Author Topic: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno  (Read 139192 times)

Offline FatAndy

Re: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno
« Reply #135 on: July 17, 2013, 03:46:53 pm »
I suppose what I have seen this evening must be deemed an obstacle to tourism.

This evening, we enjoyed a family meal at the Afon Conwy on Glan Conwy corner.

There must be around 100 families of visitors staying in the Premier Inn next door every evening.

I think my concern would be that 100 families of visitors booked into a hotel that according to Premier Inn's website is in Llandudno only to find themselves stranded five miles away with only a petrol station for entertainment  :o.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Trojan

« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2013, 01:24:02 am »
More about it here:

http://casualsunited.wordpress.com/2013/07/15/llandudno-demo-postponed-edl/

"A blog for peaceful hooligans"  $lol$

More like, "A blog for hooligans too old to be hooligans anymore"

Offline Trojan

« Reply #137 on: July 18, 2013, 01:31:43 am »
Nice one Dave, Halewood Chains is a gang from my youth, if you watch LFC games you will also see a banner from my old pub, now sadly knocked down but the legend lives on, The Leather Bottle.

I remember chasing you down Walton Breck Road Alan.   $bounce$

Offline Trojan

« Reply #138 on: July 18, 2013, 01:35:57 am »
I suppose what I have seen this evening must be deemed an obstacle to tourism.

This evening, we enjoyed a family meal at the Afon Conwy on Glan Conwy corner.

There must be around 100 families of visitors staying in the Premier Inn next door every evening.

I think my concern would be that 100 families of visitors booked into a hotel that according to Premier Inn's website is in Llandudno only to find themselves stranded five miles away with only a petrol station for entertainment  :o.

They could always go to Cineworld in "Llandudno" http://www.cineworld.co.uk/cinemas/llandudno/information

Offline Big Alan

• Scouse not English
« Reply #139 on: July 18, 2013, 07:03:32 pm »
Nice one Dave, Halewood Chains is a gang from my youth, if you watch LFC games you will also see a banner from my old pub, now sadly knocked down but the legend lives on, The Leather Bottle.

These colours don't run  8)
Justice for the 96

Offline Trojan

« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2013, 04:53:24 am »

These colours don't run  8)

:laugh:

Offline MacMillan

« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2013, 02:08:25 am »
In recognition of this, the  General Manager of Llandudno Pier, Simon Mason, has this week been making a direct attempt to divert coaches from the coach park, and to drop off their passengers near the Pier
In fairness, he has suggested that rather than all coaches drop off at the pier, there could be a fairer system whereby some coaches come to the pier, some to Gloddaeth St and others to the coach park.  (Perhaps other places too)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 08:46:28 am by DaveR »

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2013, 06:03:08 am »
Interesting, but why the links to shoe adverts?  ???
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #143 on: August 06, 2013, 06:33:29 am »
I wonder if CCBC will allow the owners of the Summit Café, Bodafon Farm and the West Shore Café to do something similar.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: August 06, 2013, 08:46:03 am »
MacMillan is a spambot, I doubt you'll get much sense out of it.  :laugh:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #145 on: August 07, 2013, 12:13:26 am »
MacMillan is a spambot, I doubt you'll get much sense out of it.  :laugh:

...or the GM of Llandudno Pier.  :laugh: :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Jonty Hammers

« Reply #146 on: August 07, 2013, 02:17:55 pm »
Llandudno's damned to a rather peculiar fate. Forced to advertise itself as a seaside resort, because that's the reputation it's built up in the past century or so; but thanks to mishandling of sea defenses, the beach which is supposed the prime location in the town doesn't actually have much in the way of a...er...beach. (ADDENDUM - Alright - it has West Shore. Can't knock that, as it is a fairly lovely beach. But the town built up its reputation around the North Shore, and therein lies the rub.)

The apparent gap has been decorated with all the usual bits and bobs associated with seaside resorts, from donkeys to deckchairs, but it's a ludicrous and rather saddening situation when hundreds of visitors are corralled into the relatively small stretch of sand between the pier and the slipway.

Have to say I'm personally more fond of "the beach" (rock-pools; the occasional glimpse of sea-life; surfers etc) rather than "the seaside";  made up of candy-floss; the wurbling of Hammond Organs; straw hats; and screaming gulls if you ask me! In any case, the old Blackpool model no longer draws the crowds like it used to. Llandudno, Rhyl and Colwyn Bay all chased that prize, but the old adage of "it all went down hill when package holidays became cheap" still stands.

I've always tried to stress that Llandudno keeps trying to please the elderly when - forgive me for being brutally frank - that market cannot last forever. The people who came here during the 40s/50s and enjoyed summer holidays here are dwindling. And I'm terrified it'll start to resort to tackiness in a bid to keep people here. 

And there's probably already been a decent bit of chatter about it on the forum, but has anyone else seen that report by the Centre for Social Justice, covering the problems faced by seaside resorts throughout the UK? Makes an example of Rhyl as having gone downhill largely because the old hotels and guest houses made GREAT multiple-occupancy housing, attracting large amounts of pensioners and people of low-income. This has a knock-on effect on the following generations and is then difficult to get out of.

The only buffer Llandudno has is its large number of still-operating hotels and guest houses, and employers like the shops, large and small alike. Not to mention the fact that Rhyl, and to a lesser extent, Colwyn Bay, are there to "absorb" (awful word, I know!) the amount of people coming from the North-West down the coast. Once said buffer goes, that's it. Prepare for the downward spiral.

But that same report mentions how towns like Brighton and Eastbourne (or was it Bournemouth? A case of Bourne identities, eh? ???) have survived by - and this is the kicker - FOCUSING ON OTHER SECTORS. Llandudno risks a death by throwing the vast part of its eggs into a big resort-shaped basket. I visited Brighton with the family a while back and it's impressive what they've done there.

I'm not suggesting we ignore the resort part of the Llandudno cake as it's obviously important, but more needs to be done to help shops; small businesses; big businesses etc. Attracting private investment form a large firm would do Llandudno no harm at all.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #147 on: August 07, 2013, 04:13:19 pm »
The apparent gap has been decorated with all the usual bits and bobs associated with seaside resorts, from donkeys to deckchairs, but it's a ludicrous and rather saddening situation when hundreds of visitors are corralled into the relatively small stretch of sand between the pier and the slipway.

Sand?  :D

Isn't that Wrexs' favorite spot?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #148 on: August 07, 2013, 05:04:11 pm »
Jonty said.
I visited Brighton with the family a while back and it's impressive what they've done there.

Wrex would go mad there, unless they have replaced all the pebble beach with sand!    Buckets and spades are a no go in Brighton.  It is however famous for its variety of life!    ;)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: August 07, 2013, 05:55:13 pm »
I've always tried to stress that Llandudno keeps trying to please the elderly when - forgive me for being brutally frank - that market cannot last forever. The people who came here during the 40s/50s and enjoyed summer holidays here are dwindling.
Do people no longer get older then, Jonty? People are living longer and longer, and as they get older, they will all want somewhere pleasant with a gentler pace of life to go to on holiday. Enter the Queen of the Welsh Resorts. The early retired (50+) group is probably the most affluent in society; these are the people we need to attract.

The CFSJ report is here, if anyone would like to read it:
http://www.centreforsocialjustice.org.uk/UserStorage/pdf/Pdf%20reports/Turning-the-Tide.pdf