Author Topic: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno  (Read 138803 times)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno
« Reply #240 on: June 18, 2014, 10:47:19 am »
The analogy is flawed. When you shop in Asda you're paying for specific items you need and will use. With communities, however, there are many things for which you must pay that you will never use nor want, but to which you must contribute through council tax. This is called democracy.

I've always thought Council Tax was misnamed; it implies you're being taxed simply for choosing to live in a particular area when in fact it's simply a contribution towards the running costs of that community. And it is only a contribution: much of the CCBC finance comes through the RSG and formula grant from central government.

Ian, I rather think my analogy is entirely accurate.
Part of the council tax is a direct payment towards the Parks and Gardening Budget, which I pay in the knowledge that CCBC are now obliged to keep the grass verges relatively tidy.
I do realise that I am also required to contribute to some services that I might never use, but that as you say, is democracy.
I think my old bug-bear the Llandudno Swimming Centre would come into that category for many people.

I simply object to paying for things that I am entitled to, that are then either not provided, or are done to a poor standard.

In a nutshell, the Council Tax bill increases every year, whilst the services delivered for it continually deteriorate.
bear in mind also that there are NUMEROUS Council officials on more than £100,000 per year.   Value for money?

Most of Llandudno swimming pool now closed for the month!! Only the deep end is open as there is problems with the floor ;D

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #241 on: June 18, 2014, 12:16:08 pm »
Yes Ian, no problem!

Okay.  It seems you can't see images which are retrieved via our media gallery, but you can see those which are simply posted through the normal method.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #242 on: June 18, 2014, 12:28:49 pm »

so the total expenditure by the council is £210m, of which the lowly taxpayers contribute 21.4%.

In reality, of course, the Revenue Support Grant element is paid for by taxpayers (albeit not solely in Conwy County) as well, making our contribution around 80% of expenditure.

But all government expenditure is funded via taxation, so that's a bit of a red herring, Dave, as we're specifically discussing Council Tax and its relevance to cutting Fester's verge. In that sense, the Tax payers' contribution, as opposed to the Council Tax payers' is 100%, especially as the government seems intent on flogging off all the profitable elements of their businesses at knock-down prices to their cronies. 

But where d'you draw the line? There have been cases of people withholding income tax and other taxes in protest at government strategies, such as wars. Or you could simply follow the example of that bastion of fairness, the egregious Thatcher, and move all your taxable assets overseas and out of reach. I've often said that my wife and I are probably keeping the entire armed forces afloat, such is our tax bill, but taxes are an important element of a just society, so we pay up...and look miserable.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #243 on: June 18, 2014, 02:03:49 pm »
taxes are an important element of a just society,
Can't remember the name of the chap who said "The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation." but he was probably right...

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #244 on: June 18, 2014, 04:15:17 pm »
Lenin  $good$

Didn't think Communism was allowed on here though  ;D

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #245 on: June 18, 2014, 04:18:22 pm »
 (To Dave) _))* _))* _))*

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #246 on: June 18, 2014, 04:20:53 pm »
But a more serious point:  what taxes should be eliminated?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #247 on: June 18, 2014, 04:34:53 pm »

Bedroom tax for a start

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #248 on: June 18, 2014, 05:09:19 pm »

Bedroom tax for a start
A Tax is defined as 'A compulsory contribution to state revenue, levied by the government on workers' income and business profits, or added to the cost of some goods, services, and transactions'. How does a reduction in a benefit paid qualify?

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #249 on: June 18, 2014, 05:46:54 pm »

Bedroom tax for a start

I would tend to agree with that and it typifies the party that introduced a tax on the poorer section of the community.   Revenue has to come from somewhere but it would be interesting to know the comparison between the amount saved by the introduction of the bedroom tax against a tax levied on properties in the UK that are valued over £1 million and also the rebanding  of all the properties in England.
Would the present Government do this?     No chance whatsoever as they wouldn't do anything as it would affect their MP's and their supporters.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #250 on: June 18, 2014, 05:59:29 pm »
I would tend to agree with that and it typifies the party that introduced a tax on the poorer section of the community.
I'm still hoping that someone can explain to me how it is a tax?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #251 on: June 18, 2014, 06:24:08 pm »
I would tend to agree with that and it typifies the party that introduced a tax on the poorer section of the community.
I'm still hoping that someone can explain to me how it is a tax?

It isn't a tax as such, it's obviously an attempt at a saving in benefit payouts and has  just been labelled a bedroom tax.  Having said that those savings are at the expense of the poorer members of society and could possibly have be achieved by increasing the tax on £1 million properties and rebanding all other properties in the UK that weren't rebanded when those in Wales were.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #252 on: June 18, 2014, 08:35:44 pm »
Exactly, the use of the word 'tax' is an attempt to mislead people.

Another question - why is it right that working class people cannot afford to have an extra bedroom but people living on benefits can?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #253 on: June 18, 2014, 10:01:07 pm »
Exactly, the use of the word 'tax' is an attempt to mislead people.

Another question - why is it right that working class people cannot afford to have an extra bedroom but people living on benefits can?

That's not quite correct as the "bedroom tax" only applies to people who don't own their own property and those tenants are from working class people as well as the benefit people.
If you mean that working class people who own their own home cannot afford an extra bedroom because for example they live within their  means then that is another matter completely.
I still think that money could be raised from taxing expensive property and also England should have the houses rebanded just like we had in Wales about 10 years ago but that would be a definite vote loser for the Government in power.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #254 on: June 18, 2014, 11:40:49 pm »

Capital Gains Tax on share dealing for one!

If I walk in to a bookies,  bet a fiver and win a tenner.... I get to keep the winnings.
If I purchase shares in a company, and by sheer luck they increase in value,  then I have to pay 28% of the value that I have 'won'

I have never understood how that can be fair.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -