Author Topic: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno  (Read 137564 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno
« Reply #210 on: June 11, 2014, 05:21:34 pm »
Where do these Community Payback teams work? They could be put to good use putting bedding plants in, weeding etc.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #211 on: June 15, 2014, 08:29:09 am »
CCBC please take note,the cuts you have made in the parks dept are making Llandudno a mess,the fact that no gigs have happenend in the Arena since last May(2013) is not helping the Llandudno economy the hoteliers are up in arms about one car rally,why the hell are they not bothered about no groups appearing in the 2,500 Arena,at least 300 people would be staying for every gig yet not a word,no sense hoteliers.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #212 on: June 15, 2014, 09:01:46 am »
Careful Wrex-- alot of Hoteliers have more on their minds than gigs.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #213 on: June 15, 2014, 09:45:31 am »
Sorry Nem but if hoteliers don;t complain about the lack of people CCBC are bringing into Llandudno or why the hell the parks dept have stopped cutting grass then there is no hope for tourism.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #214 on: June 15, 2014, 10:25:44 pm »
Further to the subject of 'overgrown Llandudno'.

I went away on holiday last week, and the grass verge outside my house on LLwynon Road was the worst I had ever seen it.
But, I couldn't believe my eyes when I returned from holiday and it still had not been touched.  :o
The picture below shows what any tourist catching the bus to the Orme summit would witness.
The massive weed in the middle of the shot has about 10 sturdy stalks, and is about 3 ft tall (and growing everyday)
Is the 'Fix my street' link to CCBC any use in tackling this?   
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #215 on: June 16, 2014, 07:50:51 am »
Fester just phone one or both of your county clls(gogarth) and tell them you get paid to sort this mess out so sort it,PLEASE.Sorry i have no idea who they are though.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #216 on: June 16, 2014, 08:58:09 am »
But, I couldn't believe my eyes when I returned from holiday and it still had not been touched.

Perhaps all the residents could come together and form a working party?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #217 on: June 16, 2014, 09:08:41 am »
But, I couldn't believe my eyes when I returned from holiday and it still had not been touched.

...subject to a reduction in Council Tax, naturally?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #218 on: June 16, 2014, 11:11:45 am »
Naturally  WWW WWW WWW
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #219 on: June 16, 2014, 11:19:39 am »
I was on West Shore Prom yesterday for the Car Club event and, at the end, was approached by a lady who asked me what was the name of the beach.  I told her it was the "West Shore" and she asked if it was part of Llandudno.  I was a bit taken aback by this, but she then told me that she had been to the "other" beach with her children and was disgusted (by the boulders and lack of sand) and had somehow stumbled across West Shore.  Although the tide was in you could see some sand and I told her that when it went out there was a vast expanse of sand, although you shouldn't venture too far out.

She thanked me and said next time she brought the kids she would head for West Shore.  I told her there was a cafe at the end and she left happy and looking forward to a coffee.  Unfortunately, I forgot to ask where she was from, but iobviously not local!

I'm sure for every tourist that finds West Shore there are plenty that don't and, having seen Boulder Beach, will not return to the town.

As for the general untidiness there is also the safety aspect.  Failure to cut the "hedge" as you turn into Mostyn Street by Tudno Castle means you cannot see pedestrians about to step out.  Similarly the high grass on the Black Cat A55 roundabout, whe exiting from Colwyn Bay, means you cannot see low cars coming from the right.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #220 on: June 16, 2014, 05:02:24 pm »
If the St Grorges hotel left its grass uncut and flower beds unweeded then it would not attract many visitors soCCBC the same applys too Llandudno.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #221 on: June 16, 2014, 05:07:36 pm »
Similarly the high grass on the Black Cat A55 roundabout, whe exiting from Colwyn Bay, means you cannot see low cars coming from the right.

indeed.  But interestingly hedges on roundabouts are often used to impede visibility so as to slow down cars on their approach.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #222 on: June 16, 2014, 07:43:22 pm »
H A HA i love the size of DaveR;s weed next to the floral clock,i think someone has been feeding it.The grass on the West Shore is horendous yet no worrys whatsoever,filthy town will be the message from tourists,shower CCBC

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #223 on: June 16, 2014, 10:17:32 pm »

Perhaps I should also pay for a trolley full of shopping in Asda, but then just leave it with them out of kindness?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #224 on: June 17, 2014, 06:59:42 am »
The analogy is flawed. When you shop in Asda you're paying for specific items you need and will use. With communities, however, there are many things for which you must pay that you will never use nor want, but to which you must contribute through council tax. This is called democracy.

I've always thought Council Tax was misnamed; it implies you're being taxed simply for choosing to live in a particular area when in fact it's simply a contribution towards the running costs of that community. And it is only a contribution: much of the CCBC finance comes through the RSG and formula grant from central government.