Author Topic: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno  (Read 139398 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno
« Reply #180 on: August 16, 2013, 08:09:33 pm »
It isn't just here-- we have just been away for a few days and many places that we have visited were much quieter than last year.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #181 on: August 16, 2013, 08:54:11 pm »
DaveR and a coffee shop,no suprise there then.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #182 on: August 16, 2013, 10:03:56 pm »
DaveR and a coffee shop,no suprise there then.

Good to see you yesterday Wrex! (Just around the corner from where we live!)  :D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #183 on: August 16, 2013, 11:13:01 pm »
That’s nothing new, Ian.

There are lots me and Fester disagree on.

Even we have often given the pier a miss this summer as it is always so busy when we reach the pier gates.

Perhaps, pedestrians don’t get as far as Fester’s Emporium on the Pier because they turn back if they begin to meet an obstruction or a bottleneck.

Yes, Bri you do... and it does feel that you go out of your way to do so occasions, but no matter.

With reference to what you say though, there have been a number of well documented bottle-necks on the pier this year due to important (if poorly managed) restoration work. You are correct about that.
However, they were at their worst in July during the heatwave, when I quite frankly 'raked it in'
So, now that they are gone, and yet August is a poor month for everyone (except national coffee shops it seems), then that could lend weight to my theory that visitors spent their hard-earned earlier this year.  Thats all I'm saying.

The other traders I speak to range from people at the beginning of the pier where no bottlenecks exist, the Pier manager himself, various bar and cafe owners in Mostyn St.   All report a disappointing August.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #184 on: August 17, 2013, 07:51:35 am »
The other traders I speak to range from people at the beginning of the pier where no bottlenecks exist, 

Untrue.

They do exist occasionally and I believe the cause is the volume of pedestrians in conjunction with the selfish positioning of retail stands by kiosk holders.

When these bottlenecks occur on the way down, we always exit the pier at the second entrance upon our return journey in order to avoid them.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #185 on: August 17, 2013, 10:31:42 am »
It's July and August Bri, and the Pier traders like everyone else have to make hay whilst the sun shines. It's just what we have to contend with by living in a popular seaside resort. Once you accept that life becomes a lot easier.  $sunny$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #186 on: August 17, 2013, 11:33:57 am »
Just back from the Edinburgh Festival - to say that you couldn't get another person in with a shoe horn would be an underestimate it's absolutely heaving.  Locals plus foreigners.  Shows that you offer good stuff and people will come and it's not expensive. Saw very good Fringe shows for just £5 and concerts for £25.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #187 on: August 17, 2013, 01:11:20 pm »
It's July and August Bri, and the Pier traders like everyone else have to make hay whilst the sun shines. It's just what we have to contend with by living in a popular seaside resort. Once you accept that life becomes a lot easier.

Blongb, do you remember the statement – send three and four pence we are going to a dance?

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #188 on: August 17, 2013, 03:41:28 pm »

Blongb, do you remember the statement – send three and four pence we are going to a dance?

I don't take sides Bri, just call it as I see it.

Its like when I used to get wound-up driving down Mostyn Street because of all the people crossing over where ever and cars pulling out without looking, it drove me to distraction. Then one particularly bad day my OH said, "for goodness sake, why don't you treat it  as if your driving through a car park". Such good advice and so much more stress free since heading her words of wisdom.   $thanx$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #189 on: August 17, 2013, 04:04:57 pm »
for goodness sake, why don't you treat it  as if your driving through a car park".

Excellent advice.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #190 on: August 17, 2013, 04:41:17 pm »

Never mind, Blongb, I won’t bother explaining.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #191 on: August 17, 2013, 09:03:49 pm »

Never mind, Blongb, I won’t bother explaining.

It might be worth it though Bri, because I have genuinely never heard that phrase in my life, please educate me!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bigmurph

« Reply #192 on: August 17, 2013, 09:07:28 pm »
Llandudno is a nice town I have stayed a few times because of the work at the station, the station is busy loads of people going for a few days or a full week , I come come from an ex seaside resort that was busy in its day but people found more exotic places to go like llandudno,looking from the outside what the town needs is to tell people it's there and it's a nice place.

Offline mull

« Reply #193 on: August 18, 2013, 12:22:47 am »
Is this the Jethro joke about his sister Nance going to the dance ?

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #194 on: August 18, 2013, 01:33:02 am »
           The saying "Send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance" was meant to be   "send reinforcements, we're going to advance" as far as I can remember, though I can't quite understand the relevance in this case.