Author Topic: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno  (Read 137547 times)

craigollerton

Re: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno
« Reply #300 on: August 13, 2014, 02:32:59 pm »
Being critical now, but hopefully constructive!!!

When I used to go to the local camera club the "judges" often dismissed photos which featured a closed gate, saying the gate should be open to allow you through into the picture.  I think the same here, accepting there is a stile, but it does give the impression of having to climb over a fence to get to where you want to go.  Perhaps a half-open gate would be better?

Having got the visitors into Wales we need to sort out the many eyesores so they can appreciate the real beauty of the area properly - but that's another agument!

$good$

Hi DVT, I accept your views. As with anything in design, it is all very subjective and as a designer I take criticism on the chin all the time. I have several renditions of that particular design, these are only possible outcomes and I always take the view that anything can be refined or improved further. For me partially blocking the scene with a style as opposed to an open gate was to suggest the idea of stepping over and into the scene. The style from the Brecons was juxtaposed with the A5 past Betws-y-Coed capturing two thought pathways, one of scenic travel through Wales and one of walks in Wales or using transportation as means of getting there, effectively hitting two birds with one stone.

On the point you make above, another more tangible design concept below of the other poster with the windbreak closed doesn't work quite the same as the wooden style as the style has slats giving partial view through.

Couldn't agree more about your last argument, so many eyesores in Wales now. Don't get me started on the pavilion  _))*

Copyright (C) Craig Ollerton.
Design concept, Arrivals, Holyhead Station Platform.

Copyright (C) Craig Ollerton.
Collage, sketchbook work leading to design concepts.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #301 on: August 13, 2014, 02:52:52 pm »
Is that top one Llandudno railway station?

craigollerton

« Reply #302 on: August 13, 2014, 03:13:38 pm »
Is that top one Llandudno railway station?

Holyhead B2R.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #303 on: August 13, 2014, 04:38:03 pm »
Ok, so did you make the poster and then put the windbreaker in front of it to photograph? I'm a bit confused, I assume the windbreaker doesn't stay there all the time?

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #304 on: August 13, 2014, 05:15:29 pm »
Ok, so did you make the poster and then put the windbreaker in front of it to photograph? I'm a bit confused, I assume the windbreaker doesn't stay there all the time?

In Holyhead ? Id give it 10 mins tops before its nicked !

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #305 on: August 14, 2014, 12:25:26 pm »
That's what I thought  L0L

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Fixed Penalty Litter ''Officers''
« Reply #306 on: September 04, 2014, 11:14:22 pm »
I have been annoyed and irritated by these unprofessional looking 'characters' for a long time now.
But today, I saw them in action again, and I am incensed!    $angry$ $angry$

Don't get me wrong, I don't like litter, or selfish people causing litter, but there are some real serious issues associated with these people who are employed to prevent it.
I saw 2 very young girls on the pier, (perhaps 18 years), and they were sharing a cigarette on a bench.
The scruffy looking ''officers'' were poised like predators on the bench opposite.
As soon as one girl flicked the cig butt into the sea, they pounced... and immediately hit them BOTH with a £75 fixed fine.
They didn't look like they would ever have the means to pay this amount.
A number of issues sprang to my mind.

1, There was no bins anywhere near the girls, for them to use.
2, There are no signs on the pier to say ''no smoking' .... though I think there should be,
3, There are NO WARNING signs, anywhere (that I have seen), which says there is a £75 fine for those causing litter, or at least not prominently displayed.
4, There was no 'let off, or first warning' for these girls,  it is obviously therefore a money making scam.
5, These ''officers'' look like scruffy youths, certain not professional or official looking.... why should they be taken seriously?
6, Taking the personal details of 'young girls' is questionable at any time in this day and age.... how do we know that other 'unscrupulous' types might copy this, in order to get peoples details.

I could go on and on.... and I have said that I do not want litter,  but there MUST be a better way of policing it than this???

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
Re: Fixed Penalty Litter ''Officers''
« Reply #307 on: September 05, 2014, 01:43:31 am »
Being a bit of a devils advocate, but doesn't everyone know that you can't just drop litter anywhere these days?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #308 on: September 05, 2014, 08:23:03 am »
I could go on and on.... and I have said that I do not want litter,  but there MUST be a better way of policing it than this???

What would you suggest?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline FatAndy

Re: Fixed Penalty Litter ''Officers''
« Reply #309 on: September 05, 2014, 08:51:07 am »
I have been annoyed and irritated by these unprofessional looking 'characters' for a long time now.
But today, I saw them in action again, and I am incensed!    $angry$ $angry$

Were they geninue litter inspectors and not just a couple of chancers trying it on?  I don't know if I'm just completely unobservant but I can't recall ever seeing one of these litter inspectors so I don't know what they look like, although I've seen more than enough instances when I wished there was one about.  If they were genuine and they were the ones funded by the council then they shouldn't be on the pier as it's private property, unless the pier owners are contribuing towards the cost.

As for any smoker I have no sympathy whatsoever if they choose to dispose of their litter in an antisocial manner.  Any litter thrown into the sea is likely to get washed up on the beach and given the obsession many people in Llandudno have about preserving the beaches I doubt there'll be too much sympathy shown elsewhere either.  All smokers should invest in one of these - http://www.tarlock.co.uk/stub-pouches.php.  I don't know how much a packet of fags costs these days but I'm sure if you can afford to buy them you can easily afford £2.25 + £2.99 p&p in order to keep your filthy, stinking waste to yourself and not inflict it on others.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #310 on: September 05, 2014, 09:00:48 am »
I wouldn't have thought their jurisdiction covered the sea so until it washes up on shore can it be classed as litter or is it jetsam?
Valar Morghulis

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #311 on: September 05, 2014, 09:15:03 am »
I don,t like litter, it is not just cig ends but they are the easy targets,  1 the cig end is still on the ground when they both leave so where is the sense, the pier is private and I heard the manager invited them on I also heard he got fined  oops , I seen an old guy getting a ticket last week (not for a cig end) he was eating a gregs pie a seagull swooped paper blew on floor yes you know the rest they swooped with the ticket  ,common sense they don,t have .  One last thing would you lift the lid up on them filthy blue bins on the prom I have won,t again .

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #312 on: September 05, 2014, 09:26:55 am »
Were they geninue litter inspectors and not just a couple of chancers trying it on?  I don't know if I'm just completely unobservant but I can't recall ever seeing one of these litter inspectors so I don't know what they look like, although I've seen more than enough instances when I wished there was one about.

That's the problem, you do NOT see them, they should be a deterrent , I said it before, they should be in HI VIS uniforms, not waiting in ambush..... $angry$

they are working on commision and a bonus, what do you expect, this bunch are wrong for what is needed, they do not stop littering, by not being seen... $angry$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #313 on: September 05, 2014, 10:49:15 am »
I'm sure if you can afford to buy them you can easily afford £2.25 + £2.99 p&p in order to keep your filthy, stinking waste to yourself and not inflict it on others.

Always nice to see disinterested comments...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #314 on: September 05, 2014, 11:07:37 am »
Why not throw fag ends into the briny, how on Earth do you think we get smoked Haddock?    :D

These Litter Inspectors are dressed all in black and by the looks of them probably have evening jobs as Nightclub Bouncers.   They have very little identifying marks as to who and what they are.  The company who employ them work purely on a rake off from the £75 FPN's they issue.  There is your incentive to issue as any as possible, when a word in the ear would possibly get more results.

By the appearance of the messin our roads they are much less than effective. :rage:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero