Author Topic: North Shore issues  (Read 26230 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
North Shore issues
« on: September 03, 2010, 03:10:50 pm »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
Re: North Shore issues
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 06:34:12 pm »
Do you think it would be a good idea to petition the Council to remove all the stones they put on the beach for safe keeping (or was it cheap storage) between the slipway and the Little Orme?  It would have two beneficial effects. Firstly the Council would be able to sell it for Building Ballast (which is all its fit for) so raising much needed revenue in these hard time and secondly, once its removed it would give us back our Sandy Beach who’s sad demise has been much lamented by Residents and Visitors alike. Trying to pass the stones off as essential Sea Defences is never going to wash, especially after the storm, just before Easter, proved how totally ineffectual they are. ))*     
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 07:00:24 pm »
 ::) Does any one else remember CCBC buying a super dooper machine for cleaning our sandy beaches,i know for a fact they never used it on the town beach.As we all know when the tide is in there is only a small patch of sand by the cenotaph showing so obviously this patch does not get cleaned by the tide,so why the hell is this small patch never cleaned with this machine,in September i had a weekend in Southport and their beach was cleaned everyday,on the way home we called at West Kirby,guess what their beach had also been cleaned so why can  our little patch be left for weeks covered in seaweed ,cans,litter,no respect. ???     

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 09:04:15 pm »
They should have repaired/replaced the old Victorian wooden breakwaters, they captured the sand between them and helped to break up the waves. Worked then why not now?   It was a nice sandy beach as far as the old Arcadia.
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Trojan

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 10:06:44 pm »
Used to get packed even when the tide was in.

Yorkie

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 01:31:17 pm »
They also seemed to have some bloody good weather in those days!    Z**

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
Proposed new lifeboat station
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 11:49:02 am »
Could someone please tell me what right John Reay has to approve of where the new station should be sighted and its design?  See todays NWWN.  Is he a qualified architect for example? Does he in fact have any qualifications at all?

I know it is because of him and others like him that this town has been allowed to fall into rack and ruin.  All things Victorian are wonderful - you know like children working down the mines or climbing up chimneys to clean them.  The sooner townsfolk stand up to narrow minded people the better! 
Yes I am cross!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Proposed new lifeboat station
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 12:32:35 pm »
Putting the Lifeboat issue aside, do you not think the reason people visit Llandudno because it is a well preserved Victorian seaside resort?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 01:18:10 pm »
Could someone please tell me what right John Reay has to approve of where the new station should be sighted and its design?  See todays NWWN.  Is he a qualified architect for example? Does he in fact have any qualifications at all?

Irrespective of what qualifications he has or has not - just like you and me he is entitled to express his views.  I don't neccessarily agree with any of his comments on this or any other matter but if nothing else he stimulates discussion.   And that can't be bad!    :)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 02:14:01 pm »
  All things Victorian are wonderful - you know like children working down the mines or climbing up chimneys to clean them. 

Keeps them off the streets!  ;D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 12:08:50 pm »
Yes of course he has the right to an express his opinions as I do and many like me. The problem is that he seems to be in charge.  Like saying in this weeks paper that his organisation will have to approve the design.  Why?  Who are they?  How dare he.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 12:10:39 pm »
No Dave of course no one comes here just because it's Victorian that's plain daft.  They come because of the scenery and the seaside and the fact that it is not overcrowded and in spite of people's best efforts to neglect it. $angry$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 01:22:48 pm »
No Dave of course no one comes here just because it's Victorian that's plain daft.  They come because of the scenery and the seaside and the fact that it is not overcrowded and in spite of people's best efforts to neglect it. $angry$
I have to disagree completely. I think the town's Victorian architecture is a major factor in its attractiveness as a seaside resort.

What do other people think?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 02:16:06 pm »
The Victorian bits are the best bits! take them away and there is not a lot left really is there?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 03:23:10 pm »
Er...the Great Orme, the Little Orme, the West shore, the North Shore...

Seriously, there are Victoriana aspects which make the place more enticing, such as the tramway and the Pier, but I suspect more may have to do with Mostyn's tight control over what can and can't be done on places like the prom.

BOT:

"Among the chief opponents to the idea of a new boat house close to the pier have been conservation group Save Our Promenade, but spokesman John Lawson-Reay said they would look favourably on plans to build it at Craig y Don provided that it was designed to blend in with the surrounding area.

“A site between Craig y Don and Craigside would be away from the town’s conservation area, and could be less visually intrusive provided the RNLI comes up with an acceptable design. We will be interested to see what they come up with if the trials show that it is viable to launch the boat from there,” he commented."

"Could someone please tell me what right John Reay has to approve of where the new station should be sighted and its design?  See todays NWWN.  Is he a qualified architect for example? Does he in fact have any qualifications at all?"

JLR has  involved in a long succession of "Save our..(insert appropriate word here)" - type organisations, since the late '80s. As a freelance BBC TV news cameraman, he has a good eye for visual aspects, so I wouldn't condemn him on that, but his long history with so many different groups perhaps throws his apparent commitment to any one into some question...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.