Author Topic: North Shore issues  (Read 26525 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: North Shore issues
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2019, 12:24:54 pm »
You are probably correct Steve but I wish that they came up with suggestions before they went into the pub and not afterwards:-

It must have been one heavy drinking session to come up with what they have suggested on the West Shore:-

To raise the cycle track by 300mm and to make it out of timber or recycled plastic

How on earth would that work when the wind blown sand can be more than 1500 mm?

Would the wood be strong enough to take the weight of a lorry with 10 tons of sand and a heavy JCB too         &shake&

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2020, 10:47:48 am »
Recent photos on FB, does Jennings get this as well ?

Offline SteveH

Re: Llandudno North Shore issues
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2023, 10:18:53 am »
Welsh Government won't fund return of sand to Llandudno?s North Shore

WELSH Government will not be using the coastal risk management programme to provide a flood defence solution for Llandudno, which includes the return of sand to the town?s North Shore beach.

Conwy County Borough Council?s cabinet has agreed to support a non-sand option for North Shore.

Welsh Government has approved the council?s funding application for a detailed design of the non-sand option.

READ MORE:  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/23312010.welsh-government-wont-fund-return-sand-llandudnos-north-shore/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

Re: Llandudno North Shore issues
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2023, 10:18:59 am »
A COUPLE of promenade shelters have been replaced along Llandudno?s North Shore beach.   ref pioneer

Conwy County Borough Council secured funding for this project via Welsh Government?s Brilliant Basics Scheme in late 2022.

The project has seen two of the seven shelters on North Shore?s promenade replaced; opposite the St George?s Hotel, and next to the paddling pool in Craig Y Don.

A council spokesperson confirmed that construction of the new shelters has been completed, and that contractors took down the barriers last Wednesday (April 5).

In the future, it is hoped that smart elements can be added to the structures in the form of solar PV and laptop and mobile phone charging points.

The old shelters were in poor condition, and without action, could have been at risk of closure in the future.

The new structures have maintained the old Victorian design and continue to offer seating and shelter, with ample opportunity to enjoy the views across Llandudno Bay.

?This project will contribute towards ongoing regeneration so Llandudno continues to thrive as a destination.?

Conwy County Borough Council is hoping to attract further investment to complete the replacement of the remaining five shelters.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2023, 11:10:14 am »
I haven't seen the new shelters yet but the photo probably doesn't do it any justice
Can anyone explain why there are two blurred images either side of the main picture.   It seems absolutely pointless to have the outer images blurred but it seems to be happening more often now and especially on videos

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2023, 11:15:00 am »
Can anyone explain why there are two blurred images either side of the main picture.   It seems absolutely pointless to have the outer images blurred but it seems to be happening more often now and especially on videos

Yes. It's a mobile 'phone photo, and most people seem blissfully unaware that we see in landscape and having to squint at a wide slit leaves a lot of information out. All people have to do is  turn their 'phones sideways to take the perfect image, yet very few manage this herculean task.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2023, 02:52:45 pm »
Thanks for explaining that Ian as I've wanted to ask the question before but didn't want to sound a bit stupid.     Why on earth anyone wants to take a pointless photo or video in that style is beyond my comprehension, maybe I'm getting too old for that type of thing

Offline DVT

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2023, 04:34:57 pm »
If you remove the centre (the clear) part and move the two sides together you get the same picture so what is the point of them ... why not crop the pic before publishing just the centre piece in portrait style? !!

Not Steve's doing, as he has taken the pic from somewhere else.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2023, 10:42:56 pm »
Our cameras don't take photos like that so I don't know why some phones have that facility, it's a bit naff really.     I knew it wasn't Steve's photo, that's why I asked the question as it had been puzzling me for ages

Offline SteveH

Re: North Shore issues........Update
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2023, 11:02:43 am »
The above photo came from the Pioneer, looks like a reader sent it in?

Photos below courtesy of FB

Offline Hugo

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2023, 02:11:20 pm »
Thanks Steve, that looks more like how photos should be 

Offline SteveH

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2023, 10:11:28 am »
Welsh Parliament petition created to save Llandudno?s North Shore

The petition, created by Cllr Ian Turner, calls for Welsh Government to fund the removal of quarry rocks and the restoration of sand and groynes to North Shore.

In February, it was confirmed that Welsh Government will not be using the coastal risk management programme to provide a flood defence solution for Llandudno, which includes the return of sand to the town?s North Shore beach.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/llandudno/23461012.welsh-parliament-petition-created-save-llandudnos-north-shore/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline Hugo

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2023, 05:23:46 pm »
I can understand the Welsh Government's stand on the North Shore issue.  If the Welsh Government paid for the removal of the quarry waste and replaced it with a sandy beach, Llandudno would only have a sea defence as effective as the one it replaced
Now if CCBC had had a referendum on the North Shore before dumping the quarry waste on the beach then the Welsh Government would have paid for the sand to be imported like they have done in Colwyn Bay and Rhos on Sea

Offline SteveH

« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2023, 10:02:25 am »
As much as I would like a sandy beach, I think the sea defences of llandudno are a priority, especially with climate changes, however looking at the photo below I wondered if putting sand on the lower levels with walkways over the cobbles would be an alternative?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2023, 09:45:03 am »
NORTH SHORE BEACH CLEAN

A clean-up of Llandudno's North Shore beach will be taking place later this month.

Date: Friday, May 26.
Time: 11am-noon.
To register:  Email Janet.finch-saunders@senedd.wales or call 01492 871 198