issued them with the FPN for littering."  (Sandwell Council)      >>>

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #367 on: September 10, 2014, 11:48:58 am »
You see there is evidence I just couldn't be bothered to look for it.

Thanks Steve  $good$

http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/123836/1-000-people-fined-in-conwy-county-for-littering.aspx

1000 people a year ago - this racket is big business

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #368 on: September 10, 2014, 12:28:53 pm »
The ducks incident took place 5 years ago and the council backed down:

"A council backed down today over a fine issued to a young mother for feeding the ducks with her 17-month-old son, pledging to adopt a "common sense approach".

Vanessa Kelly, 26, was given a £75 fixed penalty notice for littering last Tuesday, after a warden saw her and her son throwing bread at a duck pond in Smethwick Hall Park in the West Midlands.

Ms Kelly, from Oldbury, West Midlands, was told she was not in a "designated feeding area", but today Sandwell Council dropped the fine and promised to improved signage in the park.

The council's deputy leader, Councillor Darren Cooper, said: "We will take a common sense approach to this matter and for this reason we will not pursue payment for Vanessa Kelly's fixed penalty notice while we improve signs at Smethwick Hall Park.

"The new signs will make it abundantly clear that feeding of waterfowl is not allowed at all in this park and that anyone observed feeding the geese and any other birds will receive a fixed penalty notice."

Do we have any recent evidence concerning Llandudno?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #369 on: September 10, 2014, 01:25:58 pm »

Thanks Steve  $good$

http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/123836/1-000-people-fined-in-conwy-county-for-littering.aspx

The other way to interpret this is that there are still far too many people out there who haven't yet got the message that their anti-social behaviour will not be tolerated.  To me that suggests there's a continued need for enforcement and perhaps even a need for more enforcement.  The Pioneer article is actually quite useful as a deterrent in that it helps to make people more aware of the potential consequences of littering but I'd like to see far more publicity around this.  Perhaps a weekly "name & shame" column in the Pioneer showing the faces of offenders?

Emo Philips

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #370 on: September 10, 2014, 01:29:53 pm »
Andy my dog loves her walk along the pier  I am one of the sensible owners it annoys me when people don,t pick the poo up ,3rolls of bags cost 99p from home bargains ,that is what them guys should monitor more instead of stalking smokers ,I would sooner stand on a cig end than dog crap .

What about his number threes?  Personally given the choice I'd rather not stand on a cig end, drop crap or in a puddle of urine  &shake&.

Emo Philips

Offline Dave

« Reply #371 on: September 10, 2014, 02:20:21 pm »

So many missed opportunities, the Tour costs could have easily been recovered...those fine collectors have bikes too don't they ?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #372 on: September 10, 2014, 02:54:14 pm »

Thanks Steve  $good$

The other way to interpret this is that there are still far too many people out there who haven't yet got the message that their anti-social behaviour will not be tolerated.  To me that suggests there's a continued need for enforcement and perhaps even a need for more enforcement.  The Pioneer article is actually quite useful as a deterrent in that it helps to make people more aware of the potential consequences of littering but I'd like to see far more publicity around this.  Perhaps a weekly "name & shame" column in the Pioneer showing the faces of offenders?

Problem with that is the Pioneer don't want to get into legal problems by naming individuals.
No what we need is some kind of local anonymous blog, something that can tackle the issues in our town head on and name and shame all the individuals involved.

_))*

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #373 on: September 10, 2014, 03:41:06 pm »
Just to keep Ian happy. I must clarify that the above statement is all my opinion that I think

You can't say all of them behave in an abrupt almost aggressive manner. That's a ridiculous generalisation.

They are little more than gangsters in uniforms running a racket. They are scum basically and should be in the 'scum' thread. I for one don't appreciate these bullies being on the street extorting money from locals and visitors alike.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #374 on: September 10, 2014, 03:55:43 pm »
You're good at taking things out of context D)

I said

"You can't say all of them behave in an abrupt almost aggressive manner. That's a ridiculous generalisation."

About Fester generalising about orthodox Jews - The equalities act 2010 protects people of "religion, belief or lack of religion/belief"

Now as these litter police gangster/nazi/scrotes are not as I'm aware, any kind of organised religion or race I can say exactly what I like about them.

I believe their organisation is a racket. It should be illegal, and that anybody doing that job should be ASHAMED of themselves.

Now if you don't agree with me that's fine  $good$ I welcome some debate. But lets not be silly and go dredging up other posts that have nothing to do with this whatsoever.

Thank you