Author Topic: Toys of yesteryear  (Read 62569 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Toys of yesteryear
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2010, 09:00:58 am »
The chap concerned bought the lease for the entire platform, created a very passable coffee bar and housed a restaurant in an old carriage. It was a great shame that went bust, as it did with many others in the big recession of the early '90s.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2010, 09:15:50 am »
The chap concerned bought the lease for the entire platform, created a very passable coffee bar and housed a restaurant in an old carriage. It was a great shame that went bust, as it did with many others in the big recession of the early '90s.
The location, although great in many ways, had the big drawback that access from the town was only through the Station and over the Footbridge. I believe there was access from the Prom as well, using the little pedestrian tunnel under the Station originally created for guests at the Colwyn Bay Hotel. The signs for Platform 3 are still there today on the Prom.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2010, 10:01:02 am »
That's right.  But the issue was the access which was more convoluted than many folk liked.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2013, 10:45:12 am »
Used to enjoy playing Waddington's board games. In particular Careers...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2013, 10:46:53 am »
Another thing I'd forgotten about was the 3D viewers - Viewmaster - series which is said to have ceased production in 1960s but I know that Disney World still sell new ones.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2013, 11:36:00 am »
Have sold a few of those in the Charity Shop--- they always sell well.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2013, 12:57:23 pm »
Another thing I'd forgotten about was the 3D viewers - Viewmaster - series which is said to have ceased production in 1960s but I know that Disney World still sell new ones.

I have quite a few of the slides for these, some good ones of North Wales including Llandudno. The 3D system works well!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Trojan

« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2013, 03:31:06 pm »

Offline Trojan

« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2013, 03:58:08 pm »
Yorkie Action Man....with eagle eyes.

http://youtu.be/Q4VKd-Nuz9Y

Offline gaztrucker

« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2017, 07:49:04 pm »
anyone remember fentons in the bay? one side toys the other side electric lamps!!! the other one millers on rhos front also anyone remember the model shop at bog island in the 70s and the one in conwy on the road down to the quay there was another good model shop in craig y don in them days corner of victoria street think its an antique retro shop now

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2017, 10:52:11 pm »
I remember the model shop in CyD.

It was run by a good friend of mine from Deganwy by the name of Chris Watson.

Chris eventually took over Dunphys further down on the corner.

Offline DVT

« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2017, 08:51:33 am »
I remember Fentons, when I used to go to Colwyn Bay with Mum she would always buy me a Matchbox toy car!  (1950's)

Offline MikeW

« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2017, 10:47:50 am »
George Mellor's place was behind the end shop on the left hand side as you go up Rhos Road from the Prom.  He lived in Brewis Road, opposite Llandrillo Church.   $uk

Hello everyone.  I'm new to this site so just catching up on some older posts.  I was interested to hear your recollections of George Mellor and GEM.  My Dad was a train buff and knew George socially.  Latterly, George and his wife Laura moved to a house in Crossley Road nearly opposite St. George's Church.  As a lad, I can remember visiting him with my Dad.  He had a large loft which contained not only his railway layout but a small home cinema set-up.  I can remember watching some of his old railway film reels.  Happy memories.  It's only about 3 years since Laura finally passed away - she lived to a great age.  I wonder what happened to all of George's stuff... maybe went to auction at Rogers Jones?

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2018, 08:21:50 pm »
Lego was probably my favourite in childood/1st time round Pydew day. At one time. I particularly liked the train sets and tracks but you could make all sorts just with plain blocks.  The product as far as I can see seems to have moved with the times and while maybe even much further that just blocks (and I remember my excitement at just a lighting brick) and I gather remains popular.

A later gem to me was a Mamod traction engine - any one remember them.  I don't have my original but still now have one of these and a Wilesco "Old Smokey" traction engine.  Also in a similar line do have a simple Stirling engine.  I rarely fire them up but look at these as things to be played with once in a while rather than being one who say would want to keep a Mamod as an unfired collectors item.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2018, 10:48:27 am »
My box of Lego was my staple toy in the house, and my beloved bike outside.
I had a lot of subbuteo stuff, and soldiers of all kinds (airfix soldiers) and model aircraft and ships.
But Lego was amazing to me, I’d spend hours each day usuall making the exact same things time afterntime.
I had a a kit that made a London Bus, and I used some of those parts to make Star Trek space ships.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -